Re: Suggest an Episode

Snowflake wrote:

The 'Burbs was childhood darling for me, I hear it's not very good, but would love an excuse to revisit it!

The tonal discussions they have with some films made this come to mind, where it's a great satire and consistent throughout with it's tone.  Plus, the cast is fully on board, nobody misses their mark.

"I'm mad as hell and have no choice but to keep taking it!"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DeputyVanHalen wrote
The tonal discussions they have with some films made this come to mind, where it's a great satire and consistent throughout with it's tone.  Plus, the cast is fully on board, nobody misses their mark.

Yeah, I was really surprised to learn it wasn't highly regarded, I remember loving it when I was little. I've been thinking about rewatching it from time to time, I should get on that some day, autumn's up so that's good excuse. And of course if the guys do it.

Tone inconsistency is always an interesting topic, it's so often a culprit.

The Low Frequenter

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So... Charlie Kaufman.

I know most of you don't like Synecdoche New York (I found the first half alienating, but the second half stunningly brilliant, meself) and you've brought up Adaptation favourably a few times, but I think Being John Malkovich would be an interesting middle ground for you guys to do, with a lot to talk about and dissect.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Definitely on board with a Kaufman flick, anyone catch Human Nature?  I found that to be his weakest effort, although I was pretty high when I watched it.  Synechdoche New York is one I haven't watched since theaters but it was positively challenging and I think with another viewing could have a lot of gaps filled in from the first time.  Also, Kaufman said that was his version of a horror film, keeping that in mind when I first watched it and looking back it makes a whole lotta' sense in getting older as a form of horror.  Also, that reminded me of Spielberg's segment from the Twilight Zone movie with the nursing home and how it felt so out of place among the other stories told.  I know they were all based on original episodes but that one just took me out of the movie entirely.  And I still love Aykroyd and Brooks' book ends...shit, whose on board for the guys doing Twilight Zone: The Movie?

Last edited by DeputyVanHalen (2014-08-30 15:03:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Missing 80's action movies with huge influence trilogy: Robocop, Lethal Weapon, Predator.

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Bump. Any fresh Intermission ideas? We're creatively bankrupt as a rule.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As morbid as it sounds, you can discuss Robin Williams passing, among others. The idea of an aging actor base and who is coming up to replace them.

I also have been wanting a combat choreography describing the process of designing, training and crafting choreography, lightsaber or otherwise wink

Based on a thread of tools for cheap film making, it might be fun to discuss film-making on (no) budget. Tools, resources, etc, though this might be more of a thread topic but it might inform a lot of the amateurs around here.

Could be time for a Grab Bag or recommendation episode for what you are currently reading, watching, or creating.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

The 80's action movie: its rise and fall. For a brief period of time action movies were, if not great, FUN. Why did that start, and why did it end?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

how about Bicentennial Man 1999

V

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

You guy just have to do 'To Live and Die In L.A.'
It has to be as close to a perfect movie as you can get, besides some funky editing, But parts of it are like an 80's music video anyway.
If any of you haven't seen it, you should. Probably has one of the best car chase scenes in any movie ever made.
I just love the music, but I was born in 75' so, ya.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I remember seeing it a long time ago.  Would need to rewatch it.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

While To Live and Die in LA is good (in a bizarro off-the-wall 80s way), there are way better Friedkin movies they should do first. French Connection or Sorcerer for starters

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

The 80's action movie: its rise and fall. For a brief period of time action movies were, if not great, FUN. Why did that start, and why did it end?

Probably the same thing that will happen/is happening to comic book movies. Beaten to death.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thewalkindude00 wrote:

Dorkman has teased a few times that he likes Day of the Dead! I've never heard a balanced conversation on this movie. Everyone I have listened to or spoken with seem to dislike it with no real reason or supporting argument. So maybe this would be a good one for the impending October Horrorfest as I'm sure it would get a fair bit of debate going on.

Trey wrote:

Big fan of DotD myself, I'd be up for doing that one anytime.

I would so listen to that episode...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmhhuld9601qgfwkx.png

OK, here's a batshit crazy suggestion:  Federico Fellini's 8 1/2.  Hear me out on this. 

First, I would really love to hear you guys talk about a Classic Important European Art Film.  Why?  Because it strikes me that you guys, and really all of us here on the forums, were the target audience for these films when they originally came out:  people who were interested in, and even knowledgeable about, cinema, people who were interested in non-mainstream/non-Hollywood stuff, the sort of audience who today would go to the theater to see an indie film or a documentary.  And, in that context of course, 8 1/2 was a huge critical and commercial success.

I'm really curious to have a discussion about how a film like this plays for a modern audience.  I don't mean anything to do with any film-school type analysis.  Just questions like:  Does it work?  Is it interesting? If not, why not?  What's different about a modern film-going audience?  How does what Fellini's doing compare with more modern 'art' filmmakers like, say, Darren Aranofsky or Shane Carruth?

And I think 8 1/2 would be a good choice specifically because it's all about film-making, the creative process, one's obligations as an artist, if any.  That sort of thing.  And, unlike me, all of you guys (and many people here on the forums) have been deeply involved in those sorts of issues for much of your adult lives.  Not only as writers and directors, but as any creative person involved in a film, I'm sure there are analogues to the everything that's going on in 8 1/2-- the scenes where the main character has all these people giving him their opinion, dealing with writer's block, producers in his ear telling him to do a, b, c, there's only X amount of money and you need to get going, etc. etc.

And I also wonder whether there isn't any connection between the old fashioned auteur-cinema (both as portrayed in the film and in real life) and modern low-budget film-making, particularly fan-films, which, again, all of you guys have been involved with.  A £200 million Hollywood blockbuster won't be like that of course, but surely the reason one goes to all the hassle of getting a fan-film or indie documentary actually up there on the screen is because you believe in something, you have a point of view, there's something you think that people aren't doing and that you want to do, etc. etc.  So it's not just a gig to pay the rent. You do think about "OK, why am I actually doing this?  What am I trying to achieve?"

Anyway, I'd be up for it, he says, as the crickets begin chirping and the tumbleweeds roll by....

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Big Trouble In Little China.  Also, if that flick had a different title, it's poster art tag line still could have read: "Big trouble...little china."

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I hope You guys Do a I,Frankenstein Commentary sometime down the road i would like to get your thoughts on it and Could you also do a commentary on one of my Favorite films Underworld also.

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What is there to say about Underworld for 90 minutes? "Here's their Matrix pastiche. Here's their other Matrix pastiche. Kate Beckinsale looks hot here. What are Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy doing in this? I'm not sure the physics of that work. I'm sure the physics of that DON'T work."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

C-Spin wrote:

What is there to say about Underworld for 90 minutes? "Here's their Matrix pastiche. Here's their other Matrix pastiche. Kate Beckinsale looks hot here. What are Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy doing in this? I'm not sure the physics of that work. I'm sure the physics of that DON'T work."

I believe you play a drinking game called "Count the Magic Beans" wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been on a bit of an animation kick lately... Talking about a film like Coraline or Paranorman could be pretty cool!

Another Disney Renaissance film (esp. Beauty and the Beast or Hunchback of Notre Dame) would also be awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Frozen and Hunchback of Notre Dame.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

More David Lynch commentaries! The Elephant Man, maybe?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thewalkindude00 wrote:

Oh, Hunchback is my favourite of all the Disney movies (an unpopular opinion I know, but I think it is great). When the musical opens on Broadway I am more than likely going to fly from Melbourne to New York to see it.

It's a bit too uneven tonally for it to top Beauty and the Beast, but if they'd cut some of the comic relief and just let it be dark completely it would be without question the peak of the DR. I remember being blown away when Teague said he couldn't remember any melodies from it besides "Topsy Turvy"—"Hellfire" has to be the most incredible musical number to come out of a Disney film in terms of orchestration, power, maturity, and sheer balls.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/cTX2ouq.png

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile