Re: Suggest a movie!

Dude. I feel really old now. Thanks a bunch.

On the subject of drinking games, I'd vote for a film that's a little less likely to put people in hospital with alcohol poisoning.

EDIT: Trey, who beat me to the post button, is right.

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-05-19 19:51:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We could make it a safe drinking game. Like, a shot every time something does make sense.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm put in mind of … oh, god, which one was it. There was one commentary where it sounded like you, Teague, were really gonna be hurting in the morning. Princess Bride, maybe? I can't remember now.

Whichever it was, it was a fifty-fifty split between really funny and "wow, I hope he's okay."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Princess Bride, yeah. I have never been (and probably never will be again) that buzzed on a show. That episode I might have been full on drunk by the end.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It wasn't bad or anything, I don't think. I just hoped you had a ride home. And a big glass of water and a couple aspirin.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We record in my apartment, so. Safe place.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Always? I thought I remembered hearing you'd done roadshows.

Either way, drinking game yes, overdoing it no, live show yes, pictures of you and Brian and Dorkman gettin' it on hells yes.

Any other polls being taken at the moment? I'm feeling opinionated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kyle wrote:
DorkmanScott wrote:

Yeah, the Hitchhiker's movie was pretty awful.

Kyle, you know handful of the bits where the movie would show an entry from the Guide and it was weird and quirky and just the way things were phrased and constructed were hysterical? The books are like that the entire time.

That's what I've gathered.  Still though, I have to say I enjoyed the movie on its own merits.  It may not have been the best adaptation, but you throw the guy from the office, Sam Rockwell, Zoey Deschanel, Bill Nighy, Mos Def, and Alan Rickman in a film together and I'm probably going to have a great time.

And I loved the SPIRIT of the movie.  If that same "y'know, the universe is pretty ridiculous and probably way more ridiculous than we know" spirit is at the core of the books, then that was conveyed totally to me.

I really do need to get around to reading them, though.

If possible start with the original radio series. The characters in many cases were written for those actors, which is one problem with the movie (although not a factor in your enjoyment naturally!) The first two books are somewhat based on the first 12 radio episodes (Adams tended to re-write everything instead of just adapting it). Just before Adams passed away they started turning the other books into radio shows, but as with the movie it's just not the same. Also worth checking out is the 6 part TV series based on the first radio series, using much of the same cast.

Kyle wrote:
TrowaGP02a wrote:

Original King Kong anybody?

I'm guessing nobody has that DVD.  I don't know how you feel about Nostalgia Critic but he recently did an Old vs. New for the original and latest Kongs, it's pretty good.

Oh, I'm sure many have the DVD. I know I do smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You should do "The Book Of Eli." This is a film that STARTS with a character literally killing a cat.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

movie drinking games

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

You should do "The Book Of Eli." This is a film that STARTS with a character literally killing a cat.

Yeah, that piqued my interest in the theatre.

I actually have some stuff to say about ELI, because it's the kind of movie we sometimes reference, which is to say a movie that doesn't have any idea what the fuck it's trying to say.

Sometimes it seems to be pro-God/religion, but as a former born-again God-botherer I can tell you that the film's theology is all garbled even granting "God exists" as the magic beans; other times it seems fairly anti-religion but then that makes you wonder why it's being so pro-religion the rest of the time. I guess there's an argument to be made that it's pro-faith but anti-religion, but even that doesn't make much sense when you try to lay it over the top of the film itself.

Oh, and the twist is kind of dumb.

But I think I might be the only one on the panel who saw the flick.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is it out on DVD yet? I was interested in seeing it. But not $12 interested.

I remember Duellists being really good, I should revisit that one.    It's also notable because it was the first feature from a promising young  commercial and TV director named Ridley Scott.   His second movie was something about an alien.

I didn't have time to wade this entire thread, so apologies if this has been said 1000 times, but... with Trey in the house, I'd REALLY like you guys to commentarize:

- Dark Crystal (one of my favourite movies)
- Labbyrinth   (less so, but, hey, puppets wink )

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:

- Dark Crystal (one of my favourite movies)
- Labbyrinth   (less so, but, hey, puppets wink )

And we can cry over what could have been if either of those had been a hit, and Henson had continued to push in that direction sad

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wish everyone had super random movies like Cube, cause that would be a hilarious DiF.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We talk about Cube at the very beginning of Alien 3.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Meh, would have never heard it. How about Sgt. Bilko?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I already made a suggestion to Teague through twitter but he recommended I join the forums so here I am.

Last night I was watching the new Pelham 123 and thinking about Tony Scott's visual style and editing and I thought: "in the hands of a  less-skilled director and team, all this MTV/music video editing and shots would feel like complete egocentric Director excrement. In the hands of Tony Scott though, it feels rich and kinetic"

Pelham 123 was by no means a stunning and great film but it had it's moments and I feel it did represent Tony Scott's style. I began to wonder what the DIF team would say regarding T Scott's visual, audible choices.

I would love to hear a commentary for Man on Fire. At first I wasn't going to recommend it, because I'm sure that the whole DIF team will filmgeek gush all over it as I do, But I feel that it represents his style better than any other film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wanted to clarify something. By "Tony Scott style" I mean his visually crackling movies like Domino, Enemy of the State,  Deja Vu, Taking of Pelham 123, and even the TV show numbers.

I wasn't talking about common themes and looks.
Lighting conditions, amber sunsets, cigarettes and satin sheets... These are things from his earlier films and while I love 'em, I really want to hear thoughts on the way he films, edits, scores and grades his films now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm sure it's been recommend before but I'll double recommend it again. I agree with Trowa, Cube would kinda be an awesome commentary, i think it fits in perectly with the "motto" you guys had in Constantine, awesome movies that no one knows about. I think Cube fits the bill.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I like Cube a lot, especially for its clever low-budget thinking.   They devised a feature film that could be shot entirely on one set, and managed to keep it interesting the whole time.

While I don't love absolutely everything about Cube, it's smarter and more intriguing than many genre movies with ten times their budget.

Has it been enough pages since I suggested "Joe vs. the Volcano" that I can bring it up again?

(Actually I don't remember if I ever suggested "Joe vs. the Volcano." I just know I intend to keep doing it as often as I think I can get away with it.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked that movie. And not just for its use of "Sixteen Tons."

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was Ray Charles' version of "Old Man River" that did it for you, wasn't it?

Thumbs up Thumbs down