Topic: Suggest an Intermission!

Just give us a million things. What do you want to hear us talk about? Crazy stuff you're curious about? Stories? Elaborations of points made on DIF? Interview questions? What, what, what?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Suggest an Intermission!

• Moving from After Effects to Nuke. Is it comparable as a one-stop post shop? What workflow changes do you need to account for?

• With final cut effectively EOL, what to cut on for a similar budget?

• Scarlet. On again/off again/on again. Alternate contenders?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dicks.

Let's see 'em.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FixedR6 wrote:
  • Scarlet. On again/off again/on again. Alternate contenders?

*Scarlett. You know where I'm going with this.

(Also, goddamn moderation powers. I hit edit instead of quote and it didn't realize it until after I had mutilated his post.)

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Editing (the good, the bad....yadda yadda..the facts of editing).
Film scores - what works, what doesn't
Stoked (the life and times of Trey)
A Spontaneous Movie Pitch
Why Books>Movies are so fucking difficult to do right
A Day on the Set (logistics, random stories, best craft service table..etc)
TV vs. Movies (constraints, benefits, budgets...)
Do offscreen actions play a role in  how you view actors/directors previous work  (like Mel Gibson and looking back on the Lethal Weapon series)
Dorkman Fixes it (terrible ideas/movies - he has 30 minutes to make it watchable)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some great suggestions. Shit yeah it's coo.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I second the "Film Scores" idea. What are some examples of great/terrible ones, what makes a great score, etc.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How about a primer on special effects terms, lingo, and concepts?

(I'm always trying to explain resolution and aliasing to people who aren't into computer graphics.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

add to the whole editing discussion, the role of psychology in crafting the story during editing.  Basically, a general idea of the process an editor goes through in choosing which shots to put together to create a certain effect in an audience.  Whether that effect is emotional or what not.  Make sense?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I second the "Film Scores" idea. What are some examples of great/terrible ones, what makes a great score, etc.

And I third it. I'm a huge film score fan.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Film scores-right up Teague's alley.

I also like the idea of the life of Trey. Get him going on a rant on how things have changed and you will have your 30 mins and more besides. smile

A topic in the same vein is "Changes in Movie Making" talking about film vs. Digital, set pieces and green screens and the like.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A panel topic that is always fun at conventions is, "How Not to Get Published", all the things you should do to make sure your manuscript never makes it out of the slush pile (the joke being the authors giving the talk don't want competition). You guys could do similar episodes: how not to get cast in anything, how not to get funding, etc.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That could be the sequel to "How We Make Movies". "How You Should NOT Make Movies". Just take all the points left out of that episode and turn them into negatives.

Also, maybe "Worst Pitch for a Great Movie". What are some movies that have awful premises but are actually great?

"A musical based on an off-Broadway production based on a decades-old, awful Roger Corman film that involves a giant singing plant and a hero who commits multiple murders? Get the hell out of my office!"

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2011-10-16 02:27:40)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After "The Classics" episode I'd really like to hear an episode of everybody reporting back after seeing the one classic they mentioned they hadn't gotten around to in the previous episode.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Television. An all encompassing discussion including television budgets, network vs. cable, favorite shows, the development and production differences and similarities between shows and films; all of that shit and maybe even more. I've heard DiF talk about movies for hours upon hours and while that rules, I would love for the gang to weigh in on television for a solid half-hour.

I hope you guys actually do the Terra Nova "special" you talked about today. I'd love to hear you fix that show.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

on the Raiders commentary Dorkman says about how Indy being captured at the end wouldn't happen in a modern film. I'd be interested in a discussion on how film pacing has changed over different decades

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

C-Spin wrote:

I hope you guys actually do the Terra Nova "special" you talked about today. I'd love to hear you fix that show.

Heh, a good friend of mine, is a writer on that show I've heard some stuff from the trenches.  It's....interesting.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For the record, some of us did our semi regular "Help me make this make sense," story sessions last night.  Afterwards we got into a discussion of interviews gone bad.  Much laughing occurred.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trench stories are among my favorite aspects of film making. I have gone from more enjoying films as entertainment and enjoying the process of how films are made, which is one of the reasons I like DiF.

Another suggestion I have is fight choreography process with Eddy, Brian, Ryan, Dorkman, in particular, though Trey's offhand comments on the appropriate place of fighting in movies are always welcome big_smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It just occurred to me, we should spend an episode trying to pitch together Avatar 2.

Every time they try to do a trilogy, it sucks, and we all say they should have known, and we sit here and Monday morning quarterback together how it should have been. Let's play Friday night quarterback and try to call it.

If he does something exactly like that and it sucks, well, look how much we suck, too. If he does that and it rules, so rule do we. If it does something different and it sucks, JACKPOT.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

If you do end up doing that, will you stick to the information that Cameron's given out already (it takes place in the ocean, there are other planets, etc.)?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Maybe the wrong place, but if you're going to let ??? bring in his copy of Terra Nova ep1 and give him the control of the remote and then proceed with a "omg how could they get this soooo wrong" sesh then methinks that would be kinda cool. - though would it fit in the Intermission 30mins ?

Maybe you could carry on the idea with others in the team (who's names I'm sure I'll remember one day) bringing in their own choices of tv-progs (though this being DownInFront are you solely concerned with movies, tv-progs being a whole different "ball-game" with their writing / filming etcs and thus not in your remit?)

Jason doesn't teleport.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That sounds like something more suited for the first DIF of a TV episode. I have to assume Terra Nova will get a quick DVD release over the summer.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They wouldn't even have to wait that long. It should be available on iTunes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down