Topic: GRAVITY

Do I think GRAVITY is the best film of the year because Alfonso Cuarón is my favorite filmmaker working today, or is Cuarón my favorite filmmaker because he makes films like GRAVITY?

Maybe that’s a question for the philosophers — but with the Tomatometer sitting pretty at 97%, and a record-breaking streak at the box office, I don’t think it’s just me.

GRAVITY could also be titled “Murphy’s Law: The Movie,” as anything that can go wrong (and a number of things that, realistically, probably couldn’t) does, in the most catastrophic way possible. In fact, GRAVITY takes the view that catastrophic failure is the only kind when it comes to the vacuum of space.

I first heard about GRAVITY when reports came out that Cuarón — for whom long takes with roving cameras have become a signature — was working with his visual effects team to plan out a 17-minute continuous take for the opening of the film. I’ve seen other directors take their “signature” too far (Shyamalan and the Big Twist, for example), so I was a little leery of this news, but decided to remain cautiously optimistic.

I needn’t have worried. While nothing else in the film approaches the opening shot’s length, there are plenty of long takes and all of them are used for good reason. It places us in space, with the characters, experiencing the wonder and terror — mostly terror — of moving through the great abyss. I have a general disdain for “impossible” long takes — see PANIC ROOM for a good example of what doesn’t work — but somehow, in Cuarón’s hands, they work fine. It’s often said that much of editing is knowing when not to cut — and Cuarón plays in God Mode.

Perhaps its because in his hands the long takes are clearly motivated and not simply showboating, so we can move from out in space to inside Sandra Bullock’s helmet looking through her POV and back out again and hardly be aware that the camera is “doing” something at all. The continuous emotional experience has kept its grip on us.

And the film is an emotional, highly visceral experience, a prime example of the reason we make movies and tell stories — to vicariously go through something we otherwise never would. A huge part of that experience – and I still can’t quite believe I’m saying this – is its use of 3D.

Anyone who knows anything about my opinions on movies knows I hate 3D as a rule. But, as with the impossible shots, in Cuarón’s hands it works. Not just works, in fact — for my money, it’s essential. The infinite, unfathomable depths of space are not just the setting — they’re the antagonist. To see the movie without a sense of depth would be like watching STAR WARS with Darth Vader’s dialogue removed. There’s still a sense of menace, you still get the gist, but man, it would not be the same.

I’ve focused pretty much exclusively on the craft and technique of the film, saying precious little about the actual story, mainly because I don’t want to spoil anything at all. So much of the film is in the discovery and the tension of the unknown. Keeping to broad strokes, then: it’s a simple story — incredibly so, considering the $100 million reported budget — of suspense, isolation, and the human will to survive and endure. Horrifying, exhilarating, exhausting and uplifting all in equal measure, it’s like the zero-g version of 127 HOURS.

I’d like to assure you it ends differently, but that would be telling. I can at least tell you that I’ll be willing — and likely — to watch GRAVITY again… and again…

Sandra Bullock carries the film brilliantly for long stretches without dialogue, in one stroke obliterating any and all my preconceived ideas of what she’s capable of as an actress, supported ably and amiably by George Clooney, who I really ought to be getting tired of by now but I like him more the more I see him. The pacing is tight and never lets up, the visual effects — of which nearly the entire movie is comprised — are groundbreaking, showstopping, and other such superlatives that nonetheless fail to encompass the magnitude of what’s been accomplished here.

Are there quibbles to be had? Sure. Some of the dialogue is clunky and a good chunk of it, especially in the latter half, is also unnecessary and could’ve been carried with a look. And there’s one scene that juuuust about everyone who’s seen the film wishes was handled at least a little differently. Some because the physics are questionable (or at least unclear), myself because it’s a fairly cliche beat in an otherwise fresh and original tale. But these are quibbles, nothing more, and the few things the film could perhaps have done better can’t begin to overwhelm what it knocked clear out of the solar system.

As big a proponent and fan as I am of seeing films in theaters, it’s becoming increasingly rare to find a film that really needs (or even deserves) to be seen on the big screen, rarer still to find a film that can rightfully be referred to as something you experience. GRAVITY is an experience unlike any other, one you will not be able to get by watching it on home video — not even with a 3D TV like the one this film is going to make me tempted to buy.

Run don’t walk to the nearest, soonest showing — and you may as well clear time later in your week for a second viewing, too.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: GRAVITY

Dorkman wrote:

Anyone who knows anything about my opinions on movies knows I hate 3D as a rule. But, as with the impossible shots, in Cuarón’s hands it works. Not just works, in fact — for my money, it’s essential.

I really wish I had seen everyone saying this before I went to see it opening weekend. I saw it in 2D, and as a college student subsisting on mostly ramen and animal crackers I can't justify going to see it again, even though it's without a doubt the best film I've seen in years. For what it's worth, I was just as terrified in 2D, but my chronic fear of open spaces might have something to do with that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The audience was in 3-D, and I think that's what's important.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wholeheartedly agree with Dorkman's comments.

I'll also note that I really am not sure I would have bought into the film as much if it had been Jolie and RDJ -- the two original "goal" cast members. I thought Bullock and Clooney worked amazingly well for the characters.

I was also impressed with how much of a "ride" it was. I, and several people I know, were worried it would get too introspective and "deep" to really just sit back and enjoy. However, there actually was very little of that, all things considered. There was the gratuitous "womb" shot (note to those that haven't seen it, it's not actually a shot of a womb), and clearly some high-concept exposition, but it fit in really fairly seamlessly with the madness that was happening.

This really was a technical and storytelling masterpiece, the likes of which we haven't seen a long while.

Can I also say -- I'm so incredibly thrilled it's doing well at the box office! From opening day to this past Thursday (one calendar week of showing) it's already surpassed it's production budget worldwide. Rumors were that they were hoping for it to clear $40 mil on opening weekend and it did $55 mil domestically and $85 worldwide. Considering the buzz that's been created -- I've yet to see a bad review or hear anyone not tell others to see it -- it might actually have some staying power, as well.

Both Cuaron & original Sci-Fi totally deserve this win. I can't wait to see what his next project is.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oooooooh. RDJ maybe not, but Jodie... yes. Three or four Jodies before Sandra.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha! I have you now, Typo-Fixing Man!

JoLie.  As in Angelina.   Which might have worked, she actually is quite good, but gimme Sandy any day.   

JoDie nowadays in Gravity... I don't think so.  But Contact-era Jodie... my god, that would have been something to see.

But agreed on RDJ, no no no.

holden

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey, I don't think Jolie is terrible or anything...I just think Bullock is a better fit for the role. Especially since she's probably closer to Contact-era Foster at this point than Foster is.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, she's as good in this as Jodie was in Contact, it's practically a revelation. Man I hope this kicks off a trend for her and she does more strong dramatic roles now instead of awful romantic comedies. She seriously hasn't been this good since Speed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked Sandra in this more than I have in...well, ever. I thought she was pretty mediocre in The Blind Side.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm a little surprised and confused by the over-the-top Sandra love this movie is getting.

Either I originally liked her more than everyone else and this movie is just a revelation for folks who didn't like her before, or I missed a couple of movies that are also called Gravity wherein she does something particularly different from what she usually does.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ditto.  Who didn't already know Sandra Bullock was awesome?   She's that rare thing we've talked about often on the show - an Oscar-caliber actress who'll do genre movies.   

I bet Streep would be awesome to watch all by herself in a Soyuz capsule too... but she doesn't do that kind of movie.   

Fortunately we have Sandra, Jodie, Naomi, and a few others who will.  smile

Ya, but what good Sandra roles have there been in the last decade? She hasn't had a Panic Room or a King Kong like the others you mentioned do. Outside of Speed and Demolition Man, she's mostly done crap, so ya, it's a bit of a surprise when she's in an awesome movie all of a sudden and totally nails the part. Not an indictment of her as an actress, she's just been stuck with bad material.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-10-12 21:13:03)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Miss Congeniality, The Blind Side "controversy" and a series of weird and not well received dramas and rom-coms.

That's who Sandra Bullock has been for the last decade and a bit. Not exactly a strong push for the amazing versatile oscar caliber actress category. (in the eyes of the general viewing public)

Btw. Speed and Demolition Man were almost 20 years ago.

EDIT: Damn you Bullet!

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-10-12 21:15:38)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Don't confuse crappy movies with crappy performances.   She's adorable in Speed 2.   And The Lake House.   And was also great in in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Shameless Oscar Bait. 

Also, The Heat is the most successful live-action comedy of 2013 so far.   So she's having a good year.

Sure, and the general viewing audience is absolutely reknowned for being able to distinguish between a crappy movie and a good performance, it's one of thier specialties or so I've heard, along with calm rational thought on the internet and not getting emotional about people attacking things they love.

You, I, and this forum might know Bullocks awesome, but to the rest of the world she was in that football movie where she played some creepy mom with a weird fetish for a large black college guy, and that one where she was an FBI agent turned beauty pagenter, and then "that one thing about the bus that couldn't stop or something, is that right?"

And now all of a sudden she's out in these big studio movies kicking the shit out these roles and everyone's like WHO THE HELL IS THIS NOW?!?

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-10-12 21:59:42)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'll start by saying that I haven't seen Gravity yet but I've kinda always "nothinged" Sandra Bullock.  She's been funny in comedies for the most part and hasn't really taken anything away from the serious roles she's been in but I haven't felt that she's been absolutely amazing in anything.  Which I guess, isn't something you can say about most actors and actresses, so there's that. 

The Blind Side was a little different for me because I'd heard stories about the actual lady that she's playing and it sounds like she pretty much had her dead on, except that she's pretty much an attention whore now that the movies been made.  That role being deserving of an Oscar nomination is another discussion entirely though.

Last edited by Raven (2013-10-19 08:08:14)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey...this just in: GRAVITY has been a resounding commercial success!

Through Friday (the start of it's 3rd weekend), Gravity has made an estimated $148 mil domestically. Add in the estimated $68 mil overseas and that brings the current Total Box Office haul at $216 million! I'm not sure many people thought this movie would break $150 mil, and I'm quite sure no one would have predicted $200 mil...and it's possible Gravity may top $250 mil before it leaves theaters -- about 2.5x it's rumored production budget.

HUZZAH!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After this weekend it's at 280 globally, and hasn't even opened in China yet, where I predict it will be huge. I'll call it right now, I bet it ends up close to 500 mil when all is said and done, maybe even more.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

After this weekend it's at 280 globally, and hasn't even opened in China yet, where I predict it will be huge. I'll call it right now, I bet it ends up close to 500 mil when all is said and done, maybe even more.

Wait wait wait.

You're telling me that an original sci-fi film with a female lead is a box office SUCCESS? Studio executives' heads must be exploding all around Los Angeles.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can't wait for the sequel!

Trey wrote:

James Cameron's Gravitys?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Raven wrote:
Trey wrote:

James Cameron's Gravitys?

Only if he gets to film it in space for real.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

With these box office numbers, is there any way for the public to know how many people have seen the film in 3-D and/or IMAX 3-D and how many have seen it in standard projection? Strictly curiosity on my part here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

With these box office numbers, is there any way for the public to know how many people have seen the film in 3-D and/or IMAX 3-D and how many have seen it in standard projection? Strictly curiosity on my part here.

Mark me down for $12 for a 3-D showing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down