Topic: Some random-ish holograph test thingo.

I guess the description on youtube explains it, but I'll explain it more in detail here, I suppose.

Made in After Effects, using trapcode form. The point was to make a holographic-ish test shot, inspired by Linkin Parks' "Waiting for the end" video, and mixing it up with some matrix-esque style. I'm also working on getting it done in matrix-code, but I'm not reading any tutorials for it, so it's taking some time to get right tongue

I made two versions. The first one is Form alone, and the second one uses a glow and some vertical noise to further degrade the effect. The latter version also has a more interesting ending.

Let me know what you think.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Some random-ish holograph test thingo.

I dig it.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think i like the first one better, kind of a reverse-deatomization thing happening.

But what horrible thing is being done to your balls to cause that pain? smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

oh, you'd like to know, wouldn't you? tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Actually, there's something about the wobbling that screams "1980s!" to me, and that spoils the overall effect. I think it's because there's a depth to a face that's being undermined by those wobbles, which draw attention to the fundamental planarity of the image in a way that none of the rest of the effects do, if you see what I mean.

I do, to a certain point. If there's one thing I'm not particularly happy about, it's the second wobble. Mainly because compared to the first one, it's the one that actually wobbles, instead of just distorts.

However, that being said, you could easily stick a better camera in that scene and get the depth feel of it much better. Sure, I'll have to properly set a depth matte for it to be CORRECT, but there's definitely depth to it, and the wobbles look kind of like they're distorted magnetic fields. Or something like that tongue

I added them for instability and depth, but if you think it'd be better without, I'll see what I can come up with for making them a bit more subtle.

Thumbs up Thumbs down