Topic: Marvel is producing 4 superhero shows for Netflix

http://www.slashfilm.com/marvel-bringin … ers-event/

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage (in that order) will all get 13-episode seasons, and then they'll do a "Defenders" mini-series. People who know more about comics, how excited should we be?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Marvel is producing 4 superhero shows for Netflix

Well, striking while the iron (fist) is hot, it would seem.  We'll see what happens when/if the bottom falls out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  I think we should be about as excited as we were/are for Agents of SHIELD, with perhaps a slight uptick if we think it's going to be a slightly less high-profile/expensive thing, and therefore less prone to micro-management and the lowest common denominator.  In other words, who knows?

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They chose some good properties to work with. Those characters can easily exist in the 'real world' and won't rely too heavily on special effects to make a decent action/crime series.

I am a little surprised they included Daredevil though. He's more of a major character and with the rights reverting back to Marvel I'd have thought they'd take a chance with another feature-length film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rikkitikkitaavi wrote:

They chose some good properties to work with. Those characters can easily exist in the 'real world' and won't rely too heavily on special effects to make a decent action/crime series.

I am a little surprised they included Daredevil though. He's more of a major character and with the rights reverting back to Marvel I'd have thought they'd take a chance with another feature-length film.

I think the Affleck wounds are too fresh for another Daredevil movie. Plus, they're so focused on the MCU right now, and he doesn't really have a place.

I think that Daredevil is PERFECT for a TV show. It would be a superhero version of Law and Order. Half legal procedural, half comic-book mystery.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eh, I'm happy for Netflix I guess, as people will inevitably watch these. I'm just so beyond tired of superhero movies/shows. With the way marvel is over-saturating the market, I'm hoping the Superhero genre goes the way of the Western and dies out for a couple decades.

Personally, I wish Netflix would stick more to originals, but it's hard to fault them for this move from a financial standpoint.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Rikkitikkitaavi wrote:

I think the Affleck wounds are too fresh for another Daredevil movie. Plus, they're so focused on the MCU right now, and he doesn't really have a place.

I think that Daredevil is PERFECT for a TV show. It would be a superhero version of Law and Order. Half legal procedural, half comic-book mystery.

Honestly, portraying Daredevil similarly to how he was in the animated Spiderman series would work better than a film right now. Less reliance on the special effects, to a certain degree, and focus on the character and his interactions with people.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Collectively, they are weaker than their parts.  The one you SHOULD be most interested in is Jessica Jones.  Her book Alias was one of the stronger characters of the late 90's/early aughts.   Essentially, she was a former 3rd string Avenger reservist who didn't have much in terms of power.  She transitions to become a private investigator focussing on stuff in super hero periphery.   She's slightly alcoholic, a little promiscuous, and regularly makes bad decisions.  She was a blast to read.

Power Man and Iron Fist were staple os late 70's comic boom, but were both reimagined right around the same time as Alias.  They're a great odd couple sort of buddy friendship and strong characters overall.

Daredevil is tricky to convey properly.  You need to get equal parts lawyer, hero, and New York right about him.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd love to see a Punisher series instead of the blind guy, but it's never gonna happen.

Daredevil is by far my favorite Marvel super hero, so I'm cautiously optimistic about that. I could care less about the rest, to be honest.

I do like the basic idea, though. Beyond a few obvious exceptions, I think that the majority super heros just simply don't work well for one-off movies or trilogies or whatnot. They were born of a serial form and work best that way.

Eddie wrote:

Collectively, they are weaker than their parts.  The one you SHOULD be most interested in is Jessica Jones.  Her book Alias was one of the stronger characters of the late 90's/early aughts.   Essentially, she was a former 3rd string Avenger reservist who didn't have much in terms of power.  She transitions to become a private investigator focussing on stuff in super hero periphery.   She's slightly alcoholic, a little promiscuous, and regularly makes bad decisions.  She was a blast to read.

Power Man and Iron Fist were staple os late 70's comic boom, but were both reimagined right around the same time as Alias.  They're a great odd couple sort of buddy friendship and strong characters overall.

Daredevil is tricky to convey properly.  You need to get equal parts lawyer, hero, and New York right about him.

The Eddie speaks.

I am cautiously optimistic for Daredevil because of the legal part. As someone said, take the Law and Order type format, with loose adaptation, obviously. You can have the lawyer part start off the show, with the "problem" coming from either the legal side or the NY side. Once the show grows, you can have those parts intersect more, with the hero side causing more problems.

And, for openers, he has the case of suing SHIELD for the New York City damage in "The Avengers" wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ewing wrote:

I'd love to see a Punisher series instead of the blind guy, but it's never gonna happen.

I thought this was in production at FOX? I remember hearing about it since they had Frank Castle as an active cop who moonlighted as the Punisher. Hopefully, it died on the operating table.

http://screenrant.com/punisher-tv-show-fox-yman-137251/

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down