Topic: Announcement: Goodnight, Goodnight!

Hey folks.

So, go listen to the announcement, then come back here to discuss. I'll be back in a bit — gonna go ride my bike for a while.

http://www.friendsinyourhead.com/images/goodnight-goodnight.jpg

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Announcement: Goodnight, Goodnight!

What?!?!

EDIT: Okay, now that I've listened to more than just the opening of the episode, I'll put my thoughts in here. This show reinvigorated my love for movies and brought me back in to the world of filmmaking. I went through three years of studying film at university, but my best teacher has always been this show. Seriously guys, not only has listening to this show been incredibly fun, it's been one of the most educational and informative things that has been part of my life. I co-wrote a feature length movie, something I never would have even thought I could do if it wasn't for this podcast. It has truly been an honour to listen to you bunch of awesomely talented and creative guys.

And this forum is something else entirely. I have never felt like part of a great community of individuals since back in the days of TFN Fanfilms. I lurked here for a long time before finally signing up and now I genuinely feel like part of the tribe. We've done some great stuff here together and I bloody well love each and every one of you.

Mischief motherfucking managed, indeed!

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2015-02-27 21:22:11)

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

holden

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

If that one meme is my legacy on the internet, I will be very content with it.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

But... but... but... you haven't done the Ghost Rider commentaries yet...

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This show is the reason I got off my ass and started trying to make movies.
The best film community on the internet, the best film podcast,.....man.

Losing DIF and Nimoy on the same day is rough. Shall be missed.

Edit: Teague - I personally want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating a community that fosters and encourages creativity and making things. I haven't seen anything like it online, and at a time when I wasn't happy with what I was doing with my life, it meant a lot. Things are great now, and I credit DIF with helping me get through the tough times.

Last edited by bullet3 (2015-02-27 21:34:38)

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

sad_tennant

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

It's sad, and I've gotten really used to hearing your voices, but of course, y'all owe us nothing. If you feel like not recording any more, don't record. Simple as that.
I'm glad there'll still be an archive of shows, and that the forum is staying open though.

Thanks for the thousand-or-so hours  smile

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Noooooooooooo. You won't be in my head anymore? At least we can all just say hi here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Godspeed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, damn. Now I feel bad for not hanging around more for the last couple of years.

I don't even really know how to react to this. If it's truly the end, it'll be the end of an era. This has honestly been one of my favorite podcasts since before it was even DIF and it was just those awesome occasional episodes of Geekza where I got to watch some of my favorite movies along with some cool and funny people on the other side of the world. You've helped me through some difficult times and kept me company on many, many hours of public transportation. I didn't always agree with you guys, but it's always been great.

That being said, I refuse to consider the podcast done until I get an episode for Back to the Future 2.

I'm obviously kidding. Sort of...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

You fellas had a good run. Good luck in all future endeavours  smile

*crawls back into cave*

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Wow.

I must say that I am taken aback, and more than a bit sad to see the end(-ish?) of what has absolutely been my favorite podcast ever since I stumbled upon it's existence somewhere in a reddit.com/r/movies thread and fired up an episode along side a file of The Chronicles of Riddick. To have randomly stumbled across an infotainment source composed of people I'd be right at home hanging out with, having the sorts of conversations I cherish any time I find myself lucky enough to be having one....has been really special.

Having had access to "four friends in my head" while traveling thousands of miles through the country, often through areas where I feel like a complete alien, having been able to contribute in small ways from time to time in the chat, has meant a lot.

DiF has been a bigger than is probably socially acceptable part of my life since the moment I found it.

Thank you to everyone who has sunk time, and money, and html code, and various other sorts of effort into this strange but remarkable project which week after week produced an informative, entertaining, engaging, challenging, and hilarious product which has most certainly affected many people in many positive ways which the creators could never have predicted and will probably never know anything about.

You glorious bastards accomplished something pretty great, and I can't wait to see what you get up to next.

In the mean time, Teague, I'm going to make good on my various threats to start my own DiF type podcast. But, I probably wont be calling it Poly-Glamorous...but who knows. Maybe I will.

Last edited by Jdubs (2015-02-27 22:01:55)

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

What to say.

Over the last five years, you guys have been more than my friends. You've been, in a very real sense, my family. Whenever I needed laughter, you were there. Something to distract me, you were there. Just something to listen to, or someone to "talk" to, you were there. Without a doubt, you were the biggest influence on my life from the ages of 14-18. You guys have taught me so much about being a storyteller, about being a critic, about just being a good person in general, and most of what I know about the movie industry I've learned from you. Teague and Mike and Brian and Trey and Eddie and Cloe and all the rest are some of the absolute smartest, wisest people I know, and are all role models, people I aspire to be like, as well as friends in my head.

You all have put in a titanic effort over the last six years. Not only have you entertained us all—you've brought a forum of completely awesome people together, you've raised thousands of dollars to save lives, you've taught a lot of people a bunch of things. You've made a real difference, and that's no small thing.

I'm still gonna continue to follow all of the hosts and the forum members in their various doings, and hang out around here, because all that's awesome. And we all have the immense backlog to listen to and share for years to come. But this is the end of an era. And I'll miss that era tremendously. Thank you so, so, so much, again, for all that you've done and will continue to do. We all, and the world in general, are a much better place for it.

Also, damn you Teague for putting that clip in at the end. I'm misty enough as it is. :-P

Last edited by Abbie (2015-02-27 23:10:35)

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Awww:(

Hey, I get it. I'll support whatever decision you guys make. Thanks for being cool and interesting people and for making cool and interesting content:)

Hansen wrote:

...That being said, I refuse to consider the podcast done until I get an episode for Back to the Future 2...

but.. but... October 21, 2015...

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Fuck. Didn't see that coming. I was still trying to figure out how you guys were going to top the Malariathon.

I guess you're not. Which is fine, we'll always have that.

I'd say best of luck in the future and all that, but this isn't exactly a goodbye, is it? You're all still here, you're just not making podcast episodes anymore. You'll still be on the forums, so yeah.

I'm personally honoured to have been a part of this community for the last 6 years, to have my name dropped in the Thor Commentary, and to have Teague and Mike come hang out with the Extended Edition more than once.

Hats off, and do your bloody worst, guys!

In closing; the lot of you are more than welcome to hang out again. Hell, we'll take all of you on at the same time to discuss the last 6 years with you, even if it takes 1000 hours to do so. You're probably not as willing, but you're the friends in our head forever.

(that invitation is 100% real, by the way, but we'll take you on for like 60 minutes or so, no hassle.)

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Damn it. Just damn it. I'm going to miss the commentaries, terribly. Lots of bad news today. Thank you for putting all the podcasts out there, it's been a pleasure listening to it. Thank you.

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/028/a/8/you_make_me_sad_by_youryaleness-d4nxu82.jpg

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

"all these moments will be lost like tears in rain..."
its fitting that the last podcast was blade runner.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

Over the last five years, you guys have been more than my friends. You've been, in a very real sense, my family. Whenever I needed laughter, you were there. Something to distract me, you were there. Just something to listen to, or someone to "talk" to, you were there. Without a doubt, you were the biggest influence on my life from the ages of 14-18. You guys have taught me so much about being a storyteller, about being a critic, about just being a good person in general, and most of what I know about the movie industry I've learned from you. Teague and Mike and Brian and Trey and Eddie and Cloe and all the rest are some of the absolute smartest, wisest people I know, and are all role models, people I aspire to be like, as well as friends in my head.

I'd like to second every single word of this.

There was a period of my life where I had every single episode of this podcast on my iPod. All of 'em. Because I liked knowing that, wherever I happened to be, I could listen to any episode I wanted to. I fell asleep listening to the show countless times. There's this complete chunk of my life which has DIF and WAYDM playing in the background throughout. I can say with certainty that without this show I wouldn't be the same person I am today. I wouldn't be pursuing the things that I'm pursuing, and I wouldn't have been as motivated to do so in the first place.

I'm in a very different stage of my life now. This show has a fraction of the direct impact on my daily life that it used to, but I can't deny that the things I do spend my time on wouldn't have happened without it. I'm a contributing editor at two film-related websites. Without this show, I bet I wouldn't have moved past my blog. I'm studying film in college. Without this show, I might very well be doing something else.

And, perhaps most importantly, I co-host my own series of podcasts now. My editor over at Movie Fail wasn't a big podcast guy when I first suggested the idea of talking about the Oscars two years ago. He went along with it, but that was the sole podcast we did for a full year. Last year, we did another Oscar podcast, and I posted it on Facebook. And Teague commented that we should do more. In the year since, we've started a Game of Thrones podcast, a Legend of Korra podcast, and many other random one-offs, and we've got Teague and DIF/WAYDM to thank.

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying that I'm so, SO grateful to all of you guys for everything you've given me. I hope I can return the favor someday. And I'm so glad that the forum will be sticking around, because I love this place so much.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +6 Thumbs down

Gentlemen, it's been an honour and absolute pleasure listening to you over these last few years. Thank you and good luck in all your future projects (which I hope you'll keep us updated on when you feel like it).

Great final words too Teague, thanks again.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

All credit goes to Faldor for voicing the idea behind this:

http://i.imgur.com/fAvzUm6.jpg

Last edited by Abbie (2015-02-27 23:34:16)

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

I wasn't going to get all weepy, but I see I'm not alone, so here goes...

I've been quietly hanging around this community and following its members since the TFN days. (Wow, that sounded creepy) Its influence on my life cannot be overstated.

I will spare you the details, but my journey into storytelling and animation began with finding RvD online. That led me to TFN and eventually to DIF, which became a large part of my storytelling and filmmaking education. Living thousands of miles from Hollywood, filmmaking was a huge mystery to me.

Of course, it went beyond the nuts and bolts. Your passion and energy for films, stories and creativity was (is) very contagious and inspiring.

And, on a more personal note, DIF also kept me company through some dark times when I didn't have other people around.

So, thank you Teague, Trey, Brian, Mike, Ryan and the rest of the crew. Thank you so much.

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

Gentlemen

I have to admit, the last batch of commentaries did seem a bit like wrapping things up. Finally doing all of Trey's recommendations. I have slowly dropped movie podcasts from my listening list, but DIF always stayed. Now I'm left with just How Did This Get Made. I'm also bombed that various web comics I enjoy have or will end as well.

And my sister is now unemployed for the first time in her life. Puts the minor stuff in perspective.

I'll be waiting for whatever you do next. As you have the equipment and experience, maybe consider renting it out to friends who want to put something online. And, of course, let Eddie do whatever he wants.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down