Topic: One of THOSE camera threads

So I recently came in to a relatively decent amount of extra money (relative to the 5 bucks in my account atm) and it got me thinking about beginning to equip myself with a some decent equipment, specifically in this instance, a decent camera for doing my own projects. Unfortunately I have zero-nil experience with the HD/Prosumer camera market nowadays so I'm turning to you nice people for some advice.

Basically I'm looking at a budget of around 1-2k (I'm still very much in the research phase, so basically I'm trying to figure out how much more I need to scrounge in order to get one), most likely leaning towards the 1k side of things so a range would be appreciated. I would like something that can shoot HD, is decently customizable you know, all that kind of stuff. (Keeping in mind I will be very visual effects based while also doing normal short film type stuff) And hopefully something that will stay relevant for a while (Namely so it's something I can still work with after I leave school).

@Brian: I know you guys shot Lights on a 7D, how have you found it as a camera to actually shoot stuff on? Would you recommend DSLR's on the whole or would a more traditional miniDV camera be preferable. Also...sound?

So...learn me something, why don't cha.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-09-12 08:36:04)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: One of THOSE camera threads

I have just very recently (two days ago) bought myself a Canon DSLR 550d and it's capable of brilliant things. It's just a great camera with an excellent film-like quality. My brother has one as well and these are the cameras we'll be using to shoot a short film later in the year (as well as the 48 Hour Film Project next month in London).

I'd definitely recommend one of the Canon DSLR models. Have a look through youtube and vimeo at all the tests and short films that have used the various DLSRs so you can see the results.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks mate, I definitely know what the Canon DSLRs can do, I was wondering more about the side of usability and functionality under actual production situations. The more I read and hear I'm definitely starting to lean heavily in favor of a 7D, unless Brian (Seeing as he's the only person I know who has one) or anyone else with experience can tell me otherwise.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Movers and The Vasquez Flyer were also shot on Brian's 7D.

Rent a few different kinds of cameras and kit on a per project basis a couple times and try them out yourself. Better use of money, and you learn different systems. There are way too many variables against someone's specific requirements to say which they should buy and why.

And as you mentioned effects stuff, the Canon Ds are bad news for 3d tracking and greenscreen.

Use the several hundreds of dollars you save over buying a prosumer thing and pick up a handful of books about on set lighting and the ASC manuals, so when you actually do buy a killer camera, the investment is even more worth it.

Last edited by paulou (2010-09-12 19:57:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

And as you mentioned effects stuff, the Canon Ds are bad news for 3d tracking and greenscreen.

Care to elaborate?

paulou wrote:

Use the several hundreds of dollars you save over buying a prosumer thing and pick up a handful of books about on set lighting and the ASC manuals, so when you actually do buy a killer camera, the investment is even more worth it.

This statement confuses me, I barely have enough as it is, where am I saving these hundred of dollars again? Or was this or back handed way of telling we to drop the prosumer idea and get a consumer level camera? If so, I'm confused about how simply getting a consumer level camera with a few books on film making, which will drain any last funds I have, and then buying  another completely new camera relatively quickly considering how soon I'll be graduating and needing a good quality machine; will be be better than simply getting a good machine now and using all these wonderful things I learned in 2 years of film school to guide me.

Like I said, maybe I just misinterpreted what you meant.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

As well as some other stuff you can see on my Vimeo page: http://vimeo.com/user3029603/videos

I love my 7D; it's not without it's limitations, but it produces unbelievable images for the price. That being said, while the camera and a basic lens put it in the 1-2k range, outfitting it with other accessories to make it a truly viable filmmaking machine bump up the cost. In addition to the camera and kit lens, I got a decent tripod with a fluid head, a couple of prime lenses to take advantage of the camera's low light capabilities, a sound recorder and shotgun mic, and other smaller accessories. None of these are top of the line, by a long shot, but it's still a few hundred dollars each, which adds up quickly. And that's not counting a proper hand held rig (I bought a Gorilla-pod, which I use as a poor man's hand held rig), a case to carry it all, or a slew of other incidentals.

But you don't necessarily need to get that fancy with it. It all depends on what you want to do. If you're out to practice your storytelling and compositional skills, I'd say go for it and then just get out there and shoot. You only get better by doing and it's vastly easier to do when you have a small camera like a DSLR that you can just grab and go with. But if you have a few specific projects in mind, it might be better to go Paulou's route.

Also, I haven't done anything with 7D footage and visual effects, so I can't speak to that aspect.

If you're only focused on video, consider the T2i, I went with the 7D as a way to upgrade my still and video cameras at the same time.

Awesome dude, exactly what I needed to hear.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

7D experiences rolling shutter, which is difficult for FX, and especially difficult for tracking.

/made Movers

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright Teague, what would you recommend instead? This is the only thing that really concerns me, due to the fact that a lot of what I hope to be doing with this involves VFX to some extent or another.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I have no recommendation. I know nothing about cameras. Dorkman might know, or know where to look.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmm, alright. Might you be able to kick him in my direction?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

As mentioned, shutter artifacts from the way the camera draws a frame will fuck up tracking. The Foundry has a cool tool to compensate for that, but it's not 100% reliable.

Keying gets really hard because of the (8bit) compression algorithm used in the camera starts to degrade significantly when you introduce some arbitrary level of detail that's beyond the functional bitrate of the video. Then your edges go to shit.

Renting/borrowing/thiefing cameras for different projects will teach you a lot more about the pros and cons of the tools than any amount of forum discussion. And  (this is where I was less clear) if you're only looking to do a project once in a while, just renting a camera for shooting days can be the better option financially than dropping big bucks on your own for something that may not be used enough to justify the expense.

That money could go to more important, longer lasting aspects of your development as a filmmaker (like booklearnin or watching/buying more movies) Your brain and your ability to tell a compelling story is a lot more important than talking about sexy bokeh and compression artifacts.

But then again, can't underestimate how much you can learn about light and composition from shooting stills in manual with a prime lens. Which you can do with a 7D. If you just want to hear someone say to go buy a 7D, I'll say buy a 7D. And a 50 mil f/1.4. The sexiness-per-dollar ratio of that thing is unrivaled at the moment.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gotcha.

I'm looking for something to use on a near daily basis, so it will be more worthwhile to purchase my own.

And no, I'm not merely looking for someone to justify me, I'm legitimately trying to find a camera that won't shoot me in the back when I go to work with it. And as far as learning storytellin' and the like, that's what I have DiF for. tongue Oh yeah and i suppose that whole film school thing helps a bit. (And I do mean a "bit", it's amazing how little a VFX and 3D orientated course will teach you about storytelling...)

I spent a few more hours today looking around and researching, but I'm still pretty lost. I'm starting to think that leaning in a more HDV direction might be more beneficial for me...eh, well, back to researchin.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

But then again, can't underestimate how much you can learn about light and composition from shooting stills in manual with a prime lens.

You gotta eventually move out of that, though. I know people who don't have any idea what changing the length of a lens does to photos. They repeat 'if you want to see a subject closer, move closer' like it's a mantra.

Reminds me a bit of piano players who learned the Suzuki method. If they hear a piece of music five times, they can reproduce it perfectly, but if you put a page of music in front of them, they have no idea what to do.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

But then again, can't underestimate how much you can learn about light and composition from shooting stills in manual with a prime lens.

You gotta eventually move out of that, though. I know people who don't have any idea what changing the length of a lens does to photos. They repeat 'if you want to see a subject closer, move closer' like it's a mantra.

Reminds me a bit of piano players who learned the Suzuki method. If they hear a piece of music five times, they can reproduce it perfectly, but if you put a page of music in front of them, they have no idea what to do.

1. I don't see how that comparison even begins to correlate.
2. Starting with a prime lens that approximates the focal length of the human eye is a perfectly good place to start. It's about eliminating variables and teaching discipline. Start using wides and telephotos when you figure out what the fuck you're doing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's funny, because you are both saying the exact same thing.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, just elaborating, since I suppose I wasn't clear. Which happens a lot. I suck at English.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So after another (I believe this will be the third today) burst of a few hours research I'm starting to become slightly dis/depressed. So far everything I've seen has pointed me in the direction of the 7D/5DMkII(Way outta my price range, but a guy can dream), but the only thing I have seen negating it is this rolling shutter/motion tracking issue, yet I can't find a single damn resource showing how it differs in a practical work flow compared to a traditional camcorder.

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places but I also can't seem to find a decent resource that outlines alternatives to the DSLRs which won't have the rolling shutter issue but also won't look like a piece of shit or be absolutely useless to work with. And the only cameras I can find even remotely close to it are AT LEAST several thousand more expensive (Which I just can't afford).

So does the rolling shutter issue outweigh the strengths of everything else or is it worth to just suck it up and deal with it? (If there is even a way to deal with it...?)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The DSLRs are fine, but in my opinion unless you're also going to be shooting a ton of stills, they're a waste of money. The only advantage a DSLR has as a motion picture camera is the sensor size; the 7D and 550 are close enough to Super 35-sized to make little practical difference, and the 5D is roughly equivalent to VistaVision. That's a very big deal.

BUT it comes with huge trade-offs in other areas. The guys have described some.

If it were me, I'd get my hands on a (possibly used) Canon HV30 or HV40. They're shitty little home-video cameras, with pinkie-nail-sized sensors and fixed, crappy lenses, but they're also really cheap. Brand new, they were only like $700. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one on ebay or something for considerably less.

Working with HDV isn't the simplest workflow in the world, but I did it for two years, so I promise you it can be done. And apart from the sensor size and lens quality, the DSLRs don't offer much more, and they cost a LOT more.

I'd buy something really cheap to own myself for playing and learning, and stash the money I save to use toward renting a Red kit for a day or something when I really want to splurge.

UNLESS you're also a stills nut. In that case, get the 550 to use as your primary stills camera, and consider the motion features to be lagniappe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know much about lower-end cameras, but the Canon T2i seems to be what the kids are into.  As I understand it, it gives you image quality similar to a 7D, but for around $800.  Can't beat that.

For about a year almost everything I shot was on either a 5D or the RED, and in the past 6 months or so the 5D has surpassed the RED by a long shot.  I'm not talking little shorts here and there, either.  I'm talking commercials and features.  The rolling shutter can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but it's not usually a problem unless you're handheld on a non-IS lens longer than a 50mm (which might be a 35mm on a 7D or t2i, I don't know the lens conversion).

You can go ahead and buy a camcorder, but a camcorder is not going to teach you anything about focal length or depth of field.  Those two things are very important when you start shooting on the big-boy cameras, and I don't see why you would wait to start learning them.

I don't know much about the workflow of the DSLRs, even though I own one.  I'm not a post guy.  I think it's relatively similar to most cameras that shoot on cards.

As a final bit of advice, I'd buy a shitty light meter and start metering things as you shoot them.  Not so you know what stop to set your lenses at, but so that as you progress and start to determine your style you'll be able to look at your footage and realize that you generally like a 2-stop difference between key and fill, a 4-stop difference between key and backlight, that sort of thing.  That way when you're on a set you can call for your scrims and nets with much more efficiency, which will save you a ton of time.

That's all I got!

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eh, that's a good point, Branco. Shooting on a small sensor teaches you nothing about creative use of focus.

It really comes down to what you want most. Do you want SOME camera in order to tell your own stories? Or do you want something that approximates the optical characteristics of a real motion-picture camera? Or do you want to do VFX stuff and the background plates are, on balance, less important than what you composite on top of them?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HOnestly I'm looking for something that I can practice my optical characteristic skills while making stuff that incorporates VFX (Meaning everything in the frame is of relative importance).

I'm starting to get the feeling that I may be SOL to get all that in my price range.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Not necessarily. Life's just full of trade-offs.

Look at it this way. If four years ago you said you wanted to buy a digital motion picture camera body with a Super 35-sized sensor for less than $1,000, you would have been laughed off the Internet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Understandable.

ZangrethorDigital.ca