Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

I haven't, but I really really want to. A girl at work was RAVING about it the other day.

It's funny because I had never even heard of the thing before I went to go see Star Wars, and the trailer played in front, and I was just thrown at the back of my seat going "WHAT IS THIS AMAZING THING IN FRONT OF MY FACE OMG MUST SEE IT."

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

So I just watched the entire fourth season of House Of Cards today. It's good. There's another series that netflix released recently called "Fuller House". It's a pseudo-sequel / spin-off show for the old "Full House" show.

So I watch the last episode of House Of Cards...

SPOILER Show
... which featured a beheading on live TV at the very end of the final episode...

... and then the credits started rolling and the screen shrank down to the top-left corner and up popped a recommendation that the next thing I watch should be "Fuller House". I couldn't help but laugh my ass off.

Also related to House of Cards' season finale:

SPOILER Show
Claire broke the fourth wall with Francis. That, for me, had more impact than the beheading. On an even weirder note, I hope that they kill off Doug Stamper eventually. That guy is monumentally stupid and every minute they spend on his character feels like a waste of my fucking time. I wish he had died in the episode where he got his head bashed in.

I still like it. Still a solid show after four seasons. I give it a couple more before they totally run out of shit, tho. The next season should either be the last or should set up the 6th to be the last. Trying to stretch it beyond that will probably sour it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's videogame shit, so it doesn't belong in this thread, but I'm definitely not playing it, so it doesn't belong in "what are you playing" and i don't think it belongs in a 'cool video' thread. More 'random shit' thread material, but there isn't one, really, and I'm not gonna make my own thread for this. Ramble...

So yeah, this is single-player gameplay from the new DooM game. I watched it while getting more and more frustrated by the people talking and the horrifyingly generic looking gameplay going on. So let's list off all the ways DooM is now one of the weakest, me-too piles of crap I've ever witnessed instead of the industry leading innovator it started out as:

1) Story with an antagonist. Cutscenes. Scripted sequences. 'Log files'. Disembodied voiceovers. We need a plot.
2) Pointless upgrades. Mod your weapons. Add different ammo types. It adds nothing, but players like choice, right?
3) Takedowns. Close to an enemy? Push a button and watch a canned animation of you ripping off it's jaw.
4) Shiny! Pickups glow. Enemies glow. Interactive things glow. You'll never have to think with glowy things!
5) Button prompts! Are you stupid? Don't worry, we'll tell you which button to push and when to push it!
6) Everything in this world is made of metal and plastic, because modern game graphics are good at making things look like metal and plastic.
7) Interaction animations! Nothing says awesome like a two-second delay every time you try to open a door!

I stopped watching when both the PR guy AND the 'journalist' guy didn't know the name of one of the enemies. They're getting paid to talk about a game and they can't fucking name the enemies in the game. There was no variation in the enemies. The enemies all have generic attacks and mostly just stand around. The first section of the game featured mostly enemies who didn't even have projectile weapons... There are like three enemies in the classice DooM games who don't have projectile weapons, and one of those enemies IS THE PROJECTILE FOR ANOTHER ENEMY! The person playing the game just waded into a room that had both a Revenant and a Mancubus on top of like five other enemies and he just ran around and killed them and got hit for maybe 30 points of damage the whole time. And the journalist guy was like "What is that thing?" and the PR guy is like "Uh, I dunno... A Hell Knight?"

Meanwhile, this douchebag had previously been talking about how fans of the older games would probably appreciate the fact that they can turn off the glowy bits to get more of that 'authentic' old-school experience.

/vent

Edit: Oh, and I forgot...  The chainsaw is apparently just a one-hit-kill-pretty-much-anything weapon, but in order to use it you have to have enough "chainsaw ammo". And then using the chainsaw to kill something will drop a bunch of other ammo. For some reason. Because the only reason to use the fucking thing is when you run out of other ammo, right? Not, you know, because it would be fun.

Not that pressing a button to get a shitty gore cutscene would be all that much fun anyway...

And holy shit, there's a part where they guy looks at a floor vent, a button prompt comes up and he kicks the floor vent in and apparently that's a secret area! They button-prompted the secret area!? And he'd gotten a map thing, and the secret area was on the fucking map as well!?

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2016-05-07 00:12:23)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Two things:

First, the new Ghostbusters trailer #2 came out. Still looks like shit to me. Made worse by the inclusion of lots of additional references to the original and the Stay Puft Marshmallow man. Except it's not the Stay Puft Marshmallow man. It's the ghost from their logo. But the only reason they put it in the movie was probably so they could have a giant white monster-ghost that looked like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, and the only reason they put it into the trailer was to trick people into thinking the same.

Secondly, I've sat down and watched some actual gamers play the new DooM game, and while I still greatly dislike a lot of things about it, it actually doesn't look as bad as I thought it did in all of the promotional materials they released. Which I suppose means that they were trying to sell the game by making it look way shittier than it actually was for some reason. I still don't like some of the fundamental design choices they made, tho, and I think they should have taken a different approach to the basic mechanics of the game.

First thing to axe completely are the glory kills. Many people have made fun of the Polygon video where whoever was playing the game appeared to have never played an FPS videogame before. But they were playing it very much like how a lot of modern games get played. You run straight up to shit and use the insta-kill melee attack that stabs people in the throat with your knife, because that's the most efficient way to kill enemies. You also don't spend much time in modern games running and gunning and instead move from cover to cover so you can wait for an enemy to stop firing and then pop up and shoot them. This paradigm creates a situation where many modern gamers probably haven't spent a lot of time being forced to aim at shit precisely while moving around. The scenarios where you do have to do that are mostly limited to multiplayer, and the tactics on display in that video aren't far off from what you see in typical multiplayer games. Lack of a slow-targeting system like you get in CoD when you shoulder your weapon is probably to blame for the poor aiming ability.

In short, modern games have probably trained that person to suck at oldschool FPS games.

So axe that and get rid of the glowy shit and prompts for everything. Replace the melee kills with a system that promotes a more diverse skillset and tactics for dispatching enemies. Most of the gameplay videos I see feature a lot of the same sort of 'run up to enemy while shooting, hit insta-kill button, win' sort of tactic on every enemy encounter. Introduce some new enemy types that the player needs to more or less avoid close contact with, forcing them to take a different approach to those enemies. Have the enemies interact with each other more. One of the main tactics of DooM was to get the enemies to fight each other or inadvertently shoot each other. Maybe keep the chainsaw the way it is, but VERY limited use if it's insta-kill.

Some of the bosses look good. The architecture of Hell looks nice and diverse. I would prefer a lot more blatantly satanic imagery. Nothing says satan like pentagrams, goat heads and inverted crosses. If you're gonna go with a theme, push it to the limit.

But yeah, it looks like an OK game with a lot of little annoying things in it rather than a complete clusterfuck of a game with a DooM skin on it. I might even buy it and try it out if I can ever manage to get some money in my bank account again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Blood Father trailer.

This looks promising. I hope Mel continues to keep his career in an upswing. The guy's fucking good. He may be an asshole with addiction problems, anger / emotional issues and a religious nutjob, but the guy is fucking good at making and starring in movies. I hate it when people do some stupid shit and then everyone decides that that person is an asshole and needs to be prevented from doing that one thing that everyone agrees they do really well.

He's also got a movie in post-production right now called Hacksaw Ridge which also sounds very good. Neither of these is a 'big' movie, but it will hopefully give him some traction and positive motion toward getting his career back on track so he can continue giving me awesome shit to watch.

I miss him. I hope he keeps directing bigger and bigger movies. But hell, even if he were to stick to smaller shit like what he's been doing with Blood Father and Get The Gringo and shit like that, that would be fine with me. I want Mel to be a gritty, angry anti-hero. Those are generally the roles that he's been best at throughout his career.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2016-06-05 17:39:01)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

(I guess this short rant isn't worth an entirely new thread.)

Nobody here has commented on this year's Oscar nominations yet, so I'll be the first one to acknowledge the elephant in the room: FOURTEEN fucking nominations for La La Land.

I don't hate La La Land. I enjoyed for what it is: a nice little musical with pleasant, but not very memorable, songs. But FOURTEEN nominations? Seems like the Academy fell for the same Jedi Mind Trick once again. The central theme of this movie ("a love letter to Hollywood" AKA "look how awesome we are") simply screams award bait. Will anyone remember La La Land ten years from now? I suspect it will become the new Shakespeare In Love, Benjamin Button or English Patient - a half-forgotten footnote. Also, just a few years ago, a movie as impressive as Cloud Atlas got nothing. The Academy needs fresh blood, 'cause those old white men are stuck in the fucking past, like a cat chasing the same old laser pointer all his life.

The question I'd like to ask our resident industry professionals is: do you think that this is going to change anytime soon? I wouldn't know, I'm just a random idiot on the Internet. What do you think?

It is no longer a game!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm no expert, but I don't think it's likely to change any time soon.

I'm also fairly unimpressed by the world's reaction to La La Land, for what it's worth. Fourteen is insane.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All I know about La La Land

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

All I know about La La Land

Well played  big_smile

It is no longer a game!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wish this wasn't real.
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/0e592dc147f39d13e2bbe42615f56f0f1239067105_full.jpg

Whatever they come up with will probably make Trey appreciate Spaceballs a little more smile

It is no longer a game!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All you'd have to do to make a perfect Star Wars spoof is take the prequel scripts and tweak them a bit, Airplane! style.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or in the case of Auralnauts. Just take the actual movies and change a few things.

Even as someone who is deliberately decoupling himself from pop culture, I feel zero hesitation declaring that Auralnauts are geniuses who are putting the finishing touches on a form of art that will forevermore evolve from their template. Their Star Wars edits are like Citizen Kane.

Let it hang. Not even skurred.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Im right there with you.

Even considering thier Episode 5 was a bit weak.

*fist bump*

That said, re: 5, I have the opposite opinion. I think it's their strongest in some ways. Probably not the funniest, though, admittedly.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Admittedly Ive only watched it the once but I remember the distinct feeling that it was REAAAALLLY leaning on the non-sequiter humour and scenes to get through it. It felt like the least cohesive story episode of them.

I'd argue it's the either the first or second most cohesive, story-wise. *shrug* Each his own.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hrm. Ill have to rewatch it I guess.

I'm bored, so I went through my collection of movies and made a list of 50 movies, pared down a bit from about 75 or so. These are the movies I have that, if I were to be flipping around the TV and it happened to be on, I would immediately just watch that. In no particular order:

Citizen Kane
Breakfast At Tiffany's
Hard Boiled
The Killer
Die Hard
Alien
Aliens
Back To The Future
Ed Wood
The Fountain
Akira
Whispers Of The Heart
The Raid
The Raid 2
Green Room
The Thing
Empire Strikes Back
Dances With Wolves
Heat
Terminator
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Tekkon Kinkreet
It's Such A Beautiful Day
Blazing Saddles
Fargo
Silence Of The Lambs
The Professional
Her
Galaxy Quest
Brazil
Six String Samurai
Yojimbo
Ran
Muppet Christmas Carol
8mm
The Shawshank Redemption
Fight Club
Christmas Vacation
Perfect Blue
Speed
Dark City
My Cousin Vinny
Nightcrawler
Nightmare Before Christmas
Mad Max: Fury Road
Terminator 2
Ronin

I dunno why I made a list of these, and after I made it I had no idea what exactly to do with it.

Bonus film: the 51st one that just barely got knocked off the list was The Fifth Element. There are probably other films that I've forgotten. I didn't scour my collection, I just kinda glanced around to see what jumped out at me. I also noticed that I have three copies of Akira, three copies of Blade Runner and four copies of Schindler's List...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Talking about the movie "The Box" with a friend who doesn't know the DIF glossary was interesting...

"....'the box' being the Mcguffin of the movie before going to the mansion with its supernatural magic bean..."

He looked baffled

Hurroo

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

dorkman

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

So, "Rogue One" is on Netflix streaming in the USA, and someone pulled ye olde "Backstroke of the West" captioning. Click here for Star Wars: Grand Theft Auto.

Last edited by fireproof78 (2017-07-20 04:27:36)

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So... between the title, the setup that the trailer provides, and now this poster, we're getting very strong indicators that mother! might actually be Aronofsky's stealth Rosemary's Baby remake. I am so down for this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH2feOAUMAA_2eo.jpg:large

Thumbs up Thumbs down