Topic: Uber

I travel a great deal and have mostly hated taking taxis. Jersey (where I'm working now) is notorious for dirty, decrepit taxis and drivers who rip you off and/or try to get you to pay cash so they can avoid taxes.

But Uber has changed all that. I was clued in to by (Community creator/producer) Dan Harmon's mentions on Twitter, and I've had nothing but fantastic experiences. The payment method is set up beforehand in the app you use to call for a car, so there's nothing even to sign. The driver and passenger rate each other after every ride, and you can not only follow the route on your phone but review it later on the Uber website (and request a fare review, if the route was inefficient). And when your request is accepted, you see the driver's name and face and car model.

Uber, Lyft, and other new app-enabled car services are controversial in some cities, and I'd like to hear if anyone else has experience with them. I feel like the taxi industry has become corrupt and lazy, and if new tech-savvy services can upset the apple cart, then so be it.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Re: Uber

I'm intrigued by the concept of it, and it gets a lot of lip service around here. Never tried one myself. I think pink fuzzy mustaches are dumb.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

NOBODY USES A CAR SERVICE HERE? I GOTTA HANG OUT WITH A BETTER CLASS OF FORUM USERS.

/monocle

/me doesn't live in a major metropolitan area

Am I exempt from ridicule?

. . .

Well, it was worth a shot.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I live in a city with some of the world's best public transportation, so, no, I don't take taxis much. Everything does shut down too early, but the attitude is mostly that if you've missed your last train, then you've just got to stay out and party 'til dawn. If you must sleep, an overnight stay in a capsule or a love hotel, or even a manga cafe is way cheaper than paying taxis' late night rates.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How long before this becomes the premise for a romantic comedy?

Trick question! It's probably already in development.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd love to have access to Uber here.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/smar … zr6yp.html

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Interesting article about Victoria. It's sad to see so many politicians' knee-jerk reaction to innovation is to ban it and fine it (see also: Tesla in New Jersey).

"Uber could have avoided all of this if they had just come in and seen us three weeks ago" sounds a lot like "Do they not know we can be bribed with campaign contributions?"

Politics in Victoria and NSW is stunningly corrupt. Protecting friends, donators, or investments.

Thumbs up Thumbs down