Topic: Friends in Your Dungeon

There was discussion in the chat about table top RPGs and how awesome they are, so I volunteered to run a FYIH tabletop campaign. Several people expressed interest, so lets make this happen. So, first up, the three S's: Setting, System, and Schedule.

Setting:
Where do you want this campaign to take place? The world of Star Wars? Forgotten Realms? Something original? Do you prefer Sci-Fi or Fantasy? A mix or both? Other?

System:
What system do we want to use? D&D 5th? 3.5? Shadowrun? Traveller? Homebrew? I have a fairly robust system I built myself, but it's somewhat complicated. Other?

Schedule:
When are you available? What timezone? How often do we want to meet?

EDIT: Little bit of record keeping. People who are in:

Owen, Star Wars or Original, something beginner friendly, any time (BST)

BDA, Preference Sci-Fi (maybe cyberpunk?), something beginner friendly, not Saturdays (MST)

Herc, Preference Fantasy, beginner but down for whatever, EST evenings

Botor, Preference Sci-Fi, experienced

Teague?

Fireproof, Preference Sci-Fi (maybe cyberpunk?)

Faldor, , beginner

Dave?

Eddie

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2015-04-08 08:22:45)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Friends in Your Dungeon

I'm in.

For the setting, I've wanted to do a Star Wars game since the days of Digital Llama Radio. But I think something original based around the forum itself could be fun.

System wise, as somebody who doesn't really know anything about tabletop RPG's, I'll say go with something relatively accessible and straight forward.

And lastly, I have no job and stay awake till all hours - so I'm pretty much free whenever. Currently in BST.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also in.

My gut reaction is to say sci-fi, but watching Critical Role, the whole fantasy thing seems really fun too. So I'm pretty much down for whatever right now.

System wise, I've never actually played an RPG before, I understand some of the basic concepts and stuff, but nothing in practice. So yeah, something more accessible would be good.

And availability. That's as tough one, my schedule is all over the place. But if we can schedule far enough in advance and have like a day, I can usually make it work. That said, saturdays are pretty much always booked up for me, but sundays are much more avilable, and then time during the week depends on what my part time job throws at me. And I am mountain standard time.

Also I will say, I would love to be able to like record and post play sessions if they actually turn out and are good content. But that's going to depend on the rest of the group. But I thought I'd throw it out there now.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-04-05 23:48:56)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

There is an official Star Wars RPG, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the way it plays. I could adapt another system to the Star Wars setting if we want to go that way (I bet Shadowrun's system would kick ass with some alterations, hmmm). If we want to do something custom, building worlds from the ground up is one of my specialties and something I love to do, so don't worry about it being extra work for me or anything.

My Friday, Saturday, Sunday is generally pretty busy, so it would be quite hard to make it happen on of those days. Very late on Sundays might work as a last resort. Weekday evening or night works best for me. Central Standard Time here.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would also say just on a technical level I think it's a must that everyone who wants to play has some sort of webcam/video capabilities, so we can all see each other. And we'll need to find a system that will work well for something like this, like Google hangout or skype or what have you. Owen, you probably know more about that than I do.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Hangouts would work better if we wanna stream it.

EDIT: Another benefit of Hangouts would be having lower thirds with character names and such on.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2015-04-06 00:37:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Setting: I'm cool with fantasy or sci-fi, but I think I lean more towards fantasy (i think I just want an excuse to use overly-wrought language. forsooth).

System: I haven't played anything like this before. If this is happening, and we have something certain, I'm more than willing to find a rulebook and learn the system smile

Schedule: I am E.S.T. and evenings would be better if it's a weekday. (Or anytime on the weekend).

I am excite!

edit: yeah, the google-hangout system you use for Extended Edition seems like it would work out real well for this.

Last edited by Herc (2015-04-06 00:35:52)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I've never used it, but I hear http://roll20.net/ is good for this.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've used a roll20 plugin for Hangouts, it worked great.

I'm in, would just need to figure out the webcam situation (have a headset for audio though).

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I'm definitely curious.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's worth trying. If it turns out it's not your thing, no worries. smile

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Roll20 looks cool. I'd like to see that in action.

Just to watch, mind you.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I'd be willing to give it a try as I have been interested in attempting a table-top RPG for some time now. Online might be easier given my wacky work schedule.

Webcam is not possible right away, but I will be taking steps to change that. Still set for audio though.

Setting: I am down for either, though I prefer science fiction. I find already established worlds easier for me to immerse myself in to because I am big on world building and knowing all the lore and ins-and-outs of a world. But, the right fantasy world (not LOTR-yet...I probably could be persuaded without much difficulty) could draw me in.

Maybe a cyber punk style setting?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ah right, setting. I prefer sci-fi over fantasy but can do well in either. (I'd also prefer sci-fi because I'm in a semi-weekly D&D 5th Edition campaign in the Forgotten Realms setting, so sci-fi'd be a nice change of pace.)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I would totally be down for some cyberpunk craziness.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Nerds!

tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've never done an RPG but I'd but up for giving it a go.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I think PARANOIA is the only game suitable for this forum.

"The Computer is your friend!"

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've done my fair share of DnD back when 3.5 were the newest rule set, playing rogues and druids, but having said that, these things take up far too much time. A session can easily take 6 hours, which I just don't have at any given time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just so people are aware, Tom is not exaggerating, I've had sessions go 10+ hours long. How long we want to have sessions go is a discussion we need to have. note, combat takes more time than role play, so if we want to focus around dungeon crawling and wacking stuff we need to budget more time, if we focus more on the role play aspects we get get away with less.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmm.

I can usually squirrel away 4-5 hours at a time, maaaybe 6, if it's far enough in advance. No way I could do 7-10+.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It can easily go less though. I know I've said this before, but Harmontown used to do (now they do Shadowrun) a weekly segment of live D'n'D that would last under an hour, but is still plenty of time for action and a bit of exploring. I think a 3 hour slot would be reasonable and fruitful. Besides, most of the appeal for me is that this seems like something that would be fun and most importantly, social, so I'm not worried about how much progress we make in a session as long as everyone's enjoying it smile

Last edited by Herc (2015-04-07 03:24:46)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Yeah, I might have to observe until I can determine the full amount of time. Rotating work schedule can be a pain to plan around.

The time commitment is one reason why I have not been able to do one even with my friends.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To clarify, 2-3 hours is definitely enough time to get things done, 10 hours is not the norm.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2-3 hours is more reasonable, in my opinion.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down