Topic: Request - Video Rockets blowing up

In addition to teaching video production, I am now teaching an engineering class.

I want to do a unit on prototypes and failure.  I have seen videos of early NASA of a lot of different rockets blowing up as they figured out how to do it right.  I cannot find any these videos.  I think it would be helpful to show how NASA had problem, they worked those problem, and sent people to the moon.  (I'm sure I'm going to be using Apollo 11 a lot)

I figured there are enough space nerds here that someone knows where to find it.

Last edited by Hank (2016-08-17 00:33:15)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Request - Video Rockets blowing up

There are several clips in The Right Stuff and October Sky.

/super-helpful

EDIT: Also, if you haven't seen the episode of From the Earth to the Moon called "Spider," check it out post-haste. No explosions, but that whole "work the problem, people" engineering mentality runs front and center.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have the right stuff, and can get October Sky from the library.

As for From the Earth to the Moon, That is going to be my weekend project.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's wonderful. It's delightful.

Also, every episode is essentially a new short movie, so you could watch a single episode if ya wanted.  cool

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

It's wonderful. It's delightful.

Also, every episode is essentially a new short movie, so you could watch a single episode if ya wanted.  cool

Absolutely this. Spider is fantastic from an engineering pov, and just generally awesome. But I also really love Galileo Was Right from a "no seriously guys, rocks and science can be really fking cool." it's just a nice look into the actual captital S science that Nasa was/is doing.

ZangrethorDigital.ca