Topic: Movies that don't cover up their editing well

Probably not the best title, but let me explain.

There's a thread in a USENET group about the Michael Mann film THE KEEP. I had the book it was adapted from as a kid, given to me as part of the truckload my older cousin passed on to me over the years. The film itself has kind of vanished, not having a DVD release. Anyway, someone mentioned having recently seen a copy and that you could clearly see where it had been cut down by the studio from Mann's 3 hour cut. In other words, instead of one scene flowing into the next it's obvious exactly where parts were ripped out even if you went in not knowing such a thing had happened.

I'm curious about other examples where you've noticed this, where either the editor didn't bother/have time to repair this kind of thing before the release date or they just did a bad job. I can think of two examples, although the second is very obscure smile In the animated version of THE HOBBIT, the jump into Bilbo waking up in the spider web has always seemed very abrupt. The audio seems to assume we're entering it from a different scene then the one we just saw, making me think a scene was dropped due to time/budget but they never re-recorded the audio. The other is a butchered dub of the anime Farewell to Yamato. Now, bad edited anime dubs are nothing new, but this one is damned curious. For one thing, it's unclear when it was made or who did it. What interested me though was that the dub was clearly done before they cut 30+ minutes out. Characters will say they're leaving to do something, then we skip to a later scene leaving the viewer hanging. Change one line of dialog and no new viewer would ever notice something was missing, but no, that would have required work...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Movies that don't cover up their editing well

The Theatrical cut of Once Upon a Time in America has pretty bad hackery.  That one was infamous for the film being locked, and then the studio had the Assistant Editor for Police Academy 2 go in and cut time out.

Watching the 743 versions of Blade Runner you can get a real sense of just how much things had been shifted around.  And there's a schlocky 60's film called, "The Girl With the Gold Boots,"
(no, NOT a Lisbeth Salander prequel) that was featured on an MST3K collection I own.  It's a wide shot of two people sitting at a coffee table eating breakfast conversing when their friend, no shit, jump cuts into existence.  Servo responds with a hilarously appropriate, "I'M HERE!!!" but really, it needs no added joke.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

about 20 seconds in.

Last edited by Eddie (2011-06-09 23:28:25)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

haha, wow. I've never seen that episode. I'll have to see if it's on google video or netflix.

I was gonna mention Blade Runner as well. The scene with the snake salesman was clumsy in the older edits, but the latest cut makes that scene work a lot better. And speaking of anime, Warriors of the Wind is a pretty well butchered version of Nausicaa, but even the full cut of the movie feels like they ran out of time or money and couldn't finish some stuff.

There are a lot of movies that just feel like the editor cut out any sort of pauses in the dialogue and action. As soon as someone stops talking they'll cut to the next scene, or they'll do it the instant an action sequence ends. Eragon was like that. A lot of bad action movies are like that, really. Not really cutting things out, but cutting things way too close together.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Diamonds are Forever, the famous stunt involving a car that goes into an alley sideways features a hilarious cut to the interior twisting around to try to hide the fact that the car comes out of the alley wrong-side up.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

In Blues Brothers 2000, the new brothers slip into the county fair by repainting their car and disguising themselves. Then in the next scene, they've somehow gotten into the flaming loop-the-loop car in their black suits. The film makers seem to have edited out a gag as to how they changed vehicles.

The weird thing is, if they had just edited out the disguise part, they could have gone all the way from "How are we gonna get past the cops?" to entering in the flaming loop-the-loop car.

Also, I hear that in 2010: Moby Dick, there's a dude trying and trying to catch up to Ahab's submarine, then all of a sudden, he's on the sub. No explanation.

Man, *snort* I hope somebody got fired for that one.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I'm not a fan of some of the editing in DePalma's "Carrie". It's sometimes abrupt, choppy and downright unnecessary. Early in the picture, while a Teacher is talking to the Principal about Carrie, we cut to a shot of Carrie sitting outside the office, and then quickly cut back to the interior. It feels like a mistake to me, or maybe done to cover up a problem in the scene. Later, Carrie's mother declares, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" and then BOOM, we slam cut to the next scene! It takes me out of the movie every time and I'm left wondering why they didn't just do a nice dissolve?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm often surprised at editing mistakes, from putting characters in suspended animation for a few minutes in a multi-thread story (Transformers climax), repeating a motion across shots (ROTK has a bit where the same rider starts his move in 3 shots!), head 'bobbing' on reverse shots that are out of sync with the audio (FOTR and others), or coming into the shot too early (Saving Private Ryan has an awful moment in its climax when a german gun opens up on some sfx dummies atop a tank).

There are some scenes in 13th Warrior which seem abrupt or truncated, a subplot about the King's son evaporates into thin air the moment the monsters turn up; so happens there's a much longer cut out there. The theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven also feels like it's missing parts.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's a bad edit in Poltergeist that isn't even covered up. When Diane is explaining to a freaked out Steven how it feels to be dragged across the kitchen floor, the camera focuses on his reaction to what she is saying. It then suddenly cuts to them outside their neighbours house and we catch her mid-word. It is quite jarring and noticeable since we go from her speaking inside directly to her finishing a different sentence outside. When I saw it on tv years ago, I thought bad language was cut from it. It is the same on the Blu Ray version I own.

I looked for a clip online but found this explanation of it that is worded better than my feeble attempt- http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s20jc4polter.html

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I just got back from a screening of Superman 2: The Donner Cut, which is the first time I'd ever seen it. And for the most part, storytelling wise, it's far superior to the theatrical version. But there's one bit towards the end that jumped out at me as really awkward ending.

After Superman has defeated Zod et. al. in the Fortress of Solitude, Lex Luthor instantly starts sniveling and brown nosing towards Superman. It literally cuts away from him mid sentence as he says: "I have a proposal for you - "

More baffling is the fact that the scene we cut to is Superman and Lois on the ice with the Fortress of Solitude on the horizon. Superman turns around and burns the place down with his heat vision. Lex Luthor is not with them. They are in the Arctic middle of nowhere. Where the hell did he go?

But, still, I'll take that over the cellophane "S" any day of the week.

I wanted to like the Donner cut, but I just couldn't get past the use of screentest footage. I know why it's there, I get that it wasn't a choice anyone wanted to make, but I just got hung up on it anyway.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not really bad editing but as a kid I was always bothered in Star Wars in the cantina when Han points out the stormtroopers and suggest Obi-Wan and Luke leave.

It cuts to Han saying "Wow these guys must really be desperate" because you don't seem them leave the bar I thought that was a really rude thing to say whilst they hid under the table!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog