Re: THE LORD OF THE RINGS

I actually *do* have a problem with the color grading in LOTR; watching the BTS's, I often find myself thinking the "before" is much better than "after" (especially when they turn stuff stupid-blue). And yes, I have the same issue as Teague with the "bloomy" stuff, coz it *literally* is a copy of the layer, blurred, and screened on top (they even say this in some docu) and it looks just as cheap as that. It makes it look like a dream sequence, while it's not... like Frodo waking up in Rivendell... way too bloomy and defocused, made me think it was a dream.

Basically, it looks to me as if they had a new toy in the toybox and totally overdid it. It sohuld have been dialed back 20% in pretty much every case.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There are some shots in the ROTK that look so obviously graded it's a little grating; quite a few especially with lighting around the eyes. Along with the dodgy comp, it even makes me go eurgh.

So instead of a powerful reaction shot of Eowyn reacting to the fell beast swooping down upon her uncle, it's this awfully fake shot.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My heartiest congratulations to everyone involved; this is truly an epic achievement.

I was unable to be there in person, and was only in the chat briefly; I'm seriously tempted to just wait for all three episodes to be released so I can experience a taste of what it must have been like.

I won't, but I'm tempted.

Thought about doing the same thing, Matt, but it just wouldn't be the same, I guess.

That, or we European people do our own LotR viewing with the commentaries. And balrog burgers. Oh yeah.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That was one crazy night!  We drove down to Dallas to see my baby niece when this was going down.  I caught the majority of it though.  The kid wanted to sleep most of the time anyways. smile  Cute kid too smile

This was great fun!  I hope everyone has recovered gracefully.  The good news is, if you do another marathon trilogy, the flicks won't be 13+ hours...

BRAVO!!
clap

Last edited by switch (2012-03-12 15:28:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ewing wrote:

1. Why doesn't the ring turn Sauron invisible like it does with everyone else who wears it?

The invisibility is an effect of being subjugated to Sauron's will and being transformed into a wraith in his service (hence it causes you to enter wraith-world). It's never stated explicitly in the film, but if the Ringwraiths did not wear their black cloaks they would be invisible, having been made permanent servants of Sauron and thus appearing only in wraith world.

Sauron being owner of the Ring, and it being his power infusing it, he is obviously not dominated by the Ring and therefore not forced wholly into wraith-world when he wears it.

That of course is the retconned answer. The real answer is that Tolkien's first notion was an invisibility ring and he was stuck with invisibility as a side effect of the Ring when its significance was further developed.

Ewing wrote:

2. Are the big badass creatures like the Watcher In The Water, the Balrog and Shelob one of a kind monsters or are they part of a larger species?

The Watcher, somewhat uncharacteristically for Tolkien, was never developed or explained. The Balrog is a Maiar spirit like Gandalf which chose to take the form of a demon rather than an old man. Shelob is "the last child of Ungoliant," who was an evil spirit in the form of a spider.

Ewing wrote:

If they are part of larger species, where the fuck are the rest of them during this story?

In the larger world outside the story. If you think what's seen in this story represents everything Middle-Earth has to offer, you could not possibly miss the point more.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Obviously, the story doesn't represent Middle-Earth as a whole, I just wanted to know if more existed elsewhere and if so, where. Thanks for the spot on answers though.

Fair enough. The less sharp answer -- sorry, still recovering -- is that each one is a unique case but probably does have enough background about what they are and if there are others to fill at least a chapter in a book (and probably does in Silmarillion).

Assuming they follow the book -- a pretty safe assumption -- you can expect to see Shelob's brood in THE HOBBIT.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A hearty thanks to everyone who participated in a very singular experience.  It was also nice meeting some forum folk like Paulou and Jeff for the first time, both of whom, along with Cloe Z, made outstanding sous chefs. 

I had such a blast and am deeply humbled by everyone's kind words.  Serious Business hat tips go to all who spoke but especially Trey and Mike.  Double special plus thanks to Mike and his roommates for letting me do my whirling dervish routine in their kitchen, I hope I didn't wreck it that much. 

The three F's, people.  Film Fighting, and Food, that's how you make a Doty.  Anytime I can combine two of those three with good friends, I am a happy man.  In ten years I'll probably do something similar with Grayson (and whatever siblings Rachel poops out between now and then) and when I do, I will tell epic tales of what his father participated in on this day.  Thanks again, DiF'ers.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can't thank you enough for the food. I really don't think we would have made it all the way through on pizza and donuts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

^^ That.

And whatever the hell was in those scrambled eggs, I've been pining for more of it ever since.

You will gives us the recipe, precioussss.  GIVES IT TO US.

It's not so much a recipe as a technique.  And I have no problem saying I got the technique from Gordon Ramsay.

Last edited by Eddie (2012-03-12 18:52:06)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you don't have Creme Fraiche available to you, sour cream works as well, but in a slightly less amount, otherwise the sourness can over power.  I'm not a huge chives fan, but as Gordo says, you can put pretty much whatever in there as you desire.  Protecting the egg is the key.

The Balrog Burgers were my own design and believe it or not, that was the first time I ever made those.  They came out pretty good, but I want to tweak a few more things next time around.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still really wish you guys had taken pictures of the food or showed it to the chat sad Those Balrog burgers sounded intense.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Gordon Ramsay is my god. When he gives you lemons, they come with a recipe for the most amazing lemonade.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Those burgers were, like … my god. You guys just don't know. I want them in my face.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

what's this, next to my name... Oh hello little ring!
big_smile

(thanks Teague [or Holden] smile )

Last edited by Snail (2012-03-13 01:32:16)

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

I covet your precious...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*hiss at Dave*
My precious....  mad

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Huh. Google Chrome doesn't display the rings next to the usernames.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can see your ring (snigger), and I'm using chrome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's really weird. It isn't my adblock or anything.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait, doctorsubmarine is from Farmington?  Holy carp, dude, I'm Cheshire.  Wicked cool!

As another aside, congrats to all, and thanks for the entertainment.  Kitchencam was amazing.  I just hope I could provide a little fun and relief and sugar rush to all you folk.  Can't wait to hear what I missed in the digital downloads!

Whoa! CT high-five!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Fair enough. The less sharp answer -- sorry, still recovering -- is that each one is a unique case but probably does have enough background about what they are and if there are others to fill at least a chapter in a book (and probably does in Silmarillion).

Assuming they follow the book -- a pretty safe assumption -- you can expect to see Shelob's brood in THE HOBBIT.

Thanks to Dorkman for providing all the wonderful background lore to LOTR. Unfortunately, I only got to see set up and the beginning part before running off to work.
You guys did a crazy amazing job and glad you all survived it smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down