Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

I always remember the battle because when the other team of 4th and 5th graders put on their school musical in around 1979 (after the animated version), they sang a version of "10 Little Indians" as the Dwarfs were killed off.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

*is still the only one here who liked the Hobbit*

fireproof™ -- Liking films so you don't have to!   smile

That's me! And I use to tease my friend about liking B horror films. Who's laughing now?  tongue

Also, how does one do battle with a spelling bee? Has Michael Bay been contacted?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I have to laugh at "defining chapter" just because the Battle of Five Armies is the part most people forget is in the book at all. If you read it as a kid you remember Riddles in the Dark, you remember Smaug, and then you re-read it as an adult and go "Whoa, there's a whole battle in here!"

I wouldn't entirely agree with this, as a child the battle was memorable for me because it was the thing that prompted all the factions to rally together once again and it featured a few reinforcements and turning points.

It's not especially long or detailed in the book though.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

I have to laugh at "defining chapter" just because the Battle of Five Armies is the part most people forget is in the book at all. If you read it as a kid you remember Riddles in the Dark, you remember Smaug, and then you re-read it as an adult and go "Whoa, there's a whole battle in here!"

I wouldn't entirely agree with this, as a child the battle was memorable for me because it was the thing that prompted all the factions to rally together once again and it featured a few reinforcements and turning points.

It's not especially long or detailed in the book though.

To me, that's interesting, because the same could be said about the Battle of Pelennor Fields in LOTR. In the book, it is a battle, but it is not the exceptionally long, drawn out battle as presented in the films. The battle in front of the Black Gate is far more important in the book, but does not quite get the same treatment.

I will be curious to see all the factions come together and all the animosity that will show up too. It will certainly be a fun ride.

And probably very depressing too.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When I was a child and reading the book for the first time, my best mate spoiled part of the ending for me. He's still my friend these 20 years or so later, but funny how you don't forget these sorts of things. Then again, I might have blabbed about Eddard Stark's fate in GOT so perhaps we're even now.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

https://i.imgflip.com/almjm.jpg

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-07-25 16:55:45)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

https://i.imgflip.com/almjm.jpg

I get your point, but there are going to be some pretty emotional scenes in this film.

Show
Richard Armitage is having a death scene. I'm sorry, but I've grown attached to him, as Thorin, and think that his performance will bring me to tears. Same thing with Fili and Kili. Sorry, I'm not as desensitized because I don't watch GOT wink

Last edited by fireproof78 (2014-07-26 02:38:28)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Show
Richard Armitage is having a death scene. I'm sorry, but I've grown attached to him, as Thorin, and think that his performance will bring me to tears. Same thing with Fili and Kili. Sorry, I'm not as desensitized because I don't watch GOT wink

SPOILER Show
Well... not to drive this nail to hard on the head. But GoT ain't the reason I ain't gonna feel anything when those characters die. It's because when I was reading through your post I literally had to stop for about 5 seconds before I remembered which one was Thorin, and I'm still only maaaaybe 30% sure I know which ones are Fili and Kili.

And I'm probably an oddity in saying this, but I'm not one that goes "BRAH TOO MANY DWARVES BRAH", there's tons of ways it could've worked, but every time I watch either of the Hobbitses all of the Dwarves are either cardboard cutouts or whoopie cushion delivery vehicles. Hell compared to the LOTR trilogy the fact that there are ONLY 14 characters that I really need to care about (Plus a couple ancillary ones like Bard I guess) should be a relief.

I'm sure that in the moment those scenes will have some impact on me but only in regards to whatever internal to that scene trickery and acting ability is going on, not in any real sense of loss of the character.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, the only dwarf I feel some sort of sympathy for at this point is Balin.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Show

SPOILER Show
Well... not to drive this nail to hard on the head. But GoT ain't the reason I ain't gonna feel anything when those characters die. It's because when I was reading through your post I literally had to stop for about 5 seconds before I remembered which one was Thorin, and I'm still only maaaaybe 30% sure I know which ones are Fili and Kili.

And I'm probably an oddity in saying this, but I'm not one that goes "BRAH TOO MANY DWARVES BRAH", there's tons of ways it could've worked, but every time I watch either of the Hobbitses all of the Dwarves are either cardboard cutouts or whoopie cushion delivery vehicles. Hell compared to the LOTR trilogy the fact that there are ONLY 14 characters that I really need to care about (Plus a couple ancillary ones like Bard I guess) should be a relief.

I'm sure that in the moment those scenes will have some impact on me but only in regards to whatever internal to that scene trickery and acting ability is going on, not in any real sense of loss of the character.

And that's completely fair. I'm not one who demands that you feel or respond in a particular way to a film.

But, I have grown rather attached to many of the characters, including Thorin, Fili, Kili, Balin and Dwalin. I like them and want to see them succeed. I guess that is why the films work for me, but don't work for others.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Also, how does one do battle with a spelling bee? Has Michael Bay been contacted?

Sharpen your vocabulary, and shred your enemies to ribbons with a vicious tongue-lashing. Or just hit 'em in the head with a really big dictionary?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Sharpen your vocabulary, and shred your enemies to ribbons with a vicious tongue-lashing. Or just hit 'em in the head with a really big dictionary?

I have one of those. A really, really big dictionary.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

Yeah, the only dwarf I feel some sort of sympathy for at this point is Balin.

Haven't seen the movies, but as a fan of the book as a kid I always liked Balin. That's what made Moria the gut punch that it was in Fellowship of the Ring.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Maximum geek annoyance...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsReeEPCcAAlWWn.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know, we all know Kevin Bacon said that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Most British movie geeks like the same movies we do:
UK’s top ten re-watched films

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmm... really Mirror? It says Star Wars and you put a photo of Attack of the Clones.  roll

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

So yeah. It's a decent way to sort through netflix. I wish they'd let me reverse the score sorting. Trying to get to the bottom of the list is a bit annoying, and I do tend to watch a lot of fucking terrible movies. They've been so hard to find on Netflix, tho, with their retarded scoring system where anything that's not amazing seems to end up with a 2.5 or a 3.5 score. It's god damned impossible to find the truly terrible films on there.

If you're looking for something really awful on Netflix that still has some star power, look up Water's Edge sometime. Nathan Fillion is in it, which is why I watched it, but even he can't save it; it's the worst non-Transformers movie I've seen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For me (and I am always worried about ripping people off, intentionally or unintentionally) that does not sound like a concept I've heard before. Or, rather, a concept that is common enough to have it be something that would sound like you ripped it off.

The concept of a living ship is not new, but that idea sounds a little more fresh, to me. The only thing I can think of that it reminds me of is the Hunters from Halo. They are not a mold but a worm like creature that can form together to create larger creatures to do specific tasks.

That's my two cents. It may help to hit TV Tropes and look at living ships and see if anything sounds familiar. Link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LivingShip

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, rings no bells for me either, but it sounds like something that might have been used in a comic book, an area i have no recent knowledge about.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-08-12 15:51:27)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

There was an episode of Star Trek TNG with a space-whale seeks a pilot/companion plot. A decade or so later came Farscape that had a living ship who was symbiotic with it's pilot. Not quite a rip-off there. I've been harboring an unwritten thing where beings have genetically engineered giant walnuts to be spacecraft, so don't do that.  wink

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That sounds a bit like the anime Tenchi Muyo, where a tree forms the heart of space ships. I put a tree in a ship in my Bells Across the Universe books, but just because the designer was a bit too nature loving.

Basically, don't worry about if an idea has been used before. All art is borrowing, be it intentional or accidental. It's all in how you combine the parts with your own style and imagination.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

in the comic Saga, their ship is a tree from the "Spaceship Forest," and it flies pretty much wherever it wants to.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

In Battlestar Galactica the Cylons had living ships of a sort. The Raiders were living as much as the cylons were living.

From Wiki:

The new Raiders are cybernetic in nature: the ship is actually a living creature, with a complex system of organs, veins and biological fluids inside the main body. Just like the humanoid Cylons, the Raiders are also capable of being "reborn" into new Raiders after having been destroyed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylon_Raider

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

It kinda sounds like a cross between the original Dolphin tank pilot idea from Star Trek and Moya.

ZangrethorDigital.ca