Topic: We Regret the Error: The WAYDM Corrections Thread

As our listeners have no doubt realized, we don't really plan our commentaries ahead of time. We don't go off a script, and aside from sometimes discussing our broad impressions of a movie while we're setting up for the episode, we speak pretty much extemporaneously.

As such, we occasionally make statements which are inaccurate or untrue, urban legends or mistaken recollections.

We can't really go back and correct the episodes themselves, but last year we devoted a small segment of our anniversary show to revisiting some episodes and revising our opinions or correcting mistakes we made. I think that went well, and we can take the opportunity to do it again.

The folks here in the forum are pretty good about pointing out our most egregious errors, this thread will just be used to aggregate them for easy reference in the correction.

If you want to add an error to the list, please indicate in which episode the incorrect statement was made, and ideally a link to further information. Please don't include differences of opinion here, that's what the individual show threads are for.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: We Regret the Error: The WAYDM Corrections Thread

TERMINATOR: SALVATION

Right at the end I brought up cargo cults, stating that I thought they were tribes in Africa after World War II. Cargo cult behavior is actually associated with islander populations in the South Pacific, and were observed prior to WWII but did spike significantly thereafter. Wikipedia.

We gave mad props to ILM for the phenomenal FX work in the film, particularly during the Caldera (Yellowstone Park) Sequence. Many companies -- including Digital Domain, Double Negative, ScanlineVFX, and Hydraulx -- contributed effects work to the film, but ILM was not one of them. The Caldera specifically was done by DNeg, as was the collapse of the Vatican, which as I recall was another moment we specifically praised the VFX. fxguide

Thumbs up Thumbs down

KARATE KID

I confuse Jerry Weintraub for Fred Weintraub.  Very, very different movie producing Jews.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

RESERVOIR DOGS

An hour and six into the episode, during the famous "ear" scene, Teague asks when The Crow came out. Brian says, "1990 or '91". Actually, the film came out long after Reservoir Dogs: Friday, May 13th, 1994.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TRON

Someone talks about an iphone being much faster than anything seen in the movie or that was used to render the cgi.

Looks like an iphone does 3.5 mflops and a cray-1 (seen in the foreground briefly as they sneek through a computer room) did 136 mflops. So an iphone's about 40 times slower.

But keep in mind the cray was a frickin $8m supercomputer, the fastest in that room. Plus the cost of building a room with a raised floor, a UPS, an operator's salary and the power use of about 6 average US homes. And an iphone doesn't have a cool bench built into the case.

For comparison, modern desktop CPUs like an intel i7 920 are about 25,000 mflops.

Last edited by beldar (2011-01-23 21:39:58)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Twilight-

Bella's Lullaby was written by Carter Burwell, not Robert Pattinson. They re-shot the initial piano scene after Burwell joined the production so Pattinson could learn it.....The story behind it can be found on Burwell's site- http://www.carterburwell.com/projects/Twilight.html

(this was taken from another post of mine, I put it here as requested by Teague, not trying to step on anyone's toes smile)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This one I really feel bad about.

In Return of the Jedi, Brian says:

"Ackbar is like 'prepare to jump to hyperspace on my mark,' and Lando is like 'got it! Boom! And he goes!'"

And I didn't immediately say "LEEEEEEEROYYYYYYYY JENNNNNKINNNNNSSSSS."

I regret the error.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's hilarious, even after the fact.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Quick, someone make a meme of that!

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Error correction for Attack of the Clones commentary:

Immaculate Conception does not refer to Christ's virgin birth (in the comparison with Anakin).

It refers to the event when Mary was conceived (without Adam's sin under Catholic doctrine). Nothing to do with the virgin birth. It's all bollocks of course, but just saying...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Conception

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's so odd.. either you guys have released a snippet from this, or I accidentally tuned in during the recording. Coz I totally recognized a large chunk, thought "Bah, I heard this before" and turned it off. Luckily, I asked Teague, and no, this was not a re-re-release or anything like that, so I listened again - and clearly, I had only heart "that chunk".

A couple of random comments:

Dunno what Trey (who obviously is both smart and had been in Berlin) was thinking when he said "German text in an English movie". Of course, Germans dub all movies with new German actors. Which is why Germans (and Italian, French, and other large european countries) totally suck at speaking English - they never hear the language. Unlike us smaller European nations which cannot afford this "luxury", we subtitle everything, and hence give the population free English training. smile

About the "spatial discontinuity guy", I was facepalming throughout that entire guys presentation.

See, what I see in the Shining is obvious: To my eyes, pretty much every shot looks like how a storyboard artist would draw it. When you draw a storyboard of a hotel corridoor meant to lead the eyes to two creepy girls, you draw a certain way, certain shapes fit in certain places. It looks great on the paper... and it looks awesome when turned into reality. Now, does that thing necessarily make sense as a "hotel corridor"? NO.

Look at how beautifully composed all those hall shots are, including the visual rythm the doors give, etc.

And yes, it was a set, a set built in an area intended to optimize the usage of the studio space. So it obviously made no *actual* physical sense at all (there were, in fact, no rooms behind those doors people! And the one or two that actually were, often didn't match where the "doors" on the outside walls were).

This would never have been noticed by the internet-douchebag-crowd if it hadn't been for Kubrick getting the idea of the tracking shot, telling the kid "bike around a bit as you want to, and then turn that corner, and see CreepyChick^2".... well... kid biked around, and sometimes the shot contains "cheat areas".

SO WHAT.

*facepalm* *palmtree*

It's not "Kubrick is a Genious therefore he made the Hotel 'illogical'", it's "Kubrick is Genious-ish for realizing 'I know we saw that faked corner in that one shot, but I don't give a shit because when creepy-chick^2 shows up, people will be peeing their pants anyway'"

*sigh*

Minutieabags (or however they spell it)

And Trey rocks, as usual. Y'all rock. I'm so proud having met y'all smile

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You've posted this in the wrong thread; therefore Kubrick is a genius.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:

Dunno what Trey (who obviously is both smart and had been in Berlin) was thinking when he said "German text in an English movie". Of course, Germans dub all movies with new German actors.

What I THINK you're referring to, is my questioning whether or not those alternate versions of "All work and no play..." that were talked about were actually typed and shot for the movie.   

I know the movie would have been dubbed in German (I am still amazed that they dub EVERYTHING there, even the most obscure old tv shows) and other languages.  But it's excessive enough that somebody had to type all those pages in English - I just found it hard to believe that that many pages were typed in several other major languages and also shot, and then inserted into multiple alternate versions of the movie.  Seems more likely the pages would just have been subtitled in other languages, whether or not the rest of the movie was subtitled or dubbed.   

Looking around online just now, there seems to be disagreement as to whether alternate versions were shot or not.  I couldn't find any screengrabs of shots of other versions, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.   It still seems unlikely to me, but if there's any actual proof, I'll certainly accept it.

MasterZap wrote:

And Trey rocks, as usual.

And there's proof that Zap is a genius.

Last edited by Trey (2011-10-24 09:19:22)

My sister has just informed me that the Republic of Hatay, mentioned as fictional in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, was in fact a real country, however briefly, before being reabsorbed by Turkey.

Trey wrote:
MasterZap wrote:

Dunno what Trey (who obviously is both smart and had been in Berlin) was thinking when he said "German text in an English movie". Of course, Germans dub all movies with new German actors.

What I THINK you're referring to, is my questioning whether or not those alternate versions of "All work and no play..." that were talked about were actually typed and shot for the movie.   

I know the movie would have been dubbed in German (I am still amazed that they dub EVERYTHING there, even the most obscure old tv shows) and other languages.  But it's excessive enough that somebody had to type all those pages in English - I just found it hard to believe that that many pages were typed in several other major languages and also shot, and then inserted into multiple alternate versions of the movie.  Seems more likely the pages would just have been subtitled in other languages, whether or not the rest of the movie was subtitled or dubbed.

Ah, yes, that sentence came out half-brewn. I'm not even sure where I was going myself with that. Probably something like this:

Yes, movies are re-shot sometimes for the various regions, where text is very important. In these CGI days it is very common (most pixar movies replace texts in the movie when it's prominent and relevant) since it's easy to re-click render.

But I've seen older more complicated examples of "language specific" re-shoots or re-edits. I've seen Snow White in Swedish, and the names of the dwarves on the beds... *in the one scene where they are introduced only!!!* - were re-painted and translated to Swedish. (It reverts to english in all other shots where they are in the background). And this is a memory from way long back, not something digitally done recently.

But you are right, wether the Shining was re-shot or not, I cannot tell for certain. Maybe it was just subtitled on top, which is what often happens even in Swedish dubbed movies (i.e. any "relevant text" is subtitled even tho it's a dubbed thing)

And yes, I'm a Genious, but so are you smile

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Having recently re-listened to the Apollo 13 commentary (one of my favourites), I noticed that you guys put Buzz Aldrin into the 'New 9' group of astronauts (aka the second group). Aldrin was actually part of the third group, The Fourteen (along with 13 others including Bean, Collins, Scott etc.).

Heh, a tiny error.

Last edited by redxavier (2012-07-10 12:30:25)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Should the name of this corrections thread be 'corrected'?

Good point.  *waves hands mysteriously*    Done!

Trey wrote:

Good point.  *waves hands mysteriously*    Done!

Good grief. If I were to do that kind of thing, it would involve clicking and typing, and possibly more clicking.

One more reason why they call you 'The Amazing'.

FIREFLY: SERENITY
Dorkman says that "Cry Baby Cry" is an older song that The Beatles covered. In truth, John Lennon wrote most of the song, with Paul McCartney penning the "Can You Take Me Back?" coda.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Our own personal Hagrid, Kyle Mattingly, has informed me that on the Eli commentary... well, I'll let him say it:

Kyle wrote:

You may not wish to be the podcast that questions how many bullets Eli has in his clip, but I DO wish to be the guy who assures you that they're called magazines and clips are totally a different thing.

Yeah, I said clip. I have since been informed that magazines are (as they are in filmmaking!) the thing that already has the useful bits inside of it and is ready to be stuck onto the shooting device. In the case of guns, bullets. In the case of cameras, film. It's a new, ready-to-shoot, hunk of stock.

Clips, on the other hand, are more or less a bullet container. Less of a thing.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

CONTAGION

Teague, you were telling the Howard Ashman "Streisand" story on this one, and "thought" that Belle was played by Lea Salonga.

holden

Paige O'Hara. The name you were looking for was Paige O'Hara.
I've lost all faith in you, Chrystie.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website