Topic: Edgar Wright leaves Ant-man after 8 years of developing it.

After over 8 years of developing the project, with a cast and filming schedule all lined up to start, Edgar Wright walks from Ant-man over creative differences. This is pretty weird considering Marvel Studios since 2006has said the only reason they were even making an Ant-man movie was due to Edgar's script and vision. They were content to wait since 2006 to give him time because they were in no hurry to get this IP out, so it's crazy to hear there was a creative difference big enough to have Wright walk from such a long developed project that only existed because of him.

I know not everyone gives a care about superhero films, but the backstory to this films development and this sudden departure is pretty crazy. This isn't the first director to part ways with Marvel Studios, but never on this scale.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/edgar … 201190458/

Last edited by KayRule (2014-05-24 01:16:36)

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Edgar Wright leaves Ant-man after 8 years of developing it.

I wonder if it was something like him insisting on exploring the bad marriage storyline, and the studio saying no way, which is the right choice. Comic books have hundreds of stories to tell, so they can go dark with one, but movies are far more limited and can't necessarily recover from something like that.

In my opinion, they shouldn't have gone the (half-assed) route of "Demon in a Bottle" in Iron Man 2 for just that reason. If you're going to make a movie out of Diff'rent Strokes, you don't do the molestation episode.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-05-24 00:43:53)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Edgar Wright's approach was actually not involving the character with the bad marriage, Paul Rudd was set to star as the second character to don the Ant-man mantle whose a single-father.

I am truly curious to see what caused this divide considering the film only exists because of Wright's script and vision. So far all we're getting is the normal PR "amicable split".

Last edited by KayRule (2014-05-24 01:14:34)

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hadn't heard that he'd changed from Pym to Lang. That suggests he didn't have much of a script for a long time. Maybe then the creative differences lie in the realm of Wright failing to tie the story into the Avengers stuff once he did have a script.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-05-24 05:39:38)

Twitter "insider" gossip suggests that Wright was falling way behind schedule and Disney was nervous that he wouldn't be able to handle a project this big, so they let him go. If so, it's very kind of them to suggest that he left because of "creative differences." Lets Disney do what's best for them while still letting Wright look like the good guy.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

I hadn't heard that he'd changed from Pym to Lang. That suggests he didn't have much of a script for a long time. Maybe then the creative differences lie in the realm of Wright failing to tie the story into the Avengers stuff once he did have a script.

He had mentioned back at Comic-con 2008 that the film would have a little prologue set during the Cold War showing off Pym, but the film would be about Lang stealing the Ant-man suit and crossing paths with Pym who goes from an adversary to a mentor. Pym was still there I guess, but the focus was always on Lang taking over, rather than say, Pym and his wife.

Although I feel I've liked each of Wright's pictures less than the previous one I was still very interested in seeing his take on a Marvel superhero, and am disappointed to see him leave.

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is still a shocker. I'm not a Paul Rudd fan but I like Edgar Wright. I wish the article gave some details.

As it is, all we know is Disney made the decision on Wednesday and waited to tell him Friday afternoon, so that Wright wouldn't make a scene in the office.  tongue

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

To possibly be fair to Disney, a creator who has taken 8 years with a project might no longer be able to see what the problems are.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Personally I'd say casting Paul Rudd was a problem, seems like a comedy film more than anything. However, Disney signed off on Rudd as the star so it clearly wasn't that.

Also, Disney clearly know what they are doing. They are all about taking risks with directors (the two guys who made Captain America 2 were sitcom directors, for crying out loud) so if they wanted to re-write the script (as rumoured HERE) then they had a reason. Like them or not, the Marvel films have been successful and I think most of them are really good fun so if they felt that this was the way forward, then who am I to argue? As alluded to earlier, Ant Man was dead to me as soon as they cast Paul Rudd anyway.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2014-05-26 21:46:16)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

Personally I'd say casting Paul Rudd was a problem, seems like a comedy film more than anything. However, Disney signed off on Rudd as the star so it clearly wasn't that.

Also, Disney clearly know what they are doing. They are all about taking risks with directors (the two guys who made Captain America 2 were sitcom directors, for crying out loud) so if they wanted to re-write the script (as rumoured HERE) then they had a reason. Like them or not, the Marvel films have been successful and I think most of them are really good fun so if they felt that this was the way forward, then who am I to argue? As alluded to earlier, Ant Man was dead to me as soon as they cast Paul Rudd anyway.

I like Paul Rudd a lot. He's got the chops to pull off a role like that. Comic actors (as oposed to comedians) are usually better actors overall anyway.

I dislike him. Not really a huge fan of most comic actors these days or modern comedy films.

Yeah, not much to add, really.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

I dislike him. Not really a huge fan of most comic actors these days or modern comedy films.

Yeah, not much to add, really.

to put that in English:

Jimmy B wrote:

I hate him. That is all

wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nah, I don't hate him, that's far too strong. Hate is reserved for scum of the earth (and Windows 8) not an actor I just happen not to find funny big_smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2014-05-27 06:20:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down