Topic: Canon EOS 6D vs. Sony Alpha 99 - Video Feature Comparison

At work, I use Canon EOS 6D cameras (and occasionally the 5D Mk.III) for video recording. I've been using them for a year and a half or so and am really familiar with them.

I recently got a Sony Alpha 99 for myself. I've been pretty pleased with its video features (as well as photo), but I was also very surprised at just how many things were different in the Sony when compared to the Canons I was used to.

I borrowed a 6D from work to take a day and record a comparison of the two cameras' video features. It was fun to do and I learned a bit more about my camera while doing so. Hopefully you enjoy it!

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Re: Canon EOS 6D vs. Sony Alpha 99 - Video Feature Comparison

Yes, yes, but MAGIC LANTERN!!!!

//joke.

Cool video, a lot of great examples.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know I had you specifically in mind when I said that, right? tongue Glad you enjoyed it!

Last edited by Boter (2014-04-23 21:55:49)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Nice video. I had heard the Sony SLTs weren't able to use AF wider than f/3.5 but I didn't know it locked you into full auto too. Pretty lame.

I like that Sony and Panasonic push the market forward in terms of features (though Sony still throttles their prosumer cameras, just more sneakily than Canon does). The GH4 and A7s look very cool, though I'm content with my little NEX-5N for now.

That being said, the Canons do produce great images. My brother has a 5D3 and shot this video with it last summer. And yeah, he shot in ML raw...  wink

It's a ton of extra work in post but the color detail you get out of it makes a world of difference, when the type of shoot you're doing allows for it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down