Re: Do we REALLY want classic movies on Blu Ray?

So I guess the question is, have you ever watched a bluray or HD-DVD, perhaps at a friend's house?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kyle wrote:

Not really.

You ever know one of those obsessive audiophiles?  Hell, given the community here some of you might BE obsessive audiophiles, the types that agonize over which cables to buy and debate the qualities of several thousand dollar sound systems, insisting on only the purest sound quality for everything from home entertainment to portable headphones, and insist that MP3 is a horrible format for music because it ruins the original studio sound quality?

Someone should take all those people to the world's best recording studios and show them the cabling and computers that were used to record and produce all the stuff they're trying to find infinite analogue detail in. At least some of them might be cured, for a while.

Kyle wrote:

Granted, I don't have a 72" TV and if I did, maybe I'd be more willing to invest in a blu-ray player and some discs to feed it, but that goes against my sensibilities too.  Hell, my house finally got a 42" flat screen (the first of its breed in our abode) this year because a relative wound up in a nursing home and didn't need it anymore.  Until then I made do with a 30something inch CRT (or whatever it's called in TV-speak) and never really saw a problem with it.

I am being forced to buy my first post-CRT TV for home, now that the tube on our lovely Loewe Aconda has finally failed. I'm quite convinced that none of these LCD/Plasma gadgets has anything like the richness or contrast of that old thing's pictures, despite the notional added detail, the baffling profusion of input formats and the promise of viewing angles wider than a sofa.

I'm waiting for a standard 4k format. Blu-ray feels like a stop-gap (and I have a lot of DVD's), while the quality is noticeably better I can't justify the costs involved for what is essentially an incremental upgrade.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I keep waiting for all this progress to finally get us to some kind of destination. I'm just going to wait to buy anything until then.

While I understand FixedR6's sentiment, I hadn't upgraded before now because my existing kit was good enough, and there was no compelling content unavailable to it.

However, waiting for consumer 4K is a bit like waiting for a 32-core processor before you buy a new computer: why do you think the improvement treadmill will plateau for long enough there to make it worth the money, when what you can buy now isn't?

Now that we've decoupled TV set resolutions from broadcast TV standards, I don't think there will ever again be an obvious good time to upgrade. I'm doing it because of equipment failure, and because my general purchasing philosophy is "buy the best you can afford, and drive it into the ground." So I expect to do the same with our next set, and don't expect it to be obviously outclassed by 3D, 4K or 5-sense-o-rama.

(Well, maybe that last one...)

Last edited by fcw (2011-10-19 21:20:49)

The difference is the content is largely produced in 4k already. It's a logical upgrade path from DVD.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

So I guess the question is, have you ever watched a bluray or HD-DVD, perhaps at a friend's house?

Well, I worked at both Circuit City and Best Buy in my day, so I've walked past a lot of displays showing off the power of high definition input.  If I remember correctly I watched Tropic Thunder on Blu-Ray at a buddy's house.

My point isn't that the format doesn't look better, because it clearly does, just that as much as I enjoy movies, I don't really care about picture or audio quality enough to purchase a new player and repurchase all my favorite movies just to see them a little more sharply.

It should be noted that I've only owned one MP3 player in my life and I've never actually hooked it into my car or gone outside with it, so I might just be adverse to format change in general.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think my main argument is that Blu-Ray tends to(at least where I come from) add bonus features, in addition to the great AV quality. I'm a sucker for bonus features. I mean, at least the good ones. 'Max Payne', for instance, is not only the worst film of all time, the bonus features elegantly match it.

As far as VHS goes, I still have the SW trilogy on VHS, and although it's been a few years now(read: many), I still remember them as awesome. However, seeing as tapes tend to degrade over time, I'd like to keep them as a memory, and move on. I've the theatrical editions on DVD, and to be frank, the quality on those is sub par as well, so I'm good.

Another thing is now that I own a blu-ray player and a HDTV, I don't WANT to purchase DVD's anymore. Some times the up-scaling is horrific and makes me want to puke, but Blu-ray in general looks crisp, no matter how old the film is.

Thumbs up Thumbs down