Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Strange Days

Oh, good, I'm still awake. Downloading now smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Love this film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Havn't listened yet. Did you catch the "Right here! Right now!" bit?

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Strangely, I saw this film first BECAUSE of down in front, back in the days when the ‘great movie trailers’ thread was running. It was a great trailer, but a better film. Can’t wait to hear the commentary.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Glad someone mentioned the trailer.  I was working in a theater when this came out, and I remember seeing the teaser thinking I'd have to see that movie.

Bloody hell, I love this movie! I think it still holds up as not only entertaining but relevant after all these years.

I usually listen to the DIF audio without the movie but for this one I'm totally going to watch along with the movie.

As mentioned, here's a video of me on the crazy handlebar-less Segway. I use it as a dolly halfway into the video, it really is a good tool for that kind of thing.

http://www.twitvid.com/NZYR6

And here's the concert shot Ryan was talking about, where the guy is fucking racing past the audience on a Segway and leaps off at full speed and runs onstage. It really is worth watching, very fucking cool.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/01/21/ama … sprinting/

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One critical aspect of the film which the commentary doesn't touch on was the soundtrack. This was at the height of the Industrial metal scene; The Downward Spiral had just been released, Marilyn Manson was new and shiny, and Tricky was really starting to fuck with our heads. A lot of the stylistic choices and themes felt like they'd been influenced by the music of the period.

Also, this film really felt like the precursor to Cameron's Dark Angel series in 2000.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love how between me, Fixed, and to an even further degree InsideOutcast, we've got some honest to goodness "never ride in a car with that person" types up in here.

I will give you a headache with my '90s industrial. My god.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Do you, err, Einstürzende Neubauten?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Do you, err, Hau Ruck?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

People really hate going to parties with us, right?

Do you, err, Krieg?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Isn't industrial music what they call it when, after thirty years, the clanging noises in the factory where you work start to sound like beautiful music, and then you get distracted and a giant metal beam falls on you?

/ending this right now

Aaaaaaanyway...Strange Days is a movie that I'm actually torn on a little. I mean, it's pretty "good", but I don't think that it's "worth watching". Honestly, there is too much story for even a movie of this length to hold. Awesome camera stuff aside, I feel like this would have worked a lot better as a book, where we would have been able to spend a little more time with the characters and the world, and a little less time with the (quite frankly, uninteresting) "mystery" aspect. I guess that, because I wasn't all that invested in the characters, I didn't care too much about what had happened to them, what was going to, or why.

In fact, in a lot of ways, Strange Days feels as though it was adapted from a very long novel, and that a lot of stuff was cut out in order to serve the plot at its most simple levels. I'd like to read this imaginary "book", and see if it works any better than the movie.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. I think you're thinking of Art of Noise, Sonny Jim.

2. You know, good point. I could totally see that.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mmm, Anne Dudley.

Apollo 13! Apollo 13 APOLLO 13! GodDAMMIT, Teague!