Topic: The Worst Idea of All Time

In a medium that is already oversaturated, do we really need another movie podcast? What about one that discusses the same movie every episode? What if they chose to discuss one of the most critically despised movies of the last decade?

Two comedians from New Zealand sat down and made a podcast in which they force themselves to watch the Adam Sandler cash grab, Grown Ups 2 every week for an entire year. After each viewing they record a <30 minute episode and discuss their feelings, conspiracy theories and deteriorating mental health brought on by each successive exposure.
The episodes range from venomous hate to the giddy appreciation of set dressings and extra work.

I'm about ten episodes into the show and I have to admit I'm hooked. The two have a great dynamic and are very entertaining even when discussing the same topic week after week. The longer it goes on the more I believe they are onto a seriously interesting social experiment.

Give it a listen if you're at the end of your podcast queue and you're looking for something new.

http://i.imgur.com/yjYE0ab.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Worst Idea of All Time

Kept meaning to get around to this. Finally did thanks to this post, cheers!

Have listened to 46 episodes (they're short) and their commentary, and it is a delightfully weird social experiment / character study / existential crisis. Also, frequently hilarious. Thumbs up.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

When more effort goes into the review than the movie...that requires commitment. You're obviously going to live 1000 years, so time ain't an issue.   big_smile

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've thought about doing an experiment like this, but instead with a movie I loved in my childhood. Hook was the one I had in mind. I always loved that movie, and I still love it today. It would give me a chance to get to know the movie on a level I never have. I feel like Hook is a good candidate because it's a move that...

a) I love
b) was critically hated
c) is incredibly dense in every area (e.g. story, set design, John Williams' greatest score - Yes, I said it!)

I wouldn't do a blog or a podcast or anything like that, but maybe just a forum post on my thoughts after watching it for a few months straight.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Worst idea of all time"? I wholeheartedly endorse this project on that basis alone.

zarban

Last edited by Zarban (2015-08-06 14:17:00)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Sam F wrote:

I've thought about doing an experiment like this, but instead with a movie I loved in my childhood. Hook was the one I had in mind. I always loved that movie, and I still love it today. It would give me a chance to get to know the movie on a level I never have. I feel like Hook is a good candidate because it's a move that...

a) I love
b) was critically hated
c) is incredibly dense in every area (e.g. story, set design, John Williams' greatest score - Yes, I said it!)

I wouldn't do a blog or a podcast or anything like that, but maybe just a forum post on my thoughts after watching it for a few months straight.

Oh please feel free to do so. I have the exact same stance as you on Hook (except maybe it being John William's greatest soundtrack - I couldn't possibly pick a favourite amongst all the masterpieces he's created).

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down