Topic: MENDING STEEL : My Man of Steel Fix

This thread, originally posted in Off Topic, inspired an entire new board dedicated to threads just like it.

As such it has been moved, and become the inaugural thread of "Pitches, Fixes, and Rewrites."

I wrote this and posted it on my facebook - Teague asked I post it here on the forums, which surprised me being I was disowned by DIF.

Ok. Yea. So there are a ton of people talking about man of steel right now. As the definitive comic book hero people want so desperately to have a good Superman movie. I know I do. And that's why when we get what we get, we become emotional. I know I do.

I can tell you how angry I was that Man of Steel lacked a soul, that all the moments that should have carried weight fell flat because they were built on nothing.  I can tell you how the decisions Clark made all came entirely too easy and without any visible inner struggle. I can tell you the movie was a pair of legs and arms that punched a bunch of shit, but had no brain and more importantly, no heart. I can also tell you the reason that it is so infuriating is that it was SO WELL CASTED, WELL TONED and SO WELL MADE that what it COULD have been is something dreams are made of.  But instead of telling you all that (see what I did there?) - I simply want to tell you how I think that I can fix it. A few minor tweaks, additions, and subtractions and I think this could have been a pretty damn great movie.

It's a vague plot outline more than anything - but I think it makes the important moments that were in the movie much more impactful. Essentially gutting the middle of the movie and replacing it what I felt we could use to help make the ending of the movie, worth it.

---------------------
EDIT: SPOILERS! Ya Dummy.
---------------------

Here's my Man of Steel. 

Krypton, Jor-El and Zod - as is. The whole opening of the movie can stay. Don't need avatar dragon flights or anything but whatever. It establishes our world and story and is what it is. Krypton gets destroyed and its last son is sent to earth.

We're now on earth and an early 20s Clark is struggling as he discovers he can do these "things" -  Clark finally learns that he's not from this earth and is shown his ship and the key to his peoples history. It scares him. He argues with his father and we get the great moments in which Johnathan Kent explains how the world would fear him and that he must keep his abilities hidden. He scared and more importantly angry. He's angry with his parents for keeping it from him. After countless arguments he punches a hole in a tracker or some shit and eventually goes off on his own.

As he becomes a man we see the forming of a heroic side of Clark - doing what he can to help people while staying hidden from humanity as best possible (though we never see him fly, he hasn't quite discovered
that yet) - it's then he meets Lois - after some familiarizing over time, she eventually, in a moment of drunken weakness divuldges some confidential information - It can be a fun scene where they go out drinking and she gets hammered but Clark is entirely unaffected - with her guard down she explains shes heading to the arctic where scientists think they found this thing under the ice that's over a thousand years old. Drawn to it for obvious reason of course he investigates - the humans wont get to it for a few years due to their petty human equipment - but Clark simply travels deeper in the sea than any human can reach and burrows his tunnel though - There he finally learns of his past and his true father.

He's told all those great things about humans being good and about how he must fight for them, protect and lead them. He's told to love an appreciate his human family and all of human-kind - that he's more human than he'll ever be Kryptonian - He's told he was sent there to save them all. "They will race and stumble and fall and crawl and curse... and finally they will join you in the sun."  Jor's words ease him and fill him with pride... he feels ready to accept the responsibility.

Clark returns home for the first time in a while, knowing what he now knows he's come to apologize for acting the way he did, but is met with terrible news that his father has since passed. Clark blames himself. He feels he could have stopped it. Tumor came quick, he could've seen it growing inside of him, maybe caught it in time to save it.
His new found confidence is crushed. He breaks down over his father's grave, he tells his mother of his discovery and tells her he doesn't think he can do it.  That he can't be the savior of this earth. How can he save anyone when he couldn't save his own father? - He says that he's afraid. (Just like Christ did! wink wink)

OH NO!!! Lois is in trouble! Lois finds herself in a life threatening predicament with other civilians, just as Clark is discovering the situation - It's clear that saving her, now, the woman he loves, will surely out him to the public. There's no way to do this secretly - time and time again Clark heard his father (John) telling him he must never make his abilities known. That the world would fear and exile him -  but this is the woman he loves. He struggles for as long as he can and in the last possible second, and without even thinking about it, on pure instinct alone for the first time ever, Clark takes flight to save the people. He flies - to save Lois.

People gather and look to the sky, gasping for air as they watch a man in flight. Some people scream in fear. Some swell in amazement. EVERYONE'S eyes are on him. The world watches a man fly.

"Its the second coming, the Lord has returned to us!"
"How do we know we're safe?!"
"Is he American? Is he in our military?!"
"I don't want my kids living in a world where a single man can crush a entire school!"
"I think he's a hero."
"Whoever this guy is, this 'super man' - he can not be trusted with power like that!"
"I think he should be captured and monitored."
"Ah say we weaponize 'em!"
"I'm afraid of him."
The news pours with stories, opinions, and interviews in the following days. The general consensus being - We should be afraid. We should make sure he's under control.

Kent sets up a 'press confess' or something and makes himself known in a public format - The President, military leaders, etc. all in attendance - Dark clouds show signs of a storm brewing. He begins explaining himself, his story, that he's here to help. That he grew up on this land and that though he may not be human, he IS of earth. But like a gunshot heard around the world, a single nonsupporting voice in the public triggers a riot. The people he was sent to save refuse to accept him... they don't understand him and so, they HATE him.
The military strikes. The public raises arms, very few are for him and they pay for it. Among the chaos a moment arises in which the President of the United States finds himself in jeapordy. Clark saves him - Clark stands over him with a disappointed look, as the president thanklessly screams - "GET HIM!" - Clark takes off into the the sky, above the storm clouds where he stops for only a moment to feel the suns rays like a cleansing shower from the mud that covers him below, and in an instant he's gone.

Without the emotional strength to face the masses who would have him stoned, he seeks.... Solitude. (see what I did there?)

He returns to the ship -spends weeks with the ghost of his father who further explains his people, his culture, and tries to instill his own beliefs in the young Kal-El. He also explains that Zod is ruthless and will stop at nothing. While there he watches terrorist acts, natural disasters and other nightmares kill hundreds of people, he does nothing despite Jor-El begging him to go.

Meanwhile...."Sir there is an unidentifiable aircraft in our airspace." - Zod has arrived at Earth.  He tells the people of earth about the "being" living among them that he has come for. He explains if they don't give him up, they will all die by his hand."

"Look what you've done to us!"
"Turn yourself in or we'll all die."
"Where IS the man they've come for?!"
As the leaders of the world gather, the news continues to fill the air-streams with hatred towards "the man who flies" -

Clark is in solitude - he can hear all the worlds words but concentrates on a single newscast of a child simply saying - "I don't want to die."

"You must go." Jor-El tells him. He brings up John Kent and his mother to instill some emotion back into the seemingly hopeless Clark. "You must return to them. Fulfill your destiny. Do it for your Father. Your family on earth. She will die to." - Jor-El reveals to him his El Family Ceremonial Robes. (THIS is the moment for the arms-outreached-hover-you-all-know-what-were-doing-here visual.)

He meets with the world leaders- surrounded by a GLOBAL military ready to engage him in any second - he explains that he will gladly go for them, he will gladly turn himself in. But that they must know it will not ensure their safety. That there is no guarantee Zod will keep his word. He demonstrates his power to them and explains that every day he has to make a choice of what to do with it - and now its time for them to make the choice. "You can turn me in and I will go willingly, or you can send me on your behalf, as a champion of Earth, to fight for it."

cut to: He is being led, in cuffs, and presented to Zod.   

Earth has crucified him.

Zod restrains Kal-El and extracts the remains of the Kryptonian DNA from him and instills it in HIMSELF - Zod now carries the future of all Kryptonians inside himself - And as certainly expected, he does not keep his word, despite being given Kal-El and getting everything he wants - he begins terraforming - destroying
earth- Supes escapes with the help of Lois and pops and the battle ensues and despite being fed to the wolves by humanity, he fights to save them all.

Metroplis is being destroyed.

Superman is attempting to fight off his aggressors while simultaneously saving the people. He gets a hit in, saves a human. Etc etc. Eventually he notices a building is about to collapse onto some trapped civilians - he rushes to stop it but cant hold up an entire structure that is falling apart around him. People are dying.

The military has joined the fight much like the did - and when THE PRESIDENT proclaims "This man is not our enemy." it now holds weight.

Supes has Zod at his mercy for a moment. If he wanted to he could kill zod and end the destruction - "You destroy me and you destroy all that is left of our people!" - Supes can't bring himself to do it and is blindsided and the battle continues...

Battle Battle Battle

Grand central: - Supes has Zod's in that headlock - Zod is using his heat vision and slowly lurking towards civilians, from right to left - a man, a woman, a child, and another woman.   - "You think they love you?! You love these people?! Watch them Die!" (or whatever Zod said there) - Supes cries for him to stop.... the beam gets closer... Supes then watches on as Zod's beam makes it;s way through the man on the end... he simply falls in half dead as the beam works it's way towards the woman - Supes screams in agony and snaps Zod's neck. Dropping to his knees - he cries. He has killed all of his kind to save humanity.

Clark is devastated as he walks amongst the destruction of his city, his people... a survivor see's him and proclaims to the crowd - "He saved us."

"They will race and stumble and fall and crawl and curse... and finally they will join you in the sun, Kal-El."

Last edited by Jake Lloyd (2013-06-22 05:13:01)

Re: MENDING STEEL : My Man of Steel Fix

I smell a reboot.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, I'll not comment on the movie fix until I've seen the movie...
but, I have just been informed by the Legal Department that while Jake Lloyd's provisional status of expert was revoked on [redacted] it has been considered for reinstatement by Friends in your Head [citation needed]

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's so fucking on the money I want to yell. You win Jake. You win it all

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pft. Disowned my ass. We were just waiting to see how your Vine videos turned out.

Also, for my money, you destroyed this. Super cool.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Amazing work. i award you 100 internets!
http://media-cache-ec2.pinimg.com/736x/dd/96/ea/dd96ea2b2c222a6e90bf06385a3cbf3b.jpg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Jake Lloyd wrote:

I was disowned by DIF.

DIF is no more, though. Maybe these new guys will let you in.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This seems functionally identical to the movie we got, just with some scene shuffling and minor character/dialogue changes. So yes, it's great!

What I don't like about this fix is that it's less about Superman and more about other people reacting to Superman.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2013-06-23 00:52:56)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jake seems to be hanging a lot of his fix on just that one line about how they will reject you and disown you, but in time they will follow you into the sun" or whatever the whole line actually is.  It's an interesting take on Supes, but part of what makes Supes a hero is that he does the right thing regardless of how he is treated.  If you were to lean more on that aspect of his character, I think it would resonate that much more. 

Get away from the Jesus analogy and make it about more of a true hero.  That's what I'd like to see.  Kinda like a character study into the true measure of a man.

Last edited by switch (2013-06-23 01:32:17)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

switch wrote:

.... but part of what makes Supes a hero is that he does the right thing regardless of how he is treated....

.....Get away from the Jesus analogy.....

?! You said that but then that!

Making him at least THINK of saying "fuck it all" in my opinion IS getting away from the Jesus analogy!

Jake Lloyd wrote:
switch wrote:

.... but part of what makes Supes a hero is that he does the right thing regardless of how he is treated....

.....Get away from the Jesus analogy.....

?! You said that but then that!

Making him at least THINK of saying "fuck it all" in my opinion IS getting away from the Jesus analogy!

Last Temptation of Superman? O_o

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

yea buddy

I think you can show someone doing the right thing regardless of how they are treated without stooping to the Jesus analogy.  Having Superman say "Fuck this" Doesn't do that as much as it makes Superman look frustrated, which Jesus was at times.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

More importantly, having him almost immediately come to that decision in the movie completely robs it of any dramatic weight or consequence. That compounded with the fact he barely has a personality or even says anything in the entire movie makes it feel totally hollow

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hasn't Superman always had a problem with his personality? I mean, I get that he has an identity crisis, but he also is so far removed from humans that he is supposed to be saving that he is nearly god like?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Identity Crisis! Good reading...
http://www.dccomics.com/sites/default/files/book-covers/5805_400x600.jpg

Man!
They stole my autobiography title

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So these are rudimentary, and probably very basic and perhaps obvious things I thought of the day after seeing the movie.

1. Contrast the destruction of New York to that of Snyders "Watchmen".

In "Watchmen", as the destruction of New York happens near the end of the film, the movie manages to instill emotion to that event (despite there being no major characters in New York that I know of when it gets destroyed).
First we see the psychiatrist on a NY street, dropping his Rorschach cards from his briefcase as things go down. His character has a few minutes of screentime, and while he has no save the cat moment, his character is presented as fairly honest and wanting to do the right thing. We know he is going to die.
Also we see the news paper vendor and the teenager as they hug just before they are vaporized and killed. These characters have even had a small arc through the film, perhaps even more so in the ultimate cut (not sure), where we see the kid reading the comic by the news paper stand, first being shooed off by the vendor, but their relationship gets less frosty and they even get to know each others names, which happens to be the same. The vendor gives the comic to the kid no charge, and you can sense that they suddenly found a deeper connection with another person. As they die you really feel like you loose characters who could have gone on to be important in each others lives.

In Man Of Steel, 1000s of faceless people die, and at one point a minor character is temporarily stuck until Fishburne and another guy frees them.

In Watchmen, everyone involved, including the guy responsible, become deeply emotionally involved, to the point of desperation, with the people that are about to die. Some arguing that killing them is wrong no matter what, the bad guy arguing that killing a few to save many is morally good. Ozymandias even states, seemingly completely honestly, that he made himself feel every man, woman and child he killed. They fight each other bloody over this, they desperately need their point of view to become reality. They are extremely emotionally accessible.

In Man Of Steel, no one seems to give a shit. Superman at one point becomes slightly emotionally engaging as he fight to protect his mother, but that lasts for a few seconds. At one point Superman saves a soldier (and then seemingly completely forgets where he is and what is going on as he heavyhandedly asks the soldier, in a somber tone, if he "is OK", whilst other people are presumably still dying around him). He also willingly fights agent Smith/Zod through the buildings instead of drawing him away. Seriously, they just needed an honest moment where Superman acknowledges that people are dying and where he draws away the fight from the people to safer areas (I guess then there would be no CGI buildings to fight through though, which is the only purpose to this entire scene).

The contrast in approach to civilian deaths between Watchmen and MoS is quite dramatic, and shows that MoS had NO thought put into this aspect, presumably they were busy deciding which buildings to destroy in what way.
If noone in the film cares about mass casualties, I don't either. Well, for starters, it's a movie, nothing is real, noone is in peril. But if a character in the film cares, and I have come to emotionally care about them, THEN I also care about what they care about. Just having buildings presumably filled with people destroyed in no way works dramatically. If you overdo it and dilute it as much as in this film, it becomes parody.

2. Emotional connection to Superman.

The filmmakers make little to no efforts to actually contrast Supermans dual identities. They miss almost every opportunity to contrast different characters against each other or form triangles of characters. Instead opting for isolated one-on-one scenes.

2a. Supermans connection with his father figures.

An idea. In the film, Superman sees his human father die in the tornado. Superman also hears Zod tell him that Zod killed Jor-El. This fact has no emotional impact in the film. Why? Because in the film, Superman and Jor-El share one scene, which also is almost purely expository (save for the "Moment in the sun" and similar lines).

What they should have done is establish an emotional bond between Superman and the "memory" of Jor-El. The dialogue should have established a deep disappointment from both of them that they would never be able to meet, to hug each other as father and son. Clark at this point has lost his human father, and now also has found out that he can never even get to know his real father. The sense of loss should be palpable. Clark should spend a longer time with Jor-El in the ice, learning and bonding with his father.

Because ->

Later, on Zods ship, Clark should actually witness how Zod erases the memory of Jor-El forever, killing the last trace of someone he never had a chance to meet, and Clark powerless to stop it, only being able to share a few last words with Jor-El.

(in the film, only Jor-El and Zod talk, and Jor-El is essentially erased forever in a scene where Superman isn't even present, and most likely never finds out it even happened).

After Clark loosing his father essentially for the second time, we now have a very easily accessible emotional bond with Clark, and we can see that Zod is evil (his motivation to killing Jor-El doesn't have to be "EEEEEVIL!", but seeing Clarks loss and knowing Zod intentionally caused that would be enough.

This leads to ->

At the end, instead of 4 again anonymous civilians being close to succumbing to Zods eye lasers, it should OF COURSE either be Clarks mother or Lois at risk. The extreme emotion of nearly loosing another loved one to Zod would be motivation enough to kill Zod, especially since Clark in the movie gives him both 1 and 2 opportunities to stop at the last second.
The story should absolutely have the end focus down to main characters engaged with one another, not like the movie having 4 random people in peril, which does NOTHING emotionally after we've seen, and not cared about, 1000s already in that situation.

Thumbs up Thumbs down