Topic: Project Fatigue

This is a subject that's been going around the office lately and it is something that I'm beginning to feel after being the sole 3D artist on a project for 5 months making very similar middle eastern style buildings for a game.

I've also felt it when trying to work on my own projects in the free time I have available (whether it be a lunch break or when I'm at home)

As you work on a project, eventually you get tired of it and it may even become a chore to get through. you may even begin to work slower and feel generally less creative with it. My question is, does this effect you all often? And if so, what do you do to combat it?

Re: Project Fatigue

Pick something random to get good at. Add a hobby to your life. You're most likely just low on general life excitement, so figure out some way to add feelings of surprise and pride and creative satisfaction to your days. That feeling makes everything else better.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What Teague said.

For me, what's incredibly important is to give my brain the opportunity to disengage and get used to thinking in ways different from the current project. Honestly, rather than working 10 days with diminishing returns (you don't feel it at the time, but when you look back, you'll see how much less you got done than expected), you're better off doing 4 good days, a 2-day break where you do something non-project-related, and 4 more good days.
2 days less work, but overall better quality. I have been having the laziest weekends lately (before, i used to try and work) and I've gotten so much more weekday work done.

And really, in the office, I like to make it known that I'm available to help others, 'cause it gets me away from my desk and lets me solve different kinds of problems. Keeps me fresh and helps me avoid tunnel vision. If you have the means to do that, I recommend it highly.

Last edited by Herc (2015-02-24 23:02:52)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I have found that being able to exercise in some way helps my mood greatly when it comes to working on projects. For me, getting out and riding my bike or doing something active gets my brain going in a different way, and sometimes gives some distance between the project and myself.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I keep reading the thread title and wondering what a weird name for a project Fatigue is. tongue

I get tired of projects too. I tend to be quite obsessive and 'all in' about both projects and moods so burn out after a while. I've not discovered a way around this though so these thoughts are really helpful.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Even bang'n Freida Pinto, ranked as one of the world's most beautiful women, got boring after six years...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/10/032C4DAF000005DC-2869020-image-a-97_1418243775184.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar … dates.html

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Local DJ's used to have a reporter from The Star as a guest. She made the observation that no matter how beautiful or intelligent someone was, there probably at that moment was a person who was tired of fucking them.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Even bang'n Freida Pinto, ranked as one of the world's most beautiful women, got boring after six years...

Garbage comment. Grow the fuck up.

--

I do the opposite thing and focus on something that I'm being fatigued by. Like, in your case, I'd buy a relevant book on middle eastern architecture and learn as much as I could. It would inform my work, make it better, and keep me curious and excited.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

More than what's needed.

paulou wrote:

I do the opposite thing and focus on something that I'm being fatigued by. Like, in your case, I'd buy a relevant book on middle eastern architecture and learn as much as I could. It would inform my work, make it better, and keep me curious and excited.

Exactly what's needed.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:
paulou wrote:

More than what's needed.

Now, this goes for the both of ya, hear?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/cleared-for-approach.gif

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure, I'll be nicer next time I want to express distaste about an offhanded misogynistic, irrelevant comment that amounts to "women are just beautiful objects with which guys get their dick wet" in a thread about creative work.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Your point is valid, my thing is more the brevity and curtness.

Disagreement is fine — within reason — so long as it's contextualized. Otherwise it's just people sniping at each other. Your reply just there is way more valuable as an item of distaste than "garbage post" ever could be.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Someone writes what amounts to "haha wimmin be fucktoys rite" and I get a post correcting my behavior?

Think about that for a second.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*shrug*

How other people see the world isn't my department, just how they treat each other while they're here.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So if a bunch of Klansmen rolled in making offhanded comments about how much they hate black people, they would be fine as long as they're nice to everyone here? How would that be different?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well it's nice to know this forum still has the ability to go from zero to holy shit in under 8 posts.

I guess we'll always have that.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

To avoid making this topic potentially go in a further sourer direction, I've found a lot of comments here to be rather insightful! It's good to get a fresh perspective to a problem.

I do have some good news though, I did manage to finish that project for work on friday! Huzzah! Not sure what the next big (or several) work projects will be for me but I'll have a bunch of techniques to potentially try out if I ever start to feel fatigued by a project, whether for work or personal.

Awesome! I tend to just get fatigued on personal projects; I move onto something else and come back after a couple months. Gives me a fresh set of eyes and ears for it too, which is great.

For work I do wedding films. I get fatigued in general at the end of the season but once I start editing, a project generally only lasts a week to a week and a half before I move on to the next.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Paulou has a point though (pre-Klansmen comment), and also there are two complicated issues concerning this:

Misogyny and audience
Until Paulou brought it up, I just read avatar's post and brushed by it. Usually I speak up if something bothers me, so now I'm bothered by the fact that I didn't speak up. Sure, I get the whole thing of this is a small, close forum, so it meets most of the requirements for "know your audience" but on the other hand, some of our forum members are women, and Paulou's right about the comment being irrelevant and misogynistic. I wouldn't want anyone to feel that this is anything other than a safe environment. That kind of comment isn't something we want to encourage (and, in my book, based on everything that has been happening in America since August 9th, not speaking up about something is just as bad as endorsement. I'm not gonna argue this point, if you disagree, fine, but I'm not debating that).
I get the whole thing of "hey, relax, it was a joke", but gosh, that's really too easy to fall back on as an excuse. It's subtle, but that very quickly becomes "my sense of humour is more important than you feeling comfortable".

When and how to speak up
Teague has a point, too. Paulou's initial comment was terse and brusque. It has sharp edges to it, you know? And while I agree with why Paulou didn't like avatar's post, I don't think the tone of the response was that wise. I've spent the past 7 months trying to have discussions with people (close friends and strangers) about important issues and problems, and fuck, even with a kid-gloves approach, people get fucking defensive when you call them out in any way whatsoever. And it's even worse when it comes as an attack. There's a better way to confront people about stuff.

Though, of course, this is further complicated by the fact that the whole "hey, let's have a discussion" thing. If you're too far along the "everyone's entitled to their opinions" thing, it often just ends up with people "agreeing to disagree" and continuing with less-than-non-shitty behaviour.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Not to play admin here. But if you guys wanna keep this line going, probably best to move it to a new thread. This one's been hijacked and sidetracked enough.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-03-07 23:36:30)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Herc, can I pay you to follow me around the Internet and clean up after me?

Thumbs up Thumbs down