Topic: The Crackpot Movie Theory Thread

Once in a while these crackpot movie theories come out... Ferris never went anywhere, it was all in his head. Fight Club is Calvin and Hobbes. The events of Aladdin never happened. The merchant made up the story to sell a lamp. The briefcase contains Marsellus Wallace’s soul... and so on and so on.

Here is one that I came across today.

http://www.tickld.com/cdn_image_article/a_746_20140804104736.jpg
http://www.tickld.com/cdn_image_article/a_746_20140804104751.jpg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Re: The Crackpot Movie Theory Thread

Yeah...
http://i.imgur.com/k7q6vVn.jpg

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

The only flaw with it is that, obviously, it would make more sense for the Eagles to meet him on the other side of the mountains, closer to Mordor. Like, in the Elven forest. It's close to either of the middle passages the Fellowship was going to take, and a safe haven where they could get organized.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I maintain that eagles would have been stopped by the Nazgul on fell beasts before getting within miles of Mt Doom.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yeah, the Nazgul didn't start riding the fell beasts until after their defeat at the Ford, but it's not like those things didn't exist already and were probably all over the place.

Even if not, the defense so often made (by me as well) is that the Eagles are a proud race who won't be treated as Middle Earth taxis -- but the other part is just that they're not stupid and have no more interest in getting near the damn place than any other "good" race of Middle Earth does. That's why they had to send the hobbits!

Solid retcon though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This whole theory is easily debunked simply by listening to the writer/director commentaries on the movies themselves.  Boyens and Jackson specifically address this question.  And as others have pointed out above, the answer is because Mordor has air defenses of its own, and because the eagles do what they want, and they don't want to get involved in this war. 

And in context of the scene it's in, the line "Fly, you fools!" clearly means "Run, don't be stupid and try to save me" and not some sekrit code about eagles.

Unless this theorist is so deep into their psychoses that the testimony of the people who made the movie isn't sufficient evidence of what the movie was about.

I thought the Marcellus Wallace's soul thing was direct from Tarantino. He spoke up after the film had been out for a while and people were wondering what the briefcase was all about. He was exasperated that nobody else in the world had connected it to some myth about souls in boxes and supernatural protection for those tasked with returning them to their owners. The band-aid on the back of MW's head is like a dead giveaway because that's whence the soul was removed, or some such. I can almost picture him in a mid-90's TV interview speaking words to that effect, but perhaps I'm a suggestible witness who just heard it second hand.

Shit, wait, did the boys go over this in the PF com and now I've typed up my skewed version...?

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Unless this theorist is so deep into their psychoses that the testimony of the people who made the movie isn't sufficient evidence of what the movie was about.

Well, in defense of the theorist, I got the feeling he was playing "the Game".

Here's the thing about stuff like this: why NOT create a story with this kind of secret behind it, especially the thing about Marcellus Wallace's soul? I think it's been tried, specifically by Verhoeven in Total Recall...

Total Recall 1990 Show
Is Quaid really a deep cover secret agent or is the second half of the movie him experiencing the schizoid embolism the doctor warned him about?

...and by Spielberg in Minority Report...

Minority Report Show
Does Anderton really escape prison and trap Burgess with help from his ex-wife or is the third act him experiencing the rapture of the prison containment system and all his dreams are coming true, as described by Gideon, the crippled jailer?

...and Ang Lee in Life of Pi...

Life of Pi Show
Did Pi spend months in a lifeboat with wild animals or was his alternate story about being trapped with violent crewmen and resorting to cannibalism the real truth?

I think all three of these are a bit cheesy, really. On the other hand, the secret story underlying Mulholland Drive really enhances that story, altho it's so complicated I can't recall the details right now.

Utter and complete nonsense, but the payoff is funny as hell.

And let's not forget the pretty cool Pixar Theory.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Alien/Predator thing started with a rather good comic, when Dark Horse realized they had the rights to both movies and crossed them over. That was a year before Predator 2, which was probably just an injoke reference to the comic.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

drewjmore wrote:

I thought the Marcellus Wallace's soul thing was direct from Tarantino. He spoke up after the film had been out for a while and people were wondering what the briefcase was all about. He was exasperated that nobody else in the world had connected it to some myth about souls in boxes and supernatural protection for those tasked with returning them to their owners. The band-aid on the back of MW's head is like a dead giveaway because that's whence the soul was removed, or some such. I can almost picture him in a mid-90's TV interview speaking words to that effect, but perhaps I'm a suggestible witness who just heard it second hand.

Shit, wait, did the boys go over this in the PF com and now I've typed up my skewed version...?

I'm pretty sure I've read that Tarantino wishes he'd never put the orange glow in the movie precisely because it started the whole soul theory and he thinks it's bullshit. Can't remember a source to cite, though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

No one read the comics, tho. (No one reads comics tongue)

Granted, Predator 2 didn't really blow the doors off the box office, either.

Which only makes the decision to make movies about it even more questionable, really.

I keep trying to read comics...not sure why it doesn't stick for me hmm

Given the nature of the comics and the toys that spun off those creations, I think the fact that we got AVP in its form is a bit surprising.

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/3/9/182139_v1.jpg

This article explains a few more details: http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-wtf-momen … toon-kids/

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Marcellus Wallace's soul. This is from Snopes:

According to Tarantino A to Zed: The Films of Quentin Tarantino:

Tarantino has admitted that there is no official explanation behind the briefcase's contents, and that it was simply written into the screen play as an intriguing McGuffin.

And from Roger Ebert's Questions for the Movie Answer Man comes the following statement by Pulp Fiction co-author Roger Avery:

Originally the briefcase contained diamonds. But that just seemed too boring and predictable. So it was decided that the contents of the briefcase were never to be seen. This way each audience member would fill in the blank with their own ultimate contents. All you were supposed to know was that it was "so beautiful." No prop master can come up with something better than each individual's imagination. At least that was the original idea. Then somebody had the bright idea (which I think was a mistake) of putting an orange lightbulb in there. Suddenly what could have been anything became anything supernatural. Didn't need to push the effect. People would have debated it for years anyway, and it would have been much more subtle. I can't believe I'm actually talking about being subtle.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/pulpfiction.asp

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Is that a page of the 'good' AVP comic?

Emphatically no.

This is a coloured version of one of the original panels.

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/avpsegap5.jpg

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks to red for that. Yeah, i didn't think it was a real panel, but it was one of this things were it was silly enough to be real.

Also, I like that panel because it is much more interesting take on the Predators view against the Xenomorphs.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just came up with a new one, based upon discussion about Indy 4:

The Holy Grail made Indy immortal (not eternally young-let's distinguish smile ) and was never in any real danger in Crystal Skull. It also explains his kind of cavalier attitude and some other plot holes.

In the next installment, he becomes a all powerful being living on Mars, kicking off "Saucermen from Mars"

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Somewhere between Snatch and Layer Cake, Dr. Sam Beckett leaped from Guy Ritchie into Matthew Vaughn.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Also The Eagles aren't immune from corruption, even Gandalf was tempted briefly by the fate. The eagles can't be trusted.

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down