Re: Last movie you watched

http://assets.flicks.co.nz/images/movies/poster/d5/d5fcc35c94879a4afad61cacca56192c_500x735.jpg

Alan Partridge (2013)

Found this while Netflix surfing, had never heard of the character before, but love Steve Coogan and doubley love Colm Meaney so I gave it a watch.

And I was really surprised tbh, the character (Which is apparently a long running Steve Coogan character) is annoying as all get out, but Coogan always manages to tow the line before it becomes entirely aggravating. The story is interesting enough, pulling just enough A Dog Day Afternoon references to fulfill the hostage movie criteria, without becoming a full blown parody. And the characters are all flesh out, and you really do start to feel for Colm's character by the end.

All in all, I really enjoyed, it definitely has a very British sensibility to it, mixed with Coogans own unique brand of wild and weird. Some genuinely hilarious moments and clever writing throughout. Colm Meaney is great as usual.

It's probably not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-12-02 10:39:59)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

what the hell have you seen Coogan in other than Partridge?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I've never seen any Partridge, either. Looks kinda off-putting.

I know Coogan from, like, The Trip. Tropic Thunder.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Coogan is great in The Other Guys.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah, they kept putting him in movies. That was weird.

Alan Partridge was essentially a precursor to The Office, 'cause he has the self-importance and lack of self-awareness that plagues all the characters that make Ricky Gervais so popular. I never understood how The Office was soo much more successful, you'd think there'd be a bigger overlap in the fanbase, but apparently not.

Last edited by Herc (2014-12-02 21:08:33)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc wrote:

Alan Partridge was essentially a precursor to The Office, 'cause he has the self-importance and lack of self-awareness that plagues all the characters that make Ricky Gervais so popular. I never understood how The Office was soo much more successful, you'd think there'd be a bigger overlap in the fanbase, but apparently not.

There may be a complete overlap, but only in the case of the smaller Alan Partridge fan base being among the fans of The Office. Few search out earlier shows they had ignored that inspired their new favorite.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have watched Interstellar.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/We%27re_the_Millers_poster.jpg

A risqué comedy done properly. We're The Millers delivers lot of outrageous jokes wrapped in a fun story. If you liked Californication, this movie will make you laugh (and you'll never look at that kid from Narnia the same way again).

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8f/GOTG-poster.jpg

The movie seems competently made, but it's missing something. Many people insist on comparing Guardians Of The Galaxy to the original Star Wars; I don't think it's deserved (it reminded me more of Chronicles Of Riddick). GotG simply doesn't make me care about these characters and this universe. It could use some of Joss Whedon's witty writing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/The_Lego_Movie_poster.jpg

Everyone kept saying how good it is, so I decided to buy the DVD and... man, it's really fuckin' good. I liked Cloudy and Jump Street just fine, but this is definitely the best achievement of the Lord & Miller duo. Watch it. Watch it right now.

I had a few LEGO brick sets as a child. In communist Poland we had to buy them in special stores for ersatz dollars (they were considered luxury goods). This movie brought back some great memories...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marty J wrote:

In communist Poland we had to buy them in special stores for ersatz dollars (they were considered luxury goods). This movie brought back some great memories...

I can't believe that isn't on the poster  big_smile

Nightcrawler. Highly recommended.

It'll make a great double-feature with Scorsese's The King of Comedy.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY4MzQ4OTY3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjM5MDI3MjE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Apart from the brilliant Sweeney Todd, this is the best Sondheim adaptation to make it to screen thus far, but that doesn't make it the perfection that the stage show is. On the contrary, while many of its cuts are wise a few are horribly ill-advised and result in a third act that feels incredibly rushed. Some of the casting was spot-on, but Johnny Depp is distracting as The Wolf, and Daniel Huttlestone is far too young for Jack. The most annoying thing had to be the singing. Half of the vocal performances were pitch-shifted to hell and back; on some it was only noticeable as an unsettlingly shiny-sounding feel, but on others the garbled sliding is completely up front and is horribly distracting. Sondheim's songs don't require note-perfect vocal performances, and trying to "fix" the ones here by computerizing them does his music a horrible disservice.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY4MzQ4OTY3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjM5MDI3MjE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Apart from the brilliant Sweeney Todd, this is the best Sondheim adaptation to make it to screen thus far, but that doesn't make it the perfection that the stage show is. On the contrary, while many of its cuts are wise a few are horribly ill-advised and result in a third act that feels incredibly rushed. Some of the casting was spot-on, but Johnny Depp is distracting as The Wolf, and Daniel Huttlestone is far too young for Jack. The most annoying thing had to be the singing. Half of the vocal performances were pitch-shifted to hell and back; on some it was only noticeable as an unsettlingly shiny-sounding feel, but on others the garbled sliding is completely up front and is horribly distracting. Sondheim's songs don't require note-perfect vocal performances, and trying to "fix" the ones here by computerizing them does his music a horrible disservice.

"The most annoying thing" in a Sondheim thing... is the singing?! If people are willing to accept noticable pitch correction in a Sondheim production then, I'm call time on music. I don't want to live in that world

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://chantrellposter.com/images/products/large/105.jpg

Watched a 1969 Alain Delon flick I'd never heard of before called The Sicilian Clan. Interest peaked as the late 60s early 70s are basically the golden era of French crime films, with this sandwiched neatly between Le Samourai and Le Circle Rouge, and I was right. It's terrific, looks gorgeous (the blu-ray transfer is great), has an all star cast, a wonderful Ennio Morricone score, and very elegant 70s film-making.

If there's a knock against it, it's that this feels like a bit of a big budget cash in on a genre and actors who were becoming extremely popular internationally. So you have 3 big name leads, and a pretty predictable heist story that goes from Paris to Rome to New York in a way that feels sort of similar to what we see now with movies suddenly going to China in the 3rd act to rake in the foreign dollars. 

That being said, while it's not as raw and restrained as Le Circle Rouge or Le Samourai, for a big budget version of that kind of movie, it's still really awesome and retains that cool genre vibe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That does look good! I think my graphics card is on the fritz, the cuts are wigging out glitchy style - stupid 780ti must be busted but kinda wanna see that now.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

It's just a boring generic adventure film with all the standard plot beats and goofy Micheal Bay style camera bullshit. Lensflares up the ass, poorly shot action scenes where you can't tell what the fuck is happening half the time

Yeah, it seems like Jonathan Liebesman tried really hard to emulate his new mentor.

I find TMNT more tolerable than the Transformers sequels (it's shorter and less exhausting), but it's still bad. Megan Fox as April O'Neil? Dooo nooot waaant....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just watched TMNT for the first time myself Saturday night. Totally agree with Squiggly, except that I thought the turtles were handled a little better than he did, personality-wise. And I think the 90's movie is also terrible. I just watched it a couple of months ago for the first time since I was about five, and it has almost no redeemable qualities. Judith Hoag is a mega-babe and Elias Koteas gets a couple of funny moments, that's it.

This new one was worse, though. I hated Megatron. Splinter was really ugly design-wise, badly rendered, and Tony Shalhoub was horribly miscast. And I've never been as actively annoyed by the style of photography in a film as I was here. Almost every shot is bad.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I watched a Steve Gutenberg double-feature: Police Academy and The Boys from Brazil.

http://www.zarban.com/wp-content/cache/imdb/images/0087928_big.jpg

Police Academy holds up for what it is, a thinly-veiled mash-up of Stripes, Animal House and The Bad News Bears filled with juvenile humor. The Gut is a screw-up with an attitude problem who gets sent to police academy along with a bunch of misfit wannabes but who learns a lesson and helps some of them succeed in the big game, which in this case is a riot.

Note: The upcoming Lavalantula reunites the Gut with some of his Police Academy costars.

http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/799125/600full-the-boys-from-brazil-poster.jpg

The Boys from Brazil is a B-grade thriller--maybe less--with a clever premise but that seems to be trying ineptly to capture the magic of The Omen. Mad scientist Dr. Josef Mengele (Gregory Peck) leads a leftover Nazi organization that has been creating 94 little Hitlers and now has reached the point at which little Adolf's abusive father died suddenly. The operation raises the Gut's suspicions, and he involves Nazi-hunter Lawrence Olivier. The finale's theatrics and 1970s-slang-spewing mini-Hitler has got to be seen to be believed.

Last edited by Zarban (2015-01-08 23:03:23)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

http://www.magpictures.com/wearethebest/images/photos/photo_07.jpg

Paulou came over and we watched this on Eddie's recommendation from one of the wrap-up episodes. It's available on Netflix here in the US, dunno about elsewhere.

It's delightful. Not much more to it than that, it's just a lovely little story. Thumbs up.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Not just Eddie's recommendation, but errobodies.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/1a1f80fcbf14bec6c001fb611399c7eb/tumblr_n6edrzU6E71sp4nfqo1_500.gif

But yes! It's tremendous.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It had a similar effect on me that O Brother, Where Art Thou, had on me.  It just made me happy.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BTW, Hedwig's haircut after that scene is fucking FIERCE.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We arrived at the same conclusion.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tell me one good thing about my life.

YOU'RE IN THE WORLD'S GREATEST BAND

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down