Re: Man of Steel

Yup.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I felt is was an OK film. I did get bored watching Superpeople fly/slammed thru buildings. You could probably cut 10 minutes of that and not affect the story.

Oh, and in Man of Steel 2 Metropolis better have half the city still being re-built or I will call "Bull-Shit!"

And now for the hell of it...

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Since White's drawing a straight line between Burton and Snyder, I'm pretty sure when he says "real filmmaker" he means someone who uses and/or experiments with the medium in a way no one else does.    He's not talking about  accessibility, box office results, or even necessarily narrative coherence.

Love it or hate it, a Burton film looks like a Burton film (unless it's somebody else trying to copy the look of a Burton film).  A Snyder film looks like a Snyder film.  And since you mention them, I would put Ang Lee and Gondry into that crowd too, probably even ahead of Nolan. 

But Branagh and Whedon?  Although very talented and capable of making very successful entertainment, they have yet to do anything distinctive or unprecedented with the medium of film.   Which is in no way meant as an insult - they're highly skilled users of the medium, which is still rare enough to deserve all the accolades they get.    Ditto for Cameron and Lucas and even Spielberg. 

As opposed to, say, Kubrick.  And Fincher probably rates the "filmmaker" tag as well.  And I'm not at all sure yet which side of the fence Zemeckis belongs on - that's a toughie.  None of which has anything to do with whose movies I personally enjoy or don't.

Again, I'm just saying I understand what White's getting at, even though he's intentionally giving the back of his hand to a lot of folks with that snerky "real filmmaker" comment.  Doesn't mean he's wrong about there being a difference between crafting popular entertainment and advancing an art form.  Doesn't mean he's right about which of those Man of Steel is, either.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was curious as to what the "school of douche" definition was.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/post/gruber.jpg

Which also allows me to appreciate what Terence Malick does, even though I've rarely been able to make it to the end of any of his movies.  smile

Just got out of it. Will have more thoughts later, but as someone who doesn't give a fuck about Superman, I kinda appreciate this movie's massive FUCK YOU attitude. It's like, I know you hate origin stories, so we'll do the origin as quickly as possible in little flashbacks so we can get back to the action. And the action is so ludicrously crazy, it puts the Transformers movies to shame. I don't think its anything more than a watchabley good movie, but at least for me, I don't think you can make a great Superman movie, because he's a totally uninteresting protagonist. At least here, we get to see what a real superhero fight might look like at that scale, so I got my money's worth. Also Hans Zimmer needs to have an intervention so he writes good music again, I miss 90s zimmer

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Withkittens wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up, I was curious as to what the "school of douche" definition was.

First of all, I don't watch "movies", I experience films.

Thinking on it some more, while I do appreciate the action, this movie really needs another 20 minutes to flesh out the characters. Teague is absolutely right, grown-up Superman is a complete non-entity in this. He barely even says anything the whole movie, isn't allowed to establish much of a personality or anything. The whole first hour just feels incredibly rushed, and key moments that should be amazing don't really get a chance to resonate.

Like, take the first flight sequence. That should be an amazing, majestic moment, but the movie is rushing so fast that it's not built up to properly and doesn't resonate. The super-lazy Zimmer score doesn't help, compare this to the first flight sequence in How To Train Your Dragon, and its not even close.

Beyond that though, this suffers from the same problem I have with The Avengers, which is that super-powered, invincible people throwing each-other through things has no stakes and is completely boring. That's ultimately a problem that's inherent to Superman as a character, and no movie can really work around it, but it definitely hurts it (if they at least showed him getting progressively more damaged it would help, make him strong but not invincible).

It ends up being watchably entertaining, but not even close to as good as Dark Knight Rises or even Iron Man 3, which both have way more memorable moments and way more personality. It sure is pretty though, visually it's pretty staggering.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://i.qkme.me/3uv9zu.jpg

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Ewing wrote:
Withkittens wrote:

First of all, I don't watch "movies", I experience films.

edit: The picture wasn't working the way I wanted it too sad

I'll just say, that the Film School of Douches has now copyrighted the above as their official motto wink

Last edited by fireproof78 (2013-06-16 04:50:19)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I should state for the record that I've been nuts about Superman since I was a child. I cherish the character and the source material, so I'm bound to be tough to please.

It's funny, then, that none of my problems with MoS stem from fanboy nit-picking. (In fact, I enjoyed nearly all the film's departures from canon. Altering the details of Clark's childhood and relationship with his parents—well done. Making Lois a Celtic-looking strawberry blonde instead of a sleek brunette—great idea, why not.)

My bottom-line reaction was: Impressed by the inspired twists put on an origin story we all know, but otherwise I was bored. Lots and lots of shit blew the fuck up, and I was bored.

Other random (and highly biased) reactions I had:

SPOILER Show
* Some lines of dialogue were so weird I couldn't help but laugh. E.g., when Faora-Ul (Zod's wife and henchwoman) is fighting Superman, she tells him (quoting from memory) "The fact that you have a moral sense and we don’t means we have an evolutionary advantage...” But is not the case that Zod & co. do show a moral "sense" in the film? The first thing Zod does in the film is overthrow the Kryptonian legislators in power, basically telling them that Krypton will no longer live under their unfair, misguided rules. I don't know—that's kind of a moral argument, more or less. Likewise, when Zod captures Superman, Zod says he's "haunted" by the fact that he killed Jor-El. I'm not sure in what way someone without any moral sense whatsoever is "haunted" by any misdeed he's committed. But Chris Nolan was in on this film, let's remember, so someone's got to be haunted by something.

* I liked when Clark destroyed that mean guy's truck. If the guy's semi truck had the Budweiser logo on it, Clark could have crushed it like a beer can. You know, so long as we're doing wall-to-wall product placement, might as well.

* Richard Schiff and Christopher Meloni should be in everything.

* Let’s have a sexy little first-kiss makeout session while the fresh ruins of a major metropolitan area smolder all around us. Yes, Lois, it is all down hill after a first kiss. And it's already downhill for the thousands of human beings who surely perished moments ago from the intergalactic warfare that toppled every building in sight. Yep, this is the perfect setting for a first smooch. Is it me, or was them kissing, there, at that moment, just plain perverse? (It's like in Team America, when the characters are talking about their love lives and who "has feelings" for whom while they are literally shooting missiles and blowing up terrorists.)

P.S., The little boy with a Superman t-shirt who sat next to us seemed to doze off at one point, and then Hans Zimmer's balls-to-the-wall drum orchestra woke the kid up. It was adorable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

after thinking about it some more, I do agree with you Bullet, the film is boring because it has no stakes.  That and the main character is pretty dull.  He seemed much more interesting the way they wrote him as a kid.  I'd love to watch a movie about THAT kid, he seemed much more interesting. 

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the dark knight rises though.  That movie wasn't any less boring than this Superman film.  IM3 was pretty fun and had more interesting moments than those two movies. 

To be quite honest with you, all the Dark Knight movies felt like they were moving too fast, as is the case with MOS.

I find the Captain America movie more interesting than MOS frankly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

If Tim Burton, a man who freely admits he couldn't pick a good story of a crap heap, is your benchmark...

Now, if only the man could get his hands on a Superman movie...

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I enjoyed this one. Didn't have any major issues with it although I did think the ending fight went a little long and the twisty-turney snake creature was completely unnecessary.

I confess was distracted by three things throughout - 1) why do they give Zod and his mates a huge great ship to take into the phantom zone? 2) why must Zod chose Earth as the site of the new Krypton, and 3) why is Superman not being heroic and taking the fight out of inhabited areas?

Regarding this last question, one thing that has struck me this year is that I've seen three big tentpole movies where the third act sees literally millions of people getting killed and the heroes failing to stop it happen. I'm not sure what this storytelling element is supposed to do, be dark?

I thought Henry Cavill did a great job and was surprised by the strong performances by Kevin Costner and Diane Lane. Jor-El was really good at playing Russell Crowe as well wink

edit - how can anyone say this film hasn't any stakes? The lives of the entire human race are at stake, Superman's life is at stake. The life of that screaming pretty brunette from the Daily Planet we barely know is at stake.

Last edited by redxavier (2013-06-16 15:21:18)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

SPOILER Show

* Let’s have a sexy little first-kiss makeout session while the fresh ruins of a major metropolitan area smolder all around us. Yes, Lois, it is all down hill after a first kiss. And it's already downhill for the thousands of human beings who surely perished moments ago from the intergalactic warfare that toppled every building in sight. Yep, this is the perfect setting for a first smooch. Is it me, or was them kissing, there, at that moment, just plain perverse? (It's like in Team America, when the characters are talking about their love lives and who "has feelings" for whom while they are literally shooting missiles and blowing up terrorists.)

Show
YES. Also that whole time I was thinking that was a total rip off of SPEED.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ROFL

"YEAH. That was FUCKED UP. And it ripped off SPEED."

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Tell me about Superman, as if you had only seen this movie. Don't tell me what happened to Superman, tell me about him. Describe Superman as a person. Imagine you're setting me up on a date with him. Who is he?

Right? Nothing.

That's the great thing about this movie, though. They know that everyone knows his story, so it's not worth spending a bunch of time on. Compare that to The Amazing Spiderman--I found MoS's approach very refreshing.

Teague wrote:

Disliked score. Come at me Alex.

Sigh...you and I both know that if you give me an hour I will convince you why this score is brilliant. Just like every other Zimmer score.

Zimmer's score for The Peacemaker is pretty bad. And I'm not too keen on his scores for the Sherlock Holmes films. And I used to love it but apart from the main theme (Brothers) his score for Broken Arrow is rubbish too.

Just sayin' big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boo, I love most of the Broken arrow score, as well as The Rock, Peacemaker, and Crimson Tide.
Man of Steel was just forgettable as hell. Outside of the theme from the trailer, the music in this could've been done by any throwaway action composer. I am SO sick of the rising strings with banging percussion for 2 hours, there is no reason to settle for this kind of blandness (and hell I liked the Dark Knight Rises score more than most). Alexander Desplat, John Powell, or Jeremy Soule could've nailed this score and done amazing things with it. I've defended Zimmer a lot in the past, but I kinda think he dropped the ball here, and he's really been coasting since Sherlock Holmes and Rango.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Boo, I love most of the Broken arrow score, as well as The Rock, Peacemaker, and Crimson Tide.

I love The Rock and the Crinsom Tide scores smile

I think the Peacemaker score really doesn't hold up, though. Used to listen to it often when I was younger, along with Broken Arrow. I listened to it for the first time in ages recently and thought it was shite. I do like the theme for Broken Arrow, though, the piece they used for Dewey's theme in Scream 2. That's awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I am SO sick of the rising strings with banging percussion for 2 hours, there is no reason to settle for this kind of blandness.

Remember that composers hardly have the last say in what they're doing. Some of my best work has been rejected immediately, and some of my worst has been lovingly embraced by the director. Even a guy with Zimmer's renown has to answer to the director and the producers. Do you really think that the board of WB would take any chances with their main summer blockbuster?

Besides, I don't think you're listening hard enough. I'd say he got away with a whole lot that most composers couldn't do on a big movie like this. Sure, the action moments are "action-y"--what else is he going to do? But the rest of the film is pretty damn creative.

bullet3 wrote:

Alexander Desplat, John Powell, or Jeremy Soule could've nailed this score and done amazing things with it. I've defended Zimmer a lot in the past, but I kinda think he dropped the ball here, and he's really been coasting since Sherlock Holmes and Rango.

Agreed that any of those guys could have done a better job (Desplat is, in my opinion, the best A-list composer right now--except for Mr. Williams, of course).

My reaction is almost exactly Dorkman's. Everything was going great until we got to the action. At which point it became generic, video game, and, for god's sake, can this be the last alien superhero fight in front of 7-11 in the middle of nowhere for a while? I'm on record as deeply disliking Snyder's style, but even I was surprised by how boring the fights were. And equally surprised by how good the non-action bits were.

And I don't know why they bothered filming in Chicago. The city was plastered with CGI. They should have saved some money and shot in Detroit.

*EDIT* And I really like the score.. even if it wore on my nerves after 2 hours of looping that 45 second bit from the trailer.

Last edited by oTom (2013-06-16 22:37:09)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Apologies if this has been brought up, but how did people like Mr. Costner in this movie?

I think he's always had this even-keeled, very calm presence on screen. I found I didn't care for this quality when he was a young star, except of course in cases when being serene and unflappable was exactly right for the role—like in The Bodygaurd (a movie that is slightly better & more interesting than you remember it being). The strong, silent type is a tough thing to pull off for a younger actor. But now that he's began to really age, I must say, I find him incredibly compelling. It's not one of those things where, it's like, he was there the whole time and I didn't realize. It's more like the qualities he has always had as an actor may simply be better suited to a graying, middle-aged dude than a man in his early 30s.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought his performance was very good, but I really dislike what they did with the character. He's supposed to be the one who gives Superman his personal connection to and love of humanity. Here, he's barely in the movie, and when he shows up all he does is tell Superman he will never be accepted and to hide his true nature, they make him a bit of a bastard. I get the idea of making him more of a pessimist than an idealist, but they don't really give you a grasp on why Superman cares about him, there's like a scene missing. As a result, Superman's decision to turn himself in feels really rushed and unjustified (there's the ultra-brief scene in the church and that's it), why should he trust or want to help humanity?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Production Company logos
Russell Crowe phones it in
Exposition yadda yadda yadda
Indestructibles having stakes-less WWF fight on main street
Raaaar! Aaaawh! Rrrrrrrar!
Finale - wtf? Drop the drive thingy into the other thingy, which makes black hole or wormhole or whatever. It's so crazy it might just work.
Interminable PG-13 WWF fight with indestructible protagonists. 20 minutes of punching dolls.
CG  buildings blow up (audience looks at their watches)
Roll credits
The final post-credit scene should have been a janitor with a mop arriving in Metropolis to clean up the mess.

Thor finale (first action set piece in the country town) + Avengers finale (alien bug ships) + Transformers 3 finale (more alien bug-ships) finale + Matrix Revolutions flying punch-up finale
Nothing imaginative or new - seen it all before a dozen times
Zimmer score was effective and served its purpose
Zack Snyder's direction of action was bland. Too fast to see anything. He's there. He's gone. He's there again.
Snap-zooms? Seriously? That's so Stargate. Are snap zooms Snyder's lens flares?
Superhunk was a hit with the ladies
"A good death is its own reward" is probably what the 9-11 hijackers thought too, and Tom Cruise in Oblivion. Another Hollywood endorsement of suicide bombing.

Last edited by avatar (2013-06-17 23:14:40)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down