Topic: Starcraft II

Man, I love digital distribution.

Anyone else playing this? It's pretty awesome, and the system requirements aren't all that difficult. I'd love to get some co-op up in here.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Starcraft II

I will have it Friday. Or tomorrow. I played the SHIT out of the beta. I will let you know upon purchase.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If I went back and added it up, I'd probably find that I've lost years of my life to playing Starcraft. Even more to Diablo II.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Almost failed out of HS for SC and Diablo 2. More SC though I love me some Diablo. Diablo 3/SC 2 are about to one-two-combo my life into hell.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

just got a free pass version from a buddy burning thought my 7 hours, got to say even thought i suck at it great game, sorry not art, but a wicked fun game.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Deamon wrote:

just got a free pass version from a buddy burning thought my 7 hours, got to say even thought i suck at it great game, sorry not art, but a wicked fun game.

I have no idea what you just said. I'm thinking I should attribute that to a lack of sleep on your part. Go get some rest, man.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My boy Phill Gonzalez is one of the artists on that game.  He designed most of the Terran buildings.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SIXTY BUCKS!?

I'm not a cheap bastard, by nature. I own an iPad for cryin' out loud. But before I push-the-button-Frank, would somebody chime in and briefly explain to me how this is worth it? Assume the game's awesome and I'm going to love it; just how many hours of fun can I reasonably expect to get out of it?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeff, what planet did you grow up on exactly? 60 bucks is about the average, note AVERAGE, price you can expect to be paying for new games these days. I'm surprised it's only 60 bucks, with the hype around it they could have gone much higher.

No I haven't bought it and probably won't, this is part because I'm a broke as all shit student and I'm not really a game guy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I grew up on a planet where I don't really play video games all that much, so I'm probably out of touch with the going rates. The last one I bought was Torchlight, via Steam, where I paid ten bucks. Well, also an iPad app that cost me $3, but that's hardly the same thing.

I'm not saying sixty dollars for a game is highway robbery. I'm just saying that at that price I'd want more than an afternoon's fun for my money, is all. If it's gonna yield me ten hours of total play time or whatever, I'd rather buy four DVDs.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It does depend on what you're use to. I'm a very casual gamer, and usually wait for prices to drop. Any desire to pay full day one price disappeared when they finally released a Mac version of Steam and put games on sale for under $10 smile $35 is probably the max I'd pay for a game, and then it has to be something like The Sims or Civilization where I know I'll get years of playing out of it...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still sit here in awe and wonder of the people who play video games.

Sixty bucks sounds ridiculous to me. Not high; fucking ridiculous. I'd pay ten dollars for a game, probably not fifteen. I'm not sure how they justify prices at or north of fifty bucks.

I could see it for something like Guitar Hero, where you have to get a peripheral controller, but for a disc that you pop in and shoot things with, sixty bucks is insanity.

I'm sure a lot of the price comes from work spent so it looks "amazing" on HD monitors (not sure why this is a priority) and from the cinematics games are stuffed with, at even higher rez. Bigger worlds, etc.. Meanwhile, my happiest gaming comes from occasionally popping in Goldeneye 64 and fighting off a couple of my buddies in multiplayer mode.

Sum total of buying that experience tonight? Twenty bucks, for the console, controllers, and game.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But, Goldeneye probably cost $60 when it came out. Cart games justified the high cost because the extra memory chips did add an expense companies really had to pass on to consumers. I agree, older games are just as fun, but it's like shaking your head at those paying $30 for a new book when 100 year old ones are free online smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...isn't that a valid thing to do?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whelp, I decided what-the-heck, and shelled out the sixty bucks. Now a hideous Jim Raynor is staring out at me with dead eyes.

The game itself seems fun enough so far, but wow, these cinematic interludes are ugly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

Whelp, I decided what-the-heck, and shelled out the sixty bucks. Now a hideous Jim Raynor is staring out at me with dead eyes.

The game itself seems fun enough so far, but wow, these cinematic interludes are ugly.

Um…what settings are you running the game at? The in-engine cinematics looked pretty good to me.

And yeah, Starcraft II is a better game than Goldeneye, and cheaper at release. So, I don't see what the big deal is. Older stuff is cheaper, newer stuff is more expensive. You're gonna pay $20 for a DVD you watch a couple times, or you can pay $60 for a game you'll play for hours and hours. It's not like there's a subscription fee.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I guess it's just an alignment-of-incentives problem for me. I don't care enough about games to fathom spending more than ten bucks on one, is probably the real bit of it.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

...isn't that a valid thing to do?

It's valid for you yourself to say, "I can't afford new so will enjoy older cheap stuff". But you can't find fault with those willing to pay the creators of new content. After all, if people had done the same thing back then you wouldn't have those 100 year old novels that are now free, and if Goldeneye hadn't of sold tons of copies at (say) $60 that used one you bought wouldn't have been so cheap now.

Personally, I enjoy giving creators my money, buying books of web comics I can read for free or buying a CD of an opening act I've never heard of at a concert knowing they'll get most of the cash.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The defaults for my laptop, which I think are "medium" all the way across the board. The opening cinematic was very nice — if ironmanny, but didn't I see it circulating on the Web before Iron Man was released? — but the scenes with Raynor in the bar are really bad CG. Maybe it's all real-time rendered or something, which raises the question of my-god-why. Quantity over quality or something? I'd skip them, if I weren't such a whore for plot.

And as for it being a better game than Goldeneye, I can't say yet. I spent sooooo much time at my best friend's house after his divorce playing Goldeneye with him, or just keeping him company while he played. Video-game therapy is what that was. I mean, it's fun so far (after the first two missions), but for me it's too early to say.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid: My point being, old books and old games have something in common, in that they're cheaper now and not necessarily *any* less enjoyable than they were or compared to modern works.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For me, it boils down to the simplistic and undefinable notion of "worth it." To pick a topic that's come up on the forum recently, I think I paid $20 or so for my DVD of The Fountain. Maybe it was even less, like $15 or whatever; I honestly don't remember. But my hand to god, I would have paid a hundred. Maybe even two hundred. I love the movie just that much.

Yes, I dropped sixty bucks on this game, and I might end up regretting it somewhat. Like you, Teague, I'm just not a video-game guy for the most part. I can probably count on both hands the total number of video games I've ever played in my entire life. But so far I've heard nothing but good things about this one, and it's a very lazy weekend, and sixty bucks really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, so … well, here we are.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I'm not surprised games cost that much, people keep paying it. I'm just saying it's not likely to facilitate some incentive for me to ever play one.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very true, but I was responding to your comment regarding shaking your head at those willing to pay for new things: "...isn't that a valid thing to do?"

I say, no smile The old and cheap is here because people paid for it when it was new and expensive. But, now that I think of it, you're young enough that this stuff in fact is "new" and cheap where as us older farts already enjoyed those old games and want something fresh much of the time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know my whole point is that I'm happy with the old game I've played off and on for over ten years, right?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know SC1 is Korea's national sport, right? So the understatement "people still play the old ones" is exactly that, an understatement. Also, every "game" is 60$ now pretty much.

Thumbs up Thumbs down