Topic: My stuff

Well I guess I can start off the actual projects.

This was my term project for last term at Vancouver Film School. Basically we chose a subject that we wanted to do a project on, and were let loose. I chose to do a VFX piece, namely to start transferring my Blender 3D knowledge in to some more industry standard programs. (Namely Maya)

http://insanitywarpedaroundatree.blogsp … fades.html

Theres a lot wrong with it I know, some it started from ground zero, just inexperience with the programs and equipment, and some of it was just running out of time.

And I guess I can throw this one up too. It's still very much a WIP, but I'm liking it so far. BUt it's kinda hit a bit of a stand still now that school is back into full swing, and I'm working on a really cool project for it.

http://insanitywarpedaroundatree.blogsp … rphan.html

And yah feel free to peruse the rest of my blog as you please.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: My stuff

love the jelly fish! it could use a more see thru look but still great

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dude, the short film is awesome. Good work. Trey might have more to say about what a bioluminescent sea creature oughta look and move like (see the Abyss commentary), but offhand, my only critique of the animation is that I want to see more of it. The little bugger seems a little stiff for a virtually structure-less floating piece of skin.

In terms of comp, I would have favored the blue/indigo side of things, but that's just aesthetic opinion.

Cool work. How did it go over with the folks at your school?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks guys!

And I'm sure Trey does :P

As far as the stiffness goes, a lot of that was just plain and simply I was still figuring out how to use Maya.

To go Behind the Scenes a bit, my original plan was not to have the upper bulb be the primary form of propulsion (Like it is in the final), but actually to have the lower spiral be the part that convulsed and propelled it. Which would have been pretty cool I think, but when it came time to rig it, the entire thing just fell apart and I didn't have the time to figure it out, so I switched over to the back up plan (Which is what you see in the final). Which still looks pretty sweet.

And also part of it was just running out time, I would have like to refine the animation a bit more but I was running short on time and had to get the thing rendered, so what can you do.

As far as school goes, I haven't heard back anything officially as far as a grade wise or anything (Which I don't really care a whole lot about anyways), but from what I heard, everyone who saw it was pretty impressed, which makes me happy :)

For the color scheme I was was actually really debating between the color schemes when I was working on this thing. So much so that if you look at the practical light on her hand it's actually a bluish color.

And I'm sure I'll get around to using the little guy in something else, but for now I have bigger and better things to work on! Which is as it should be, no?

And since I have you available Teague, what did you think of the breakdown? It was pretty rushed together, but do you think it was it a decent portrayal of the process?
I haven't really had much of a chance to do any sort of breakdown of a shot before, and I'm not sure if covered all my bases properly.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The breakdown was actually a bit much - which is the problem you want to have. The effect is pretty straightforward, so the amount of detail in the breakdown is excessive...but for future reference, that amount of detail is actually a good benchmark.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright thanks Teague. I forgot to mention that the breakdown was also meant to function for people who had no knowledge of 3D (namely most of my class) and also show most of the process for my teachers (part of the assignment). So yah.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh. In that case, perfect. big_smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down