Re: Last movie you watched

Faldor wrote:

I thought 'Unknown' was rubbish, it looked like a cheap rip off of Bourne except more expensive. I figured out the twist as sooned

SPOILER Show
Liam Neeson was rude to the hotel staff. no movie hero takes out their anger on the little guy

I don't really Liam Neeson now all he seems to do is get angry at people.

My friend and my wife were all watching it and I kept joking about Liam's voice and how he always sounds angry, with maybe Qui-Gon and Aslan being couple of exceptions.

Show
Usually I am not a fan of a movie who paints its protagonist as not really a hero, but more shady, even though we're supposed to cheer him on. However, just from a psychological point of view, I found the whole concept of assuming an identity you were pretending to be fascinating.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://moviebuzzers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Haywire-Poster-2.png

Pretty cool. It's like a stylish JCVD or Seagal movie. It's a bit underwritten, but the action is great and Soderbergh called in all his favors to fill out the cast. I'd happily see the next Gina Carano movie, altho she's probably best used in a supporting role.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I am currently watching the next Gina Carano movie in which she is in a supporting role.

(Fast and Furious 6)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I keep meaning to catch up with Haywire. My life has been consumed with watching The Sopranos recently. Almost wrapping up Season 5.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really enjoyed Haywire for what it was - a showcase for Gina Carano to beat the crap out of a series of guest stars.  But hey - if that's all a movie is trying to do and does it really well - then good on ya, movie.

Tonight I watched Evil Dead (2013) and Fast & Furious 6 (2013). The former was a not rubbish remake/reboot/whatever and the latter was one of the most ridiculous action movies I have ever seen. Although, having seen Fast Five, I am not entirely sure what else I was expecting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh gosh yes. Fast and the Furious 6 is ridiculous.

(Has anyone already come up with the idea for a bizarro version of Kickstarter?—call it "Kneecapper," a site that allows people to donate money toward stopping certain projects. Get enough people to pitch in, and you could essentially pay Vin Diesel to stop making Fast and the Furious movies. Reasonable people across the globe could band together and bribe M. Night Shyamalan to take an early retirement. Just think...)

BTW, for the best thing to come out of the Fast and the Furious franchise, I nominate this season's premiere of Futurama, which lampooned the tropes beautifully.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/Wag_The_Dog_Poster.jpg
A comedy about truth justice and other special effects

Revisited Wag the Dog, last night. love the movie, love the music, but if you ever see the book it was "based" on in the wild, kill it, kill it with fire.

Last edited by AshDigital (2013-07-07 12:13:29)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

The Killing by Stanley Kubrick, which was not as good as Paths of Glory but was decent for Sterling Hayden being Sterling Hayden.

Speaking of Paths of Glory, does anybody else whose seen this film have a problem with the fact that all the actors (with the exception of the girl singing at the end) are supposed to be French but none of them actually are?

Both movies are definitely worth recommending.

ThrowbackSoul wrote:

Speaking of Paths of Glory, does anybody else whose seen this film have a problem with the fact that all the actors (with the exception of the girl singing at the end) are supposed to be French but none of them actually are?

Captain Picard was supposed to be French, but he's as English as they come (right down to his accent and Earl Grey tea). Does that bother anyone? big_smile

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It bothers me that Vikings seem to always get some sort of Scottish accent. It makes no sense.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ThrowbackSoul wrote:

They're all speaking French. We're just hearing them speak through a universal translator which puts it into English for us smile

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So my last 3 watches seem to have a common theme of surreal reality. Not planned at all.

The Machinist - 7/10

http://www.topzine.cz/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/7-the-machinist.jpg

Not seen it for a long time. Not quite as amazing as I remember it, it can become fairly one-note in tone, which is intentional I suppose. Still incredible acting from Christian Bale, and the cinematography is consistently great.

Trance - 7/10

http://www.screendaily.com/pictures/636xAny/7/8/1/1168781_Trance-2.jpg

Danny Boyle rarely disappoints. Competent filmmaking with great cinematography and use of color. As always Boyle uses music and pace to keep the film interesting throughout. For me I was never able to fully invest myself emotionally, the movie is more of an intellectual ride. Definitely worth seeing.

Jacob's Ladder - 8/10

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sp5JLkF8b1k/UHdO5qjP1UI/AAAAAAAAMlI/c2nLi2mbNvw/s1600/Jacob's+Ladder+Screenshot+2.png

I cannot believe I overlooked this film for so long. I wasn't even aware it existed until fairly recently. This film is great because it feels both part of an older era of filmmaking, yet still surprisingly fresh. I simultaneously feel this movie is one of those were, after you watch it, the feeling of "they don't make them like they used to" is very much there, yet at the same time I could see Aronofsky or Nolan making something very close to this. The direction is absolutely sublime, and everything is crafted so carefully, and executed very well. The actors are all great, Tim Robbins in particular is so naturalistic and believable.

It's hard to describe without giving away things, but this one is definitely recommended for the plot, actors, characters and the vibe and mood it captures. If you like Aronofsky or Nolan, and particularly if you, like me, sometimes feel like much of what is released today is similar in style and execution, you need to see this, otherwise you risk missing out on a great film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've always liked Jacob's Ladder as well - saw it a few times in the theater and had a VHS copy for a while.  May need to pick it up again as it has been many years since I watched it.  Twisted and sad, but ultimately uplifting (as I recall).

So far this week I've watched:
Some Like It Hot (love me some Jack Lemmon, and a damn hilarious movie);
The Third Man (finally got a Criterion bluray copy, so had to rewatch it - beautiful transfer and cinemetography, plus Orson Welles stealing the movie in basically one scene);
Miller's Crossing (my 3rd favorite Coen Bros film, and another one that's gorgeous to look at - love the dialogue and Gabriel Byrne's accent).

And I've got The Sting on its way.  Seen it before, but after the WAYDM commentary, I had to actually buy it and look forward to watching it again.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/0EZ4X.jpg

IT SCHTINKS!

Paul Bales also wrote 2010: Moby Dick, so he clearly CAN do better, but this dog's dialog is dull and lifeless, and it's not at all helped by a story that requires protagonists who take an hour and ten minutes to take action.

The production values are surprisingly good, altho some of the visual effects are pretty wobbly. Acting and director are adequate but not inventive—even Jake Busey seems subdued. It really is let down by dialog that isn't stupid enough to be funny or sharp enough to be entertaining.

dbngaa wrote:

So far this week I've watched:
Some Like It Hot (love me some Jack Lemmon, and a damn hilarious movie);
The Third Man (finally got a Criterion bluray copy, so had to rewatch it - beautiful transfer and cinemetography, plus Orson Welles stealing the movie in basically one scene);
Miller's Crossing (my 3rd favorite Coen Bros film, and another one that's gorgeous to look at - love the dialogue and Gabriel Byrne's accent).

The only thing I found funny about Some Like It Hot was Tony Curtis spoofing Cary Grant. Everything else was pretty blah.

The Third Man is is amazing, tho. It made me want to write screenplays. It did NOT make me want to take up the zither....

TechNoir: The Machinist was surprisingly solid. It felt a bit like a feature length Twilight Zone episode or something.

Last edited by Zarban (2013-07-13 23:11:17)

Oh, Zarban, I am disappoint, Some Like It Hot is great, it's a classic. Each to his own, though.

This week I watched GI Joe: Retaliation (not bad action, The Rock is awesome and Bruce Willis remains a stalwart but it's a bit dull), Man Of Steel (ugh) and The Town (quite liked it but it was mumble-tastic, I kept wanting them to speak louder and clearer). Thinking about what to watch next right now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha! I'm with you on the zither, Zarban.  Even after watching The Third Man several times, I still occasionally yell at the zither to shut the hell up. 

Went to see a documentary this weekend - first time I've watched a doc in a theater - Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me.  I'm a fan of the band (they are my Firefly of music), so I'm a biased reviewer, but I really, really enjoyed it.  Not only for the vintage footage I had never seen, but also a fairly comprehensive group of interviewees.  There were a few slow, or belabored spots, and also a few times where I thought they left stuff out; but on the whole I'd recommend it even for people unfamiliar with the group. 

Then I watched Sneakers, both to keep up the Robert Redford theme and also because this movie just makes me happy.  The cast, the score, the combination of story elements all make me smile.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, I watched "The Clone Wars" with my youngest brother last night...

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's not a movie!  tongue

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

He could be talking about the initial movie, which is pretty enjoyable. I'm a fan of the Clone Wars. I can't say for sure how much of that enjoyment is due to having been battered down by the prequels and seeing this as a welcome return to 'fun' Star Wars. It's all not great (what series is?), but the episodic nature of the show allows one to drop in/drop out as you please.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/rwg9rQ9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XKR1tqa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Eot8pBm.jpg?1?4096

http://i.imgur.com/uUm40JJ.jpg?1?1784

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Explodes with Atomic Laughter"

Boy, you don't hear that much anymore.

Cyber is the new Atomic.

"A movie so Cyber-larious.... You'll Virtually Explode!"

Doesn't the "Not suitable for children" text on the Strangelove poster seem a little unwarrented, even in 1964? All the grown-up-level jokes seem fairly well embedded in innuendo and such. Is it the depiction of [spoiler ahead -->] nuclear holocaust that they don't want kids to see? I mean, during those years kids were routinely taught to fear the bomb and the power of atomic weapons. (It's strange how some of the shit people feel is unsuitable for kids today—like depictions of firearm violence—was a-okay 50 or 60 years ago in children's entertainment.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down