Topic: Remembering Phillip Seymour Hoffman

I don't think anyone can dispute that he was one of the best actors of his generation, and maybe in the history of cinema. I'm sure we're all shocked and very upset by this news, so I thought it might be nice to share some of our favorite PSH scenes or moments. He's had such a phenomenal career.

I think that this scene from The Master has better acting than most other actors can pull off in their entire careers.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Remembering Phillip Seymour Hoffman

I... I... I...no..no...no... Not happening.... WTF?!    sad

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Last edited by KyleMonroe (2014-02-02 19:45:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Damn.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well - still not enough to get me to watch The Master a second time.

But I think today is a good day to rewatch State and Main.  And Boogie Nights.  And perhaps even try MI:3.

Holy crap... I watched Charlie Wilson's War a few hours ago (and praised PSH's performance in this thread). Then the news came. The synchronicity was shocking.

A great loss. Cinema has lost someone truly special.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Well - still not enough to get me to watch The Master a second time.

But I think today is a good day to rewatch State and Main.  And Boogie Nights.  And perhaps even try MI:3.

Trey "The Amazing" Stokes says something not so amazing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Russell Brand: Philip Seymour Hoffman is another victim of extremely stupid drug laws

Russel Brant posted an essay/post on The Guardian website today. It is an interesting read but what stood out for me was this paragraph:

Philip Seymour Hoffman's death is a reminder, though, that addiction is indiscriminate. That it is sad, irrational and hard to understand. What it also clearly demonstrates is that we are a culture that does not know how to treat its addicts. Would Hoffman have died if this disease were not so enmeshed in stigma? If we weren't invited to believe that people who suffer from addiction deserve to suffer? Would he have OD'd if drugs were regulated, controlled and professionally administered? Most importantly, if we insisted as a society that what is required for people who suffer from this condition is an environment of support, tolerance and understanding.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre … -drug-laws

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

My favorite PSH scene is "the skeptic scene" in THE MASTER. Lancaster Dodd is holding forth about "the Cause's travels into the past" at a lavish soiree held in his honor. A man starts interrupting and asking challenging questions. The tension builds until it boils over, then turns in an even more surprising direction. Hoffman navigates the the scene beautifully. Very few actors like him.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love that scene. My other favorite scene in that movie is the prison one. He and Phoenix are just killing it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd argue that the initial reason this scene was so memorable is Cruise's performance, but you can't deny that right in the first scene of the film, Hoffman completely owns the role of the bad guy you do not fuck with.

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-07 18:25:15)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott