Re: The Future of Star Wars

Not gonna lie, that got me excited for Disney's streaming service more than anything else when I found out that Diego Luna's reprising his role.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

MartyJ wrote:

Rogue One's Cassian Andor is gonna get his own show.
https://www.starwars.com/news/cassian-a … -announced

...why? He was a non-character, with no discerning qualities, that was for some reason the co-lead.

The fact that Rogue One is getting spin-offs confirms that Star Wars has indeed become a zombie.

I thought he was a compelling character with an interesting arc and an effectively subtle backstory. So.

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Rogue One is the fandom favorite of the Disney movies because it was "gritty," had a ton of gratuitous fanservice, and showed Vader being a badass (not trying to put words in the mouth of anyone on here who likes it, but those three points seem to be the consensus on fan message boards). In terms of how it grapples with ideas and characters it's basically the anti-TLJ, which seems to be why everyone who has an irrational hatred for that movie treats Rogue One like the second coming.

Last edited by Abbie (2018-11-11 22:35:04)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Abbie wrote:

In terms of how it grapples with ideas and characters it's basically the anti-TLJ

Interesting, would you mind expounding that? I loved TLJ mainly for the themes explored and the story decisions made, and I wasn't a fan of Rogue One for, err, lots of reasons. But I have friends with flipped opinions and I never really considered that the two films could be antitheses of sorts.

Last edited by Sam F (2018-11-12 05:06:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, R1 reveres the Original Trilogy in a really shallow way. It's literally trying to reanimate its corpse in its use of CG Tarkin and Leia, and that same superficial appeal to the "spirit" of the old films is there in everything from the shitty in-jokes like Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan showing up on Jedha to the scene of Darth Vader being badass that was shoehorned into the movie for no reason other than the screams opening night. Hell, the very premise is an attempt to fix a perceived "plot hole" in the OT to make it more impervious to criticism. And I'll be honest, the sugar high worked for a while for me. The more eyerolling fanservice I was never on board with, but the final battle was so cool on a surface level that I let it buoy my opinion of the entire movie for a long time.

TLJ is the inverse of that, which is precisely why it made so many people mad. It loves and respects the OT, but not on the superficial "Wouldn't it be awesome if this character did something awesome they way they used to?" way that R1 does. Luke explicitly lampshades this with disgust: "How did you think this was going to end? I take out my laser sword and fight the entire First Order?" TLJ (and, I maintain, TFA) is about reaching deeper behind the glaze of childhood wonder and trying to develop a mature perspective on the heroes we love, their gigantic flaws and all. TFA balanced that with a lot of gee-whiz excitement, which made it go down easier--TLJ took a more drastic approach, which is why I and a lot of people initially had a mixed reaction. But the more I revisit it the more I love it for that. Meanwhile, a lot of the people who hate it because it doesn't love the OT in the same way they do just stamp their feet and idolize Rogue One because it doesn't require much in the way of examining their hero worship--it's just two hours of awesome things happeing because wouldn't that be cool?

Last edited by Abbie (2018-11-12 05:35:53)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great explanation, thanks for that! Although IMO to say R1 is "two hours of awesome things happening" is a massive stretch, even if fan service and OT worship is something you're into wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is fair, it's probably forty minutes at most. tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I loved TLJ for all the things you said, and I love RO because it took the focus off the main characters and put it on the plebeian masses that support them. This is precisely what makes the SW universe so interesting: it's got so much room for random characters to have their own story. People joked about the "Star Wars Story" films becoming "The Guy in Frame for Three Seconds in RToJ: a Star Wars Story".....

.....but see, that's exactly the kind of thing I want to see. Fanservice in RO was a little meh, but the fact that it didn't really give a damn about what the heroes were doing was amazing! Leia was in it, sure, but literally all she did was accept the flash drive that hundreds of people died for. It wasn't about her. She was just a person in the background, much like Cassian Andor or the others would have been to her.
As for Darth Vader, I could say the same thing about how his scene showed *why* the good guys were scared of him, while relegating him to a simple "mythical" yet background status...but really it was just totally awesome to see him in real action and I don't care.

And to get really, really artsy, that Vader Killing scene was a perfect microcosm of the theme and plot for the entire film.

So I loved TLJ because it established that the classic heroes are not perfect and we need to get over the past. I loved RO because it showed that the classic heroes were .00001% of the story, and then it killed every one of the awesome characters. I love it. (here I may be slightly biased because it has similar themes to The Hyacinth Disaster) As for the "gritty" part: yes. it was gritty, as was the original trilogy. The lived-in universe was a great feel when SW '77 first came out, and RO followed suit. And I loved it.

Sorry this was longer than I meant it to be tongue

Last edited by Writhyn (2018-11-12 13:23:32)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

JJ and John just posted a wrap photo from IX (spoilered for those who don't want to see anything about the set/location the actors are embracing on).

SPOILER Show
https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/52033986_1731453703622552_4250354714782203904_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.xx&oh=164a07c9783a8756ddc6d45c8b549b9a&oe=5CF8D78A

Oscar tearing up is making me fucking lose it.

Last edited by Abbie (2019-02-15 20:39:19)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Welp the teaser's out. Looks flashy, but with the whole "rise of skywalker" thing I'm nervous JJ ain't gonna go with Johnson's "the legend is a lie and it doesn't matter who your parents are" theme.

Of course, it could go the other way and say the new "rising skywalker" is specifically a nobody with the "skywalker" mantle. Hmm. Here's hoping. Anywhoo I really liked the character choices of Last Jedi and I hope this one is good.

ALSO WHY IS "RISE" IN EVERY TITLE THESE DAYS

Last edited by Writhyn (2019-04-12 18:27:56)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love TFA, I want to trust JJ and think this is all misdirection, but

SPOILER Show
the fact that it seems to be taking a 180 from TLJ in terms of moving the fuck on is supremely unsettling.

Also FUCK OFF if Palpatine is actually going to be a major part of this for fuck's sakes.

We'll find out in eight months either way.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes. Moving on is...please. please.

And I agree about the other thing, too. Yipes.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

haha, as someone that didn't know WHAT to expect from the forthcoming IX, after VIII literally killed the biggest baddie that VII presented... the trailer from IX was good to see.  All for coming full circle to the even bigger biggest baddie of them all.

At some point, rabid fandom is the snake that eats its own tail, and Star Wars fans are some of the most spoiled out there.  In 20 years or so, maybe they'll be more appreciated - perhaps like the prequels are more respected now than when they "destroyed" the franchise 20 years ago.  There's still been a care put into these films that hasn't been replicated anywhere (and that includes Marvel films) - and that has been worth the price of admission alone.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

Looks flashy, but with the whole "rise of skywalker" thing I'm nervous JJ ain't gonna go with Johnson's "the legend is a lie and it doesn't matter who your parents are" theme.

Of course, it could go the other way and say the new "rising skywalker" is specifically a nobody with the "skywalker" mantle. Hmm. Here's hoping.

If the former, supreme eyerolling. Ugh, move on from the Skywalker line please.

If the latter, it's browbeating people with symbolism that had been left latent for forty two years. Preferable, but still. I heard someone today say something about being confident in Disney and Abrams' subtlety regarding the matter and I just

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/rdlol.gif

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

A new Episode IX trailer premiered at D23:

SPOILER Show

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can someone please explain to me why the new poster is so bad? This is coming from a low-brow plebeian who doesn't mind the "photoshop faces" posters that are every poster nowadays. But this new one is....bad. It's a bad cgi cartoon.

I don't even have feelings about the trailer, or whatever. Might be good, or bad, meh.

But that poster??!! lol

SPOILER Show
https://gamespot1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/1562/15626911/3573697-star%20wars.jpg

Last edited by Writhyn (2019-08-27 13:13:56)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It has similarities with the original Revenge Of The Jedi poster...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/RevengeOTJedi.jpg

...except for the color palette, which is a typical modern "blue with red".
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/Captain_Marvel_poster.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Avengers_Endgame_poster.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Dark_Phoenix_%28film%29.png

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I mean it's a bold choice to introduce the Multiverse to Star Wars by bringing in the Animated Clone Wars version of Palpatine, but I guess if that's where they want to go with it...

Also Marty... are we just ignoring the Red/Blue colour scheme happening in the RoTJ poster too then?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Wait. This is the actual poster?

I was certain it was either a fan-made poster, or a poster for a yet unannounced animated series that would for some reason use the same title.

This is the poster for a live-action film?

Palpatine positively looks like a cartoon character. He could, without any kind of tongue-in-cheek half-joke, be in Clone Wars or Rebels.

Did we enter a plothole in the universe and suddenly April Fool's is in late August?

Look at his eyes. Look at his motherfucking eyes.

What the hell.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's what I'm saying!!!!

Witness me!

Thumbs up −1 Thumbs down

As far as I know, it's a teaser poster and not THE poster. Something more akin to this (which incidentally, is my favourite of the new-era Star Wars posters) from The Last Jedi.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81M4TRUuEJL._SY606_.jpg

SPOILER Show
As for why it looks the way it does, it appears that they have used an image of the Hot Toys Palpatine figure for Sheev's big floating head.

https://i.redd.it/i48hybflwli31.jpg

As for the actual composition of the poster itself, I think it would look great if it were a bit more painterly and stylised. I quite like this Photoshopped version I've seen floating around.

https://i.redd.it/9wgt59kknqi31.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think those eyes and brows are still killing it for me. I *did* like that Last Jedi poster.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't understand how this can happen with a franchise that big, with the highest of public attention, expectations and pressures. It may not be the theatrical poster, but it's still an official visual. Someone is probably getting fired for this.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think you overestimate how much people care. To most it's a simple - as in, not ten million faces busy - poster with a saber duel, lightning, and Palps in the back.