Re: Suggest an Episode

Reminded of this by DocSub's thread for the TV series: for another proper hate-fuck, Ridley Scott's Hannibal would be a good one. It and the book it's based on are bizarrely awful coming after Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. I will say it accomplished something that hadn't happened to me before: the scene where

SPOILER Show
Krendler has his prefrontal cortex removed and fed to him

was so many kinds of wrong on so many levels that it almost made me physically ill.

Last edited by Abbie (2014-02-28 03:00:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How about a Philip Seymour Hoffman tribute show?  A double-feature of Charlie Wilson's War and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead sounds promising.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or Synecdoche twice.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

How about Jumanji?

Not sure how well its aged but I remember it being  a good film andI remember seeing "making-of" shows about all the effects they were doing in it.

Jumanji is an awesome candidate.

I'm pre-psyched.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

I'm pre-psyched.

[announcer's voice]
Gentlemen, presych your engines... wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

I'm pre-psyched.

I volunteer as tribute.  I worked at a theater in 95 when this was out and this thing killed.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just saw Lost in Translation for the first time; that movie and Her would make an interesting double feature commentary.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just rewatched Where The Wild Things Are. Sooooooooooo good, and definitely worthy of a commentary.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd love to.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/Mothman_prophecies_poster.jpg
How about The Mothman Prophecies? It's got a lot of really great stuff, but doesn't quite come together. Maybe a WAYDM analysis would explain why.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't know if it's been suggested before (first post) but I would love to see you guys tackle "Stranger than Fiction"

It's the one movie where I not only can stand Will Ferrell, but genuinely enjoy how his type of comedy fits into the story. I also think you guys would be able to help me figure out why I like the damn thing.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I just finished watching Tarnation. I would absolutely love a Documentality episode on it. Not sure what the theme would be, since I've never seen a film like it, but I'm very curious what Eddie and the others have to say about it.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tarnation and Brother's Keeper would go pretty well together.

We're trying to pn down schedules, but one of the upcoming episodes of Documentality will be Bhutto and The Punk Singer.  Theme:  Grrrrrl Power.  Guest will be director/Editor of Bhutto and Editor of Punk Singer, my homegirl Jessica Hernandez.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now that it's out on DVD, can we listen to Teague rip Saving Mr. Banks a new one? Maybe you guys could do a double feature with the actual Mary Poppins?

Last edited by Abbie (2014-03-18 23:48:07)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I just rewatched Where The Wild Things Are. Sooooooooooo good, and definitely worthy of a commentary.

Agreed, Number One

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-03-22 09:40:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK, I have an Excellent suggestion:

"Meet The Robinson's"(2007)

Not only is it some of the BEST animation to ever come out of Walt Disney Animation Studios,
but gives any Pixar film a run for its money(The Chrome and Paint on the Time Machine is insane)

The Characters are awesome, plenty of catch-it-or-you-miss-it humor, and a kick ass Time Travel
story.

It's hands down one of my all time Favorite Disney Movies.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm sure this question has already been addressed somewhere, but would you guys ever consider doing a Game of Thrones Intermission?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Since the sequel is coming out in a couple weeks, it would be good to hear your take on 'The Amazing Spider-Man'.....I personally thought it was nearly as garbage as the others, but it's been pretty well received.

Also, we are well due for 'The Dark Knight Rises'. Come to think of it, I haven't heard you guys do a comic book movie for a while now.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I was listening to the commentary you guys did for Constantine, and you mentioned its lack of popularity these days, and that one of the reasons you did the commentary in the first place was to bring it to the attention to your viewers that were unfamiliar with it. That's great and I hope you continue giving the lesser-known films their due.

On that note, I would like to recommend a film that I feel continues to go overlooked by movie lovers. And that would beee... *drumroll* Jacob's Ladder. It's a little gem of a film, in my opinion. A well-crafted thriller/horror that simply relies on a thick, gloomy atmosphere, some practical effects and the performances of its actors. It was one of the first movies that I saw as a twelve-year-old kid and thought, "Yeah, my mind is fucked now. Thanks, movie." It was also one of the first movies that sparked my interest in filmmaking, which would eventually lead to the desire of wanting to become a filmmaker myself.

Anyway, similar to Mulholland Dr., throughout Jacob's Ladder you question the lead character's experiences-- what's real and what's not, and the significance behind it all. But unlike Mulholland Dr., the director (Adrian Lyne) actually manages to pull it off while keeping the viewer engaged, never leaving him/her frustrated or unsatisfied. Additionally, with today's filmgoing experience, where jump scares are being fed to us more and more often, Jacob's Ladder demonstrates perfectly how atmosphere, as well as the power of suggestion is far more effective than any hollow jump scare. It's a haunting, yet beautiful film that leaves a lasting impression. There's plenty of material in the film for you guys to discuss/debate over. For those reasons, I think it would be an ideal film for an audio commentary, whether you ultimately like the film or not. Perhaps you guys give it a shot.

-LovecraftsTea

Last edited by LovecraftsTea (2014-04-16 11:09:00)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

mkeithddc wrote:

OK, I have an Excellent suggestion:

"Meet The Robinson's"(2007)

Not only is it some of the BEST animation to ever come out of Walt Disney Animation Studios,
but gives any Pixar film a run for its money(The Chrome and Paint on the Time Machine is insane)

The Characters are awesome, plenty of catch-it-or-you-miss-it humor, and a kick ass Time Travel
story.

It's hands down one of my all time Favorite Disney Movies.

when I first read this - mis read it and thought you meant 'Meet the Applegates' and got confused . . . . that might make for a good episode

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hope I'm not too new to make a suggestion.
How would you feel about doing Rubber? It's a weird one which I enjoy, and I think I get some of what it's saying and how it's mocking the movie/audience relationship, but I'm sure there's more to dissect than that. No doubt it's a love/hate-it film, but I think it's enjoyably bizarre, and bizarrely enjoyable. At the very least, I think you'd find a lot to talk about.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Wish list updated to reflect recent listens or film watches:

• Twilight sequels-even an Intermission will do

• League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or an Intermission on the end of Connery's career

• Blade 2

• Frozen

• X Men 3 and X Men First class double shot

Just stuff after revisiting some old commentaries smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How About a Frozen-Lego movie Double Feature?

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Honestly, that would be fun as shit.

I mean, I'd have to be shitfaced. And I'd be slobbering all over Lego, and committing hate crimes against Frozen.

But yeah.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down