Topic: Armageddon

I'd like to apologize for my presence on this episode. I start off pleasantly buzzed, and eventually become totally wrecked and pass out. That won't happen again, folks, I'm sorry.

That aside, hey, it was Armageddon!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Armageddon

I guess I get to be the guy who says there's more elements to a compelling story than the regularity of action beats. I expect characters with clear motivations and consistent, relatable views of the world, who don't suddenly get "space dementia." When science is involved, I hope for a treatment of it that at least appears to be true. Go ahead and have Reese tell me he doesn't understand time travel. I can't argue with that, but stopping to refuel on "Russian space station" doesn't even pass George Lucas logic. Why do they have extra fuel? Where did they get it? What deep space mission were the russians planning?

Anyway, the question also came up whether it's possible for an intelligent person to enjoy a movie like this. Absolutely. That's why I go to Bad Movie Night (www.darkroomsf.com/#bmnnow). A revolving group of hosts get microphones, but everyone is encouraged to mock. DIFers in the Bay Area should come down. I mention it in particular because I'm gonna be hosting Jaws: The Revenge coming up. I may not make fun of the movie, but I'm totally gonna dis the house it bought Michael Caine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steve Buscemi and Will Patton made this movie for me, also Aerosmith.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Best William Finctner role: Strange Days, where he plays the one of a pair of evil cops who gets no lines or really any screen time where he's in focus. He spends the whole movie giving extras, our hero, but mostly extras, that Finctner glare.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

I'd like to apologize for my presence on this episode. I start off pleasantly buzzed, and eventually become totally wrecked and pass out.

Hehe, i hate this movie very much but i can't wait to hear the show.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I preferred this commentary after Teague calmed down and eventually passed out. It was never bad, but it got a little messy at times.

I guess I'm just not a fan of listening to drunk people when I'm not drunk myself.

Glad to hear the appreciation of Fichtner though, it's always a good time when he shows up. I always first remember him from one of the rare good episodes from the fifth season of West Wing.

Last edited by Hansen (2010-08-23 14:15:11)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Were you also drunk when you indexed it on iTunes? The episode reads "Arnageddon".

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked this movie when it came out and still do. It's bad astronomy but it's fun and a good balance of humour, action, poignancy, and ups and downs.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmm, Teague, you becoming "pleasantly buzzed" than suddenly passing out is becoming a bit of a habit, if-you-know-what-I-mean (*cough sneeze hack*) maybe you should take it a tad easier with the bottles wink

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I actually stopped drinking after and as a result of this episode. smile

Smoking, and soda, too. What up.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's crazy talk.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I loved armageddon when I was younger. I'd say young, but I'm only 24, and considering 'dad' is about twice my age, it doesn't exactly feel right.
I haven't watched it in years, but I bought it today to re-watch it.

Btw, having not listened to the whole commentary yet, I noticed Teague dissapeared, but then reappered again. Did the guys wake you up, or did you pass out later than that?

Great commentary still, though. I had to look up William Fichtner, but yeah, he's pretty much in every movie.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2010-08-24 19:32:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I pass out at about 1:56:00.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

" 'I'm not saying he's black, I'm just saying he has an event horizon.' ...or is that a fat joke?"

I cannot believe nobody cracked up when Brian said that. That's T-shirt worthy, that is.

It has to do with black holes, but I'm not sure it makes sense as a black joke or a fat joke, which really just makes it funnier.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I cracked up when I heard it the second time.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

I want to give extra credit for the exchange shortly later:

"My life will never be complete because I don't have a crazy name like 'Lucius'."
"Your name is Teague."

Also, I've always been annoyed by the title. While some mythologies have terms that mean "the end of the world" -- such as Ragnarök in Norse -- "Armageddon" is not a synonym for "apocalypse." In the mythology, there is a decisive battle during the apocalypse that takes place at Megiddo, a small mountain between Egypt and Mesopotamia. The Hebrew for "Mount Meggido" is "Har Megiddo." Ancient Greek -- the language in which the New Testament was originally written -- renders this "Harmagedon," and the Latin Vulgate translated it to "Armagedon."

Referring to the entire apocalypse as "Armageddon" is akin to referring to the entire Civil War as "Gettysburg." And then, on top of that, titling a war movie that takes place in the modern day Middle East "Gettysburg," because that means "war," right?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman, when we're all old and cynical and we've given up on love, call me. Because for for that post alone, I will marry your wrinkled white ass.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman reminded me of an old 80's anime called Harmagedon, about psychics saving the world, and I'm not sure I should thank him for that smile

As for the podcast, the drunk Teague was a turn off for the most part, and I found myself turning the volume down (he's not an INTERESTING drunk, as the South Park guys are on their movie commentaries). I'll also knock a few points off for nobody, in the talk of riding the asteroid into the Earth, mentioning taking a surfboard in Dark Star style.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

Referring to the entire apocalypse as "Armageddon" is akin to titling a war movie that takes place in the modern day Middle East "Gettysburg"

Actually, that's a genius idea. More so if there hadn't been a movie with that title already. How about 'Waterloo' for a space movie about a disastrous battle. Or how about 'Normandy.' That'd be a great title.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the difference of course is that Armageddon is the name of a future battle, so naming this particular battle/war that as opposed to other ones has a certain meaning. It's really no different then using the term "World War III". I do like the idea of using past battle names for fictional future stories. It gives the knowledgable reader/viewer info and context. If you're watching a SF movie called "The Cry of Vicksburg" and the heros are the one defending the city, you know things aren't going to go well for them.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Like that whole 'Icarus' thing in "Sunshine".

Also, the one who directed the whole "drillers vs austronauts" question to Michael Bay was Ben Affleck.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2010-08-25 21:03:43)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't listened to this one, so I apologize in advance if I'm treading old ground here.

But it seems to me that the movie Billy Bob Thornton is in is much better than the movie the rest of us have to watch.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That was fun. It's tough to hear 4 peeps excitedly talk over each other, and yeah Teague was feeling good for most of it but so what, i was kinda loaded myself listening to it. I LOLed when Jake said "At this point anything could happen."

From the bits i saw i always hated this movie. When Criterion did Armageddon i wanted to understand what they saw in it but as soon as i saw the dumb as a stump story and slow-motion flag stuff i thought 'my God, Criterion's being ironic!' We went from the deadly serious early '80s action movies i love to Terminator 2's tongue in cheek "bad to the bone" to this technically brilliant shit. Dumb was the new smart.

Well i finally watched the whole thing with the sound off and the visuals held my attention. In fact the shuttle take offs were beautiful.

To Michael Bay et al i say: Too bad you made The Poseidon Adventure instead of something profound. For 50yrs people have been saying Stanley Kubrick's a genius and he got death threats when A Clockwork Orange came out. Now we say Michael Bay's an idiot and he gets $70m for Transformers. It's a crazy world, kids. G'night.

/speed kills

Last edited by beldar (2010-08-26 01:49:44)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just for you Brian:

http://www.recaro.com/uploads/pics/pole_position.jpg

And Army and Marine Corp bashing!?  Oh, sir!  I'm pretty sure the Army and Marines can hold their own against the Coast Guard, Navy and Air Force, so bash at your peril.

That reminds me.

Eddie: Bash Brian for me next time you see him. 

Then, throw his limp bleeding form into your trunk and drop him off at Camp Pendleton.  We'll see how much bashing he does after some wall to wall counseling at the hands of a platoon of Devil Dogs. 

I know I'm asking a lot, but if it helps, just pretend you're Boba Fett delivering Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt. 

Just avoid any potholes on the way home.

And the caissons go rolling along...