Topic: The FIYH Top 20: An Experiment

Inspired partly by Herc's awesome Re-Weighting the IMDB 250 thread and partly by the fact that I think it could lead to some good discussion amongst all of us, I had the idea to see if we could attempt to establish FIYH's version of the IMDB 250. It'll probably require the aid of someone who's better at charts and algorithms and such than I am, and considering our relatively small user base it might not pan out at all, but I figured it's worth a shot.

So, obviously none of us actually has 250 films ranked in their head, so I'm proposing a much smaller-scale model: twenty films each. In addition to this, rather than just duplicating IMDB's system and having one "Greatest" list, the FIYH list will have two categories: your twenty favorite films, and the films that you think are the twenty greatest in terms of craft, impact, influence, etc. Obviously it's kind of a loaded word, but that's rather unavoidable in this context.

Hopefully, if we get enough people contributing and enough overlap between titles, we'll be able to create a chart of sorts mapping out what the FIYH community considers to be the twenty greatest films of all time. And who knows, maybe the favorite films will overlap enough that we'll be able to chart those too. Even if that doesn't happen, my hope is that the numerous different answers everyone gives will provide a good stimulant for conversation and debate. Feel free to provide as much or as little explanation with your list as desired.

I'll go first. My list of the greatest is inevitably going to suffer from the fact that until relatively recently I haven't studied film as an art so much as for entertainment, something I'm frantically trying to catch up on. This is why I may have some films on there undeservedly--I've seen their influence, but not what influenced them . It also explains the prominent lack of Citizen Kane—I haven't seen it yet. However, I do think I can still lay out some relatively coherent criteria for why I label great films as such. Technical and artistic advancement are obviously of huge import. Impact and influence maybe even more so—there are many films that are better than, for example, Blade Runner, but there's no question that it's one of the most important movies ever made in terms of setting the look for decades to come. Something that combines both advancement and impact leaves a massive footprint, which is why I placed Star Wars so high. And in a lot of cases, it comes down to sheer scope for me. Apocalypse Now and Gone with the Wind are wonderful films that would have artistic merit even on a smaller level, but their primary importance lies in their staggering scale—you have to stand in awe watching them and seeing such huge amounts of work bring something so massive to the screen. An epic scope rarely leads to perfect movies, but it does epitomize what film does so well—bringing other worlds to an existence that is larger than life. All that in mind, I recognize that the list is loaded and arbitrary regardless—again, that's unavoidable.

Darth Praxus' Twenty Favorite Films
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Princess Bride
3. The Fellowship of the Ring
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. Her
6. Pulp Fiction
7. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. The Thing (1982)
9. Gone with the Wind
10. Fight Club
11. Gravity
12. Blade Runner
13. Chinatown
14. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
15. The Babadook
16. Dr. Strangelove
17. Inherent Vice
18. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
19. Fiddler on the Roof
20. Beauty and the Beast

Darth Praxus' Twenty Greatest Films
1. Gone with the Wind
2. Star Wars
3. Apocalypse Now
4. Jaws
5. Rear Window
6. The Maltese Falcon
7. Frankenstein (1931)
8. The Sting
9. Blade Runner
10. The Godfather
11. Pulp Fiction
12. 2001: A Space Odyssey
13. 12 Angry Men
14. Vertigo
15. It's a Wonderful Life
16. It Happened One Night
17. Oklahoma!
18. The Silence of the Lambs
19. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
20. The Fellowship of the Ring

Last edited by Abbie (2015-08-23 04:51:11)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The FIYH Top 20: An Experiment

I think having a list of "films i love" and a list of "greatest-films-from-a-film-history-point-of-view" is a great idea. I'll go have a think about mine...

Darth Praxus wrote:

It'll probably require the aid of someone who's better at charts and algorithms and such than I am

Hi! I will stats and graphs this so hard.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc wrote:

Hi! I will stats and graphs this so hard.

This guy right here. Thanks a ton, man!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay. This was really freaking difficult. The top 3 were easy, 4-10 got tricky in terms of order, and 11-20 is subject to change based on my mood, but this'll work.

For 20 favourite films, I picked the 20 films I enjoy the most, but which also are legitimately great movies, most of which are bringing something new to the table, or doing something neat from a filmmaking point of view. (Otherwise, I would have had Beverly Hills Cop and Starcrash in there. I love those films, but BHC is a generic film with [arguably] lovable characters, and Starcrash is a hot mess.)

Herc's Twenty Favourite Films
1. 12 Angry Men
2. Die Hard
3. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
4. Shaun of The Dead
5. The Thing
6. Network
7. The Big Lebowski
8. Goodfellas
9. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
10. Being John Malkovich
11. Jaws
12. Dog Day Afternoon
13. Ghostbusters
14. Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
15. This is Spinal Tap
16. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
17. L.A. Confidential
18. Back To The Future Part II
19. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
20. Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

For twenty greatest, I tried to pick films which are influential and important, but also legitimately good films that I've seen. (So, no Scarface... it's influential, but average, can we fucking admit it already? And no Casablanca... haven't seen it, sorry!) It came down to balancing how enjoyable it is as a movie, and how well-crafted it is as a film. And asking myself "if this film and all the films it influenced, disappeared, would that be a tragic loss to cinema?"

Herc's Twenty Greatest Films
1. 12 Angry Men
2. Citizen Kane
3. The Godfather
4. The Shawshank Redemption
5. The Wizard of Oz
6. Pulp Fiction
7. Apocalypse Now
8. Star Wars: A New Hope
9. Raiders of The Lost Ark
10. Die Hard
11. Jaws
12. Jurassic Park
13. Psycho
14. Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs
15. Seven Samurai
16. Blade Runner
17. The Matrix
18. Chinatown
19. King Kong
20. Singin' In The Rain

Last edited by Herc (2015-08-24 20:45:38)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Hastings Twenty Favorite Films 
1.  The Matrix
2.  The Empire Strikes Back
3.  Ben-Hur
4.  Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. The Godfather (trilogy...if it counts?)
6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
7. Jurassic Park
8. Mad Max: Fury Road
9. Alien(s...again if we can count sequels)
10. Back to The Future
11. Speed Racer
12. The Sandlot
13. Minority Report
14. The Fugitive
15. Stardust
16. Vitus
17. District 9
18. Inception
19. The Last Samurai
20. A Good Year

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Without making a big list of every film I have ever seen and comparing & contrasting between them all, picking my list is basically impossible. So I basically just skimmed through a few existing Top __ lists, looked at my blu-ray shelves and just thought of what movies would maybe count as my favourites and what could also be considered to the 'The Best' of what I've seen. Not an easy task, but hey...I've got something at least.

I'm probably gonna disagree with these as soon as they're posted, but for this single moment in time - here's my Top 20 favourites:

1. Star Wars
2. Jurassic Park
3. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
4. Back to the Future
5. E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial
6. Jaws
7. Clerks
8. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
9. Toy Story 3
10. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
11. Monty Python's Life of Brian
12. The Dark Knight
13. This Is Spinal Tap
14. The Wizard of Oz
15. One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
16. The Neverending Story
17. It's A Wonderful Life
18. Alien
19. The Lego Movie
20. Gremlins

...and my 20 Best.

1. Schindler's List
2. 12 Angry Men
3. Citizen Kane
4. The Godfather
5. The Shawshank Redemption
6. Psycho
7. Casablanca
8. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
9. Seven Samurai
10. Life is Beautiful
11. Blade Runner
12. Jaws
13. Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs
14. 2001: A Space Oddysey
15. Blade Runner
16. Bicycle Thieves
17. Jurassic Park
18. Goodfellas
19. Network
20. Pulp Fiction

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I see Blade Runner is so great you had to list it twice. wink

I'm intrigued by your listing TDK as a favorite. Not because I think you're wrong, just because so many people here (myself included) seem to prefer The Prestige for Nolan.

Last edited by Abbie (2015-08-24 22:47:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

The Director's Cut, and The Final Cut wink

Darth Praxus wrote:

I'm intrigued by your listing TDK as a favorite. Not because I think you're wrong, just because so many people here (myself included) seem to prefer The Prestige for Nolan.

That's what I get for rearranging stuff, can't even remember what is supposed to be there now! tongue

I picked TDK, partly because of being a Batman fan and also the nostalgic element of where I was in my life at that time. Even out of the three Nolan Batman films, I'd probably say Begins is the better film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thong Instigator [/quote wrote:

That's what I get for rearranging stuff, can't even remember what is supposed to be there now! tongue

I picked TDK, partly because of being a Batman fan and also the nostalgic element of where I was in my life at that time. Even out of the three Nolan Batman films, I'd probably say Begins is the better film.

Ooh, now that's interesting. I'd say Begins is the better structured film, for sure, but there's just so much more to TDK. To Brian's point, TDK gets 90% of its material but misses the last 10%. But that 90% is so much more interesting and daring than the 100% that Begins plays (relatively) safe that I'd still call TDK the superior film.

I definitely get the nostalgia factor. TDK was one of the first grittier, "grown up" movies I saw, at twelve or thirteen years old. It's definitely left a massive impression on me due to that.

Last edited by Abbie (2015-08-25 00:21:31)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Top 20? That's HARD.

1. Fight Club
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Matrix

... And that's all I can fathom. I'm sure I could put 17 more movies in there in no particular order, but looking at my IMDb ratings list, I've given 10/10 to 84 titles. Narrowing it down will be a pain in the ass.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Y'all, if we can get, say, 10 more people to do this, I'll make a shiny, interactive online app for examining the data!