Re: 1980's Robocop love fest and talk about how the remake sucks

Haha 'RoboCop 2' praise!

It's a flawed but entertaining film.

Flawed but entertaining is a good way to describe the remake as well.

Ewing, I'd say go watch it. Based on your reasons to stay away, you might just be a little surprised.
I was upset with their alterations to the origin, but the remake turned out to actually have some ideas.
It's worth mentioning he has a stungun, but it is not his only weapon.

Yeah, I'm still grumpy about the stupid bare hand and agree the original origin is better, but the movie's got good stuff going for it. They are, wait for it, are exploring new themes. Well, at least one new theme central to Murphy, lol.

Also, here's another remake of the rapist scene:
[video (unkown provider)]

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-17 17:25:21)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

I think I would be more on board with this film and exploring the themes it does if it wasn't a remake of Robocop. Like I said, I have no love for the original Robocop, but I get what they did there and why they did it.

The themes in the new Robocop could honestly have been done without the Robocop name. Then it doesn't come with the automatic burden of being compared to the original. They may be wanting to explore new themes, but those themes could be overshadowed by it being a remake.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ewing wrote:

If you can look at that and tell me it's not utter shit on every conceivable level of action cinema, you need a job lying to people for a living. Save us, Gareth Evans, you're our only hope.

Dear god. Just... Dear god. You were absolutely right... every god damn level. Videogame camerawork, editing which actually actively tries to disengage you from the movie... I think I found the first video in a while where I hate every single aspect in it. I even hate whoever pulled focus in this abomination just for contributing to it.

I mean, I thought this movie would be "Total Recall remake"-mediocre but this is some of the worst garbage I've seen in a while. There's even more feeling and emotion in some of the all-CGI/blue screen effects scenes in fucking Episode 2/3.

I'm serious, this needs to die in a fire. Whoever signed off on this should be ashamed... I feel like I should go watch some portions of T2 just as eye-bleach.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Wanna get more upset? Imagine if Aronofsky had stayed onboard the remake and been allowed to make his version instead of that shit.

Ya, that clip makes me want to vomit. This videogame cutscene bullshit is a plague on modern cinema. Ugh.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ewing wrote:

...Also, the action looks like something out of a mod for Black Ops II.

Ahem

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Ya, that clip makes me want to vomit. This videogame cutscene bullshit is a plague on modern cinema. Ugh.

If they're going to be influenced by videogame cutscenes, couldn't they at least use Naughty Dog games?

fireproof78 wrote:

The themes in the new Robocop could honestly have been done without the Robocop name. Then it doesn't come with the automatic burden of being compared to the original. They may be wanting to explore new themes, but those themes could be overshadowed by it being a remake.

The trouble with that theory is if you still want to do the story about a robot cop, the comparisons are inevitable anyway. People have compared the new Deus Ex to RoboCop and they couldn't be more stylistically different.
Though, in this chicken/egg story, I would imagine they said "Let's remake RoboCop" before they decided what it was going to be about.

Ewing wrote:

Wanna get more upset? Imagine if Aronofsky had stayed onboard the remake and been allowed to make his version instead of that shit.

Ugh. I hadn't heard that one. Want.
It was super pissed he pulled out of The Wolverine, too. I still liked what we got, but can you just imagine

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-18 07:03:10)

-DorkmanScott

Vapes wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

The trouble with that theory is if you still want to do the story about a robot cop, the comparisons are inevitable anyway. People have compared the new Deus Ex to RoboCop and they couldn't be more stylistically different.
Though, in this chicken/egg story, I would imagine they said "Let's remake RoboCop" before they decided what it was going to be about.

I think that is more to my point, that they came up with a RoboCop reboot then wanted new themes. Deus Ex can be compared all they want, but that was a story (and world) built around a different theme. Also, could be an amazing movie, but I digress wink

Personally, I think it can be done if you start with the theme and not the iconic nature of Robocop and create your own thing.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Deus Ex is already being adapted into a movie as we speak, and the writer has talked openly about the similarities to Robocop, and how Deus Ex deals with a very different set off themes. I do think that adaptation has the chance to be very successful in movie form.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Vapes wrote:

Ugh. I hadn't heard that one. Want.
It was super pissed he pulled out of The Wolverine, too. I still liked what we got, but can you just imagine

Yeah, I'd love to see what Aronofsky could do with the action genre. I suspect it would be as bloody as Verhoeven but with none of the intended humor; which may actually make it funnier. Here are some articles about his tenure with the remake:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/jul/25/robocop
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23542
http://collider.com/darren-aronofsky-robocop-remake-3d/
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ … op_one_day

Basically, MGM's financial collapse destroyed his involvement. It's a damn shame we didn't get to see his vision of the concept, it could have been the greatest remake since The Thing.

bullet3 wrote:

Deus Ex is already being adapted into a movie as we speak, and the writer has talked openly about the similarities to Robocop, and how Deus Ex deals with a very different set off themes. I do think that adaptation has the chance to be very successful in movie form.

I am very excited to hear that. I have been hoping for one since I played that game (multiple times I might add).

It does have the dystopian world but is less about that and more about the conspiracies that drive the collapse. The theme of conspiracy and distrust would be one place that could set it apart.

Honestly, if that can work than doing the robotic cop, almost like I, Robot, there would be comparisons to RoboCop but it should be able to stand on its own with theme, story and characters.

Deus Ex could do that. A reboot RoboCop doesn't seem able to.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Robocop 2014 Review http://nowplayingpodcast.com/archives/npprobocop08.php

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

You guys should stop watching these shitty movies.

Or at least stop taking them seriously. I mean... Robocop is a fucking stupid idea for a movie. It was amazing that the first one was as watchable as it was, but it was because the people making it knew it was a fucking stupid idea for a movie. It's an action/comedy. It's schlock. I knew the remake was going to be complete shit from the instant the trailer came out, because it was taking itself too fucking seriously. Why the fuck are we trying to take Robocop seriously?

Why the fuck do we want to take Robocop seriously? No one expected Robocop to be a 'good' movie back when it came out. It's a movie called "Robocop".

How do you make a modern Robocop movie, seriously, and make it work? Step one is to change the name to something that isn't retarded. Next, you'd have to do an entirely different take on it, ground it hard, make it a dramatic thriller with a couple of really quick and brutal action beats... Now you have a movie that only resembles the original in passing because there's a guy who's mostly a robot and also a cop.

Genuinely, tho, why the fuck do we keep taking this fucking schlock and trying to make real movies out of it? I don't want to watch Robocop: The thematically relevant dramatic eye-opener that happens to have a couple of shitty CGI action scenes and bad jokes. I wanna watch Robocop: the robot cop who has a gun that can take your leg off and throws people through walls but also occasionally has a moment of reflection and lots of dark humor.

Kinda ranty, but I'm so over these fucking movies. New Robocop movie is fucking awful. Who the fuck didn't see that one coming? Fuck fuckitty fuck fuck.

Sorry.

http://www.rottenecards.com/ecards/Rottenecards_40817491_j5r6m6q39r.png

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dead or alive, you're coming with me!

X-Files.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Xtroid wrote:

It's a flawed but entertaining film.

Watched this to see if my stuff is in it.  It is, for about two seconds.  (1:12)

For the record, first mocap CG character in a feature film.  Where's my Life Achievement Oscar?  Still waiting...

OK, I know I saw that when it came out, all excited because Frank Miller wrote it. I can honestly say I don't remember a single thing that was in that trailer smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Kinda ranty, but I'm so over these fucking movies. New Robocop movie is fucking awful. Who the fuck didn't see that one coming? Fuck fuckitty fuck fuck.

Geezus somebody get this guy a Snicker's.

The tongue-in-cheek nature of the original is what I missed about the reboot. The flawed script is flawed, holding your hand through every little bit instead of letting us discover things, but I'm also a geek and when I see a robot dude doing robot dude things, I sit back and enjoy.
It was cool, it was a fun watch, but holy crap did they miss the point.

bullet3 wrote:

Oh, very cool.

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-19 16:10:20)

-DorkmanScott

Squiggly_P wrote:

You guys should stop watching these shitty movies.

Or at least stop taking them seriously. I mean... Robocop is a fucking stupid idea for a movie. It was amazing that the first one was as watchable as it was, but it was because the people making it knew it was a fucking stupid idea for a movie. It's an action/comedy. It's schlock. I knew the remake was going to be complete shit from the instant the trailer came out, because it was taking itself too fucking seriously. Why the fuck are we trying to take Robocop seriously?

Why the fuck do we want to take Robocop seriously? No one expected Robocop to be a 'good' movie back when it came out. It's a movie called "Robocop".

How do you make a modern Robocop movie, seriously, and make it work? Step one is to change the name to something that isn't retarded. Next, you'd have to do an entirely different take on it, ground it hard, make it a dramatic thriller with a couple of really quick and brutal action beats... Now you have a movie that only resembles the original in passing because there's a guy who's mostly a robot and also a cop.

Genuinely, tho, why the fuck do we keep taking this fucking schlock and trying to make real movies out of it? I don't want to watch Robocop: The thematically relevant dramatic eye-opener that happens to have a couple of shitty CGI action scenes and bad jokes. I wanna watch Robocop: the robot cop who has a gun that can take your leg off and throws people through walls but also occasionally has a moment of reflection and lots of dark humor.

Sorry.

People think of the original Robocop as a serious take on its issues, but it's a fairly broad satire. It's only because it bothered to be a satire that people take it so seriously. Yeah, the idea is dumb. That's the point. If you take the concept super-seriously, you're not doing justice to the original concept.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like to say for me the parts of the Robocop Reboot that i like or actors in the film that i liked  was Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton,Jackie Earle Haley,Jay Baruchel and Samuel L. Jackson and i like the part where they remove the suit and you see what is really left of Murphy

Last edited by Jimbo (2014-02-20 23:06:31)

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Please tell me you're posting from a cellphone.