Re: Defend your most controversial film opinion.

Fair enough. I did think that was a sweet and very touching film.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Adam Sandler has one good film, and it's not an Adam Sandler film. It's a Paul Thomas Anderson film.

http://cinemafrenzy.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/punch-drunk-love.jpg

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

...so anyway, BLADE RUNNER is overrated.

I don't agree in terms of the visual effects and cinematography—most gorgeous movie ever—but in terms of the story itself, yeah, definitely. And while the book is far better, the same holds true for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?—it's nowhere near Philip K. Dick's best novel, and doesn't touch on many of his central themes as a writer. Seeing people lavish praise on Androids and ignore A Scanner Darkly, Ubik and VALIS always hurts my heart a little (you might actually like VALIS a lot, Dorkman—it's basically a semi-autobiographical, insanely weird mix of sci-fi and theological quest that was written after Dick had an encounter with what he thought was a divine intelligence that left him half-crazy and desperate for answers).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've never quite understood the love for Blade Runner myself. It's a pretty conventional noir set in a beautiful world but that's about it. I've ranted here before about how the unicorn dream basically ruins the movie.

I'm happy to agree that 50 First Dates is surprisingly sweet and effective, with the exception of Sean Astin's idiotic antics.

Last edited by Zarban (2013-10-22 20:28:18)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Pound for pound, Alfonso Cuaron is a more accomplished director with a more versatile skill set than Martin Scorcese.  This is not to say anything bad about Scorcese.  He's a master of the craft and has defined a couple generations of filmmaking.  This is to say nothing of how great an advocate for films he is.  But Cuaron has accomplished, in my mind, at least as much in fewer films than Martin has.  In terms of innovation, and serious leaps in evolution as a filmmaker, there's no one really like Cuaron that I can think of.  Again, Scorcese is great, but we all kinda know what to expect with a Scorcese film whereas Cuaron surprises and impresses equally with every film, in a way we have not seen from him at that point.

Last edited by Eddie (2013-10-22 17:53:35)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

I've never quite understood the love for Blade Runner myself....I've ranted here before about how the unicorn dream basically ruins the movie.

As much as I love Blade Runner, I totally agree with that.  But that's Ridley Scott's fault, not Blade Runner's fault.  La la la la la la.....

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Pound for pound, Alfonso Cuaron is a more accomplished director with a more versatile skill set than Martin Scorcese.

I approve of this message and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I had a feeling that little opinion would bring all the boys to the yard.  I'm fine with people telling me I'm full of shit with it, but I would love for them to tell me how I'm wrong, exactly.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I mean just think of it. 

The Little Princess
Great Expectations
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Azkaban
Children of Men
Gravity

COMPLETELY different films, all handled with such a clear focus and tonal unity.  Every single on of those films knows exactly what it is and even if you don't like any of those specifically, you can't deny that they're all fully committed to their own identity.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think Mike was disagreeing with you Eddie.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh I know he wasn't.  I knew as I was typing it that Mike would greet me with huzzah's.  I'm just sort of screaming into the wind, asking the film gods to strike me down or challenge me.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
Eddie wrote:

Pound for pound, Alfonso Cuaron is a more accomplished director with a more versatile skill set than Martin Scorcese.

Yeah. I love Scorcese's love of cinema, but I've only connected with maybe half of his films that I've seen, and don't have a big desire to fill out my experience. Whereas I've reacted negatively to one Cuaron film, and I blame the original story in that case.

Scorcese has the problem of being a living Shakespeare. It's been 400 years. SOMEBODY has to have written something better than Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet, but still we compare everything to that. If Shakespeare was still around, we'd be like "Come on, let's see you top Breaking Bad, Willy."

Last edited by Zarban (2013-10-22 20:40:32)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I'm waiting for someone to defend Transformers, Adam Sandler, M. Night Shyamalan, Damon Lindelof, Episode 1, and the Wayans.

C'mon - which bozo is gonna say they're underrated?

I don't think the first Transformers movie is all that bad (although the less said about the sequels, the better), I have a soft spot for a few Sandler films (Little Nicky & Big Daddy in particular) and I fairly enjoy Episode I despite knowing I shouldn't.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I enjoy the majority of Episode 1. The rest of the time, Jake Lloyd is speaking.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I really enjoy a Knight's Tale.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Return of the Jedi sucks. The pacing is bad, the story is lazy, the characters (Han in particular) aren't consistent with what's come before, it's the worst looking of the first 3 by a long-shot (hate the cinematography), ewoks, and that awful ending music. A handful of moments keep it from being out and out terrible, but for my money it's almost as bad as the prequels.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yub Yub!   yikes

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

bullet3 wrote:

...and that awful ending music.

http://i.imgur.com/aZZY3y7.gif

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Knights Tale fucking rules.  Super fun and true right kind of camp .

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

C'mon - which bozo is gonna say they're underrated?

Well, nobody will if they are going to be called names, don't think anyone wants to get bullied tongue

I will say, about Adam Sandler, that he is an unfunny dude with an ego to match the size of his back balance. His films have become self-gratifying wank-fests for Sandler and his pals, even animated film Hotel Transylvania. Saying that, though, he wasn't always bad, he has made funny films in the past and I will always defend The Wedding Singer. His ego just got in the way.

Dave wrote:

A Knight's Tale is great fun smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:
Dave wrote:

Knights Tale fucking rules.  Super fun and true right kind of camp .

I love A Knight's Tale. Great humor, fantastic performances and just enough seriousness to be enjoyable. I'm staggered by the people who treat it as supposedly historically accurate, then tearing it down for inaccuracies.

I really need to find the part in history where "We Will Rock You" was played at jousting tournaments. No doubt edited out by the Knights Templar (we all know how they are) wink

bullet3 wrote:

Return of the Jedi sucks. The pacing is bad, the story is lazy, the characters (Han in particular) aren't consistent with what's come before, it's the worst looking of the first 3 by a long-shot (hate the cinematography), ewoks, and that awful ending music. A handful of moments keep it from being out and out terrible, but for my money it's almost as bad as the prequels.

Yep, that's some controversy right there wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkzNTcxNjcxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzU4NjQyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

I enjoy this movie, and I don't know why.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gettin real sick of saying this, but, hotlinking imdb images doesn't work.

Check your pics after you post people.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Saniss wrote:
bullet3 wrote:

...and that awful ending music.

http://i.imgur.com/aZZY3y7.gif

This entire Topic may need to be deleted so we don't incriminate ourselves in the future e.g. get denied a date or job or entry into uni or a nursing home or someth'n. It might be too late - the NSA have probably already  logged our 'controversial' opinions and matched them to our IP addresses. Some teens post nude photos of themselves. Others say they didn't like Blade Runner.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Gettin real sick of saying this,

Then stop. Problem solved. tongue

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down