Topic: Cosmos 2.0 with Neil deGrasse Tyson

http://geekoutlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Cosmos-Header.png

Calling all science nerds.

What do you think of Neil deGrasse Tyson's new COSMOS series?

How's it compare to Carl Sagan's original?

I've seen the first two episodes, and it's not bad. I thought it might be like the History Channel / Discovery Channel / National Geographic channel shit that passes for factual content, but Cosmos is classy, restrained, and a treat to look at. [Americans, why are there so many crap documentaries on H2, etc?)

The evolution episode was somewhat defensive (engaging with all the Christian nutjob arguments) but that was to be expected.

And they resisted the temptation to endless repeat the meteorite that killed the dinosaurs. In fact, they didn't show it at all in the section on extinctions. Nor spectacle on what life looked like in Titan's lakes.

The DNA animations were a bit 'sparkly-glowy', but well done. The theme music is non-distinct (the original Cosmos had a great soundtrack). The historical animation of Bruno in the first episode was a surprising in-your-face to the Catholic Church.

The Titan sequence looked great.

I wrote to Neil deGrasse Tyson about 2 years ago urging him to resist the producers' pressure at Fox to dumb it down, and he was nice enough to write back and assure all that they had free reign. Must be Seth's influence.

Good to see some call-backs to Carl Sagan's original series occasionally too.

Looking forward to more episodes. Not that science nerds will actually learn anything new, but it's nice to see it all packaged in a glossy well-produced way. The roll out to 170 countries is amazing distribution. I wonder which countries ARE NOT getting it.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Cosmos 2.0 with Neil deGrasse Tyson

Apparently the stuff with Giordano Bruno in the first episode was really, really bad history and manipulated to serve the show's agenda. But hey, this isn't a history show. I think it's pretty good so far. I'm not learning anything new, but my little sister is, and that's what really matters.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Like the original, it's educational television. Ergo it's intended to educate the many people, kids and adults, who don't know this stuff. Considering that's the objective, I think it's been exceptional.

Tyson is so different from Sagan. Sagan was so unusual, particularly the way he spoke, and that hypnotized me as a kid. Tyson is a normal guy who speaks in a normal way. So it's a different vibe. Not better or worse, just different. The old Cosmos had a host that was charismatic and palpably ecstatic about science. Tyson fits that bill perfectly. Whatever else might be true, they got the right person to host the program, clearly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Loved it. Best part:

SPOILER Show
Neil relates the story of how he was inspired and encouraged by Carl himself.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am liking it so far, definite a different feel than Sagan but Tyson has always been great at showing his infectious passion and amazement about science, and that's a key thing to have as presenter.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Episode 2 is amazing, really. I learned so much, and I wasn't expecting to. The show manages to go through many different aspects of evolution in a very logical order. I loved it.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's pretty.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great third episode. The galaxy merging at the end was one of the best visuals yet.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As someone who's done a lot of 'history of science' tourism in London, the third episode was great

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/vDyt7OE.jpg

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

As a result of something I saw on Twitter regarding a Salon article, I'd like to vent for a moment about evolution. I wish people would stop saying that evolution produces more and more complex organisms and culminates in consciousness.

Evolution has no directionality. Evolution produces a great deal more single celled organisms than anything else. It has only produced consciousness one time in about a million. Humans and other higher animals are basically just wind-swept piles of sand in a vast landscape of nearly flat land. We are piles of accidents.

That is all.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

We are not Men. We are DEVO.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, the series is now over.  While Neil's presentation was suitably charismatic, and the visuals fine for a TV show, the editing was all over the shop. It jumped from one topic to another without any coherent theme. The entire 13 episodes need to be totally re-cut, otherwise it's just a series of sequences. It feels like it was very rushed in the end. I'd love to see a science series where every visual underscored the point being made.

Luckily, in the final episode, the producers did find time to include Carl Sagan's famous Pale Blue Dot speech from the audiobook. This has long been a meme on youtube to see who can compile the best/most appropriate visuals to the eloquent words. Here are two examples...

Last edited by avatar (2014-06-08 20:17:58)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Now it's time for an updated "Connections"...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down