Topic: Dubious musical taste.

Sharing things I think you might like.

Patrick Wolf. Hard times.
These New Puritans. Attack music.
Einstürzende Neubauten. Sabrina.
Prick. Animal.
Have A Nice Life. Bloodhail.

Re: Dubious musical taste.

Sabrina is an awesome tune, though I'm partial to German experimentalism. Fun fact, kids. Einstürzende Neubauten often leave the stages they perform on damaged. I guess beating on railings and dragging metal bins about has that sort of effect.

Where Geek Meets Goth

That Have a Nice Life song was pretty great.

I have that prick album. I bought it when it first came out back in '94 or '93 or so. The only reason I heard about them was because that song was in the film Showgirls, which I snuck in to see when it came out. I was 14 or 15 at the time and that movie was NC-17. I was quite disappointed that there wasn't more nudity and sex, but that song was cool. The album was kinda insane, tho. Here's another track off that album that is more representative of the album as a whole:

Prick - Communiqué

It's an interesting album to say the least. I like interesting music, tho, but sometimes I just listen to stuff that's easy to listen to.

The Damage Manual - Damage Addict
Katatonia - Sulfur
Arwen - Riding Alone
The Dear Hunter - Mustard Gas
To/Die/For - Fragmented

Yeah, I'm kinda into cheesy music. I like cheesy movies and games, too, so I guess I'm just naturally drawn to this sort of shit. It's fun, tho.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

YAY OBSCURE MUSIC CONVERSATIONS

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

...I like cheesy movies and games, too

hmm? games too?
have you ever heard of Deadly Premonition?
Its a game where every single aspect of it is flawed, but on purpose.

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

YAY OBSCURE MUSIC CONVERSATIONS

They're big in sweden.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/Squiggly_P/Squiggly_Avatar_hip.png

I've heard of Deadly Premonition, but never played it. I've heard good things, tho, and seen some videos of people playing it and it looks pretty wacked out. If it's not on PC, tho, I can't play it. I sold my 360 because it killed my soul. GTA4 was one of the worst things I've ever played. I could do a Plinkettesque two hour video about all the different ways that game was wrong and terrible.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2011-09-15 21:26:14)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/Squiggly_P/Squiggly_Avatar_hip.png

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I have that prick album. I bought it when it first came out back in '94 or '93 or so

I picked it up around the same time, they used to play Animal in one of the goth / industrial clubs I would go to when under age.

Have a nice life are self published, the production values are low, but damn it if I don't love me some gloom. The album is like $5 too, bargain.
Parkway Drive - Karma. Lot harder but they're good live and it's always nice to support Aussies. They do the surfing in the video too.
Jonathan Boulet - You're a animal. I'm not a fan of much of his other stuff (lacks testosterone) but this track isn't so bad for something poppy. He's Australian too, so ya know.

Ok, Katatonia are pretty great.

Pop Will Eat Itself - Dos Dedos Mis Amigos. Political themed early industrial from the UK is pretty hard to pass up.
ohGr - luSId. ohGr is a Skinny Puppy side project, tends to be a little more palatable for newer audiences.
Nightwish - Bye Bye Beautiful. HOORAY FOR FINLAND!

Last edited by Dave (2011-09-15 22:52:03)

MOAR!!!
Haha, I haven't heard PWEI since the 90's. Talk about nostalgia, between that and prick you've summed up a lot of my 90's listening. Throw in some KMFDM, Portishead, Megadeth's "Youthenasia" album and Metallica's pre-"black album" stuff and you've pretty much pegged my listening habits for a solid few years.

Amberian Dawn - River of Tuoni: Melodic, operatic speed metal.
Opeth - Deliverance: The band by which I judge every other death metal / extreme metal band.
Numb - Desire: The sort of music you'd hear in a Blade movie club scene.

And if I might go off track a bit, there's a little band out of Sacramento called "Roman Funerals" that's not at all a doomy/gloomy sort of band, but an acoustic act. Here they are playing a gig in a park. I mention them because the two brothers who front the band are pretty much musical geniuses, but they've not caught a break. They were in a previous band called "Bright Light Fever" which started out as a pretty typical highschool rock kind of band with songs like this, but their second album was so god damn good that I couldn't believe they didn't make it. The live videos don't do them justice, but you can preview the songs on Amazon. The band eventually folded up, but these two have started this new band and are working on their first full length album. I want them to make a lot of money and be famous and make music for me forever, so check them out, subscribe to them, buy their shit, go see them live if you live there and throw money at them because they are awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm really into Coldplay.

You probably haven't heard of them.

I was into coldplay back when they were known as lukewarmplay.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Opeth are pretty nifty.

If you like Numb you'll probably enjoy the following:
Suicide Commando - Bind Torture Kill
Front Line Assembly - Social Enemy

Lordi - Hardrock Hallelujah. Silly costume metal, basically Finland fucking over Eurovision (and I have a massive crush on the girl in the film clip).

@Brian Finifter, you may like:
Lior - This Old Love.

You might also like
Blackfield - Blackfield
and if you do, then you'll probably also like
Porcupine Tree - Trains

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Changing pace, there's not enough love for good old grime.

The Mitchell Brothers - Routine Check.
P Money - Banging Bars.
Lethal Bizzle - Police On My Back.
Lady Sovereign - Random. It's like Chav grime yeah?
Dizzee Rascal - I Love You. Before he jumped the shark and started poncing around with crackers wearing lamé, Dizzee was something special.

Squiggly_P wrote:

I want them to make a lot of money and be famous and make music for me forever, so check them out, subscribe to them, buy their shit, go see them live if you live there and throw money at them because they are awesome.

In a similar vein;

The Books - Beautiful People.
The Books - Take Time.

I'd really like these kids to make pots of money and do more of exactly what they're doing.

Wow, that was a shift. I don't have much of any rap in my collection aside from a couple odd tunes. How's about some lo-fi chip-tune type stuff?
Tobiah - I exist therefore I sing
lukHash - Tonight

or maybe some nerdcore rap?
y.t. cracker - The Link

hah, I just bumped into The Books the other day thanks to a link on Metafilter. Good stuff. Never know what to expect. I'll probably grab some of their stuff when I get the chance (read when I get paid next).

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2011-09-16 01:39:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Wow, that was a shift. I don't have much of any rap in my collection aside from a couple odd tunes. How's about some lo-fi chip-tune type stuff?
lukHash - Tonight

YES!

J-Pop?
Utada Hikaru - Final Distance

J-Pop-Punk?
Ellegarden - Supernova.

J-Punk?
Snail Ramp - B.M.W.

I still love Dizzee Rascal, seen him live twice.  I think Fix Up, Look Sharp is the best track off that first album, but I dig the hell out of most of Maths and English.  Lady SOV was great for a minute, but hasn't lived up to her potential.

I'll throw in:
Amanda Blank - Something Bigger, Something Better
Bat For Lashes - Moon and Moon (or Horse and I off her first album)
TV on the Radio - all their albums are good, but Return to Cookie Mountain is a good place to start.
Tricky -Pre Millenium Tension remains a favorite.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

True Love by ThouShaltNot, perhaps the most eclectic band in the current gothic and dark wave scene. True Love is their foray into dark cabaret complete with swelling vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LKcjsRkgs0

Where Geek Meets Goth

Enter Shikari

Life is to short to not have folk/viking metal crossover.

Dave wrote:

Life is to short to not have folk/viking metal crossover.

/presses play/

Awesome, always love strings and metal.

/guy starts singing/

http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/da/da0dcd67_rainbow-vomit.jpg

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy