Topic: #34 - On Snow, White, and Huntsmen

So, rather randomly, immediately after recording this episode I saw the movie.

I more or less agree with the consensus of the panel. I was having a good time with it for a while, but at one point, I realized I didn't care at all. It had me and it lost me, and I think that's a result of the initial excitement of the tone and the art direction wearing off. It seems like the movie was having too much of a good time with its own style to take a look at the audience and see if they were still into it, too... alas.

The thing that really kills me about Kristen Stewart isn't even the acting, it's more that this girl never, ever closes her mouth. Truly. If you go see it, do me a favor and keep a little running log of how much time she spends with her teeth hanging out to how much time she spends with her mouth closed. I promise it's like 9:1.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: #34 - On Snow, White, and Huntsmen

IT sucks because there's great potential for someone to make a subversive Snow White story, where the Witch ends up actually being a totally reasonable leader, and Snow White is being used as a puppet prophet by religious rebels from the haunted woods trying to insight violence and take over the kingdom.

Speaking of the "chosen one" thing, I desperately want one of these movies to start out that way and then have the chosen one get brutally killed 1/3 of the way through, and have the rest of the characters have to deal with the ramifications.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Speaking of the "chosen one" thing, I desperately want one of these movies to start out that way and then have the chosen one get brutally killed 1/3 of the way through, and have the rest of the characters have to deal with the ramifications.

Yes. I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today. Establish the 'chosen one' character, set him on his path and then *boom* he's dead. Now deal with it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:
bullet3 wrote:

Yes. I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today. Establish the 'chosen one' character, set him on his path and then *boom* he's dead. Now deal with it.

You know what movie does this? It's the closest example of this I've ever seen, and you're not gonna believe it.

Spy Kids 3: Game Over.

They spend the whole movie setting up how "The Kid" is the most powerful player, and how he's the only one who can get them to the end. And when "The Kid" shows up, he's immediately dispatched. At least, that's what I remember.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I assume based on Teague's reaction to the film that it wasn't received particularly well by the panel at large. I dunno how I missed the live show, and I feel bad about that...

Anywho, I saw it and I thought it was OK. I have a longer writeup in the "random movie talk that blah blah" thread. I'm gonna guess that I liked it more than you guys, tho. I think it was Theron, her brother and the notion of giving her a bit of a tragic backstory thing that gave me that interest, though I wish they had acknowledged that at the end of the film instead of having Stewart basically just shit in her face with that last line.

I think it would have worked better if they had given Snow some kind of internal conflict to deal with. Or if they had given ANYONE some internal conflict to deal with. There really was none to speak of. The queen's brother seemed to have doubts in a few scenes, but never acted on them. The huntsman / prince / snow triangle could have been interesting, though that would have probably ended up feeling very Twilighty. Maybe have the prince grow up resenting his father's decision to flee, and have that resentment fester for ten years turning him into quite a dark fellow and not a heroic champion of goodness.

Oh well. I love the Mononokesque scene, and the abrupt end to it.

EDIT:

Executive Decision kinda does that as well. They set up Seagal to be the star who's gonna get on the plane and save the day, and then they kill him off before he can make it on the plane AND the scientist guy who knows how to defuse the bomb or whatever gets paralyzed. Didn't they also shoot fake bits for the trailer for that as well? So that the fact that they killed off Seagal was more of a shock?

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-06-04 23:45:57)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Well, I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I assume based on Teague's reaction to the film that it wasn't received particularly well by the panel at large.

They didn't hate it, actually. They were kind of 'meh' about it but it wasn't as bad as Battleshit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Battleship is one of the funniest things I've seen so far this year. The bluray for that is going on my shelf right next to US Seals 2.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-06-04 23:48:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't seen it smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Man, you guys are sticking with the "depression" theme that you set up a little while back, huh? Not that the depression isn't warranted, I totally agree with your critiques of the movie business as it currently stands. Though the latter half of the year is looking fairly promising, at the moment. Hopefully it pans out that way.

I haven't seen Snow White and the Huntsman yet, but I was actually quite looking forward to it. I've been a big fan of Rupert Sanders' film and commercial work (https://vimeo.com/user5381930) for quite some time now, and I was excited when they announced he was going to be behind this. Then I saw the trailers and I thought it looked really cool. Then I saw the clips and I started to cool. Then I read the reviews, Dorkman's included, and listened to this... I decided to save my theater money for Prometheus and wait until this hits Netflix. Disappointed to hear that it wasn't everything I was hoping for.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm upset... not at the movie, which I haven't seen yet, but that my cousin got to interview Charlize Theron outside of a castle for the film and didn't invite me. *le sigh*

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58723/chris- … -huntsman/

Anyway, I probably will get around to seeing it, but last night's Game of Thrones finale and this week's Prometheus opening take precedent.

Last edited by dj_bakerman (2012-06-05 02:38:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So.... is this going to be the format now?

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

For the show?

No, we've got a Super 8 commentary in the stockpile, and we did Thor a couple weeks ago. We're fiddling with it. I think I'd like to settle somewhere on the 50/50 side of things, myself, we'll see how it shapes up.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P: You're right! I totally forgot about Executive Decision, that's a really awesome example of that, especially because Steven Seagal not only never dies in his movies, but usually never even gets injured or has to put up much of a fight at all. That movie rules. Deep Blue Sea is the only other big subversion that I can think of off the top of my head.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's an issue with current releases. Nine out of ten times, the films available to discuss on a given week will turn out to be forgettable bullshit, which can really drag down the level of discourse. Which is a bummer, since we've been treated to thoughtful discussion of the most notable (for good, ill, or otherwise) films of the last 40 years since the show started.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hm. Good point.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

There's an issue with current releases. Nine out of ten times, the films available to discuss on a given week will turn out to be forgettable bullshit, which can really drag down the level of discourse. Which is a bummer, since we've been treated to thoughtful discussion of the most notable (for good, ill, or otherwise) films of the last 40 years since the show started.

Yeah, I was actually just gonna say something similar. Although less tactfully I'm sure.

When you guys started the switch over to new-DiF and started down this trend I really started to get worried, and so far you guys haven't pulled out of it. Which I really hate to see.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I wasn't speaking to the new style writ large. The non-specific discussion episodes are great – unhinging from a film lets the discussion drive rather than a movie. More a warning that most movies ever in theatres are mediocre, which is more dangerous to comment and criticism than good or bad.

Last edited by paulou (2012-06-05 04:40:28)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

I wasn't speaking to the new style writ large.

Well..then take my thing on it's own. My specific comment I was going to make was something along the lines of: "So this is what DiF is going to be now? Just talk about whatever bleh movie came out this week and continue into a depressive spiral of self hatred and loathing for the entire film industry?"

Less tactful...perhaps, but it makes my point. tongue

ZangrethorDigital.ca

His post did, too. Duly noted, sirs.  wink

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Someone mentioned Emily Browning as a casting alternative, and I was reminded of Sleeping Beauty.  I haven't seen either film, but I'd be interested to hear an enlightened compare-and-contrast on the them.

Matt Vayda wrote:

Someone mentioned Emily Browning as a casting alternative, and I was reminded of Sleeping Beauty.  I haven't seen either film, but I'd be interested to hear an enlightened compare-and-contrast on the them.

That Sleeping Beauty has issues. But still, check it out. Felt like it was taking a long road to a short point. Could have used a few more drafts to explore and build on the shape of it. Doesn't really have anything to do with the namesake fairy tale outside of a cheeky plot thing.

It's got some brutal, uncomfortable long ass locked off oners, though. And I'm a sucker for those, no matter the context.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can't for next years big release where Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, other Snow White and Red Riding Hood team up to fight the big bad wolfs half brother!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:

I can't for next years big release where Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, other Snow White and Red Riding Hood team up to fight the big bad wolfs half brother!

Zack Snyder as director and I am so there.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Matt Vayda wrote:

Well, Sleeping Beauty isn't really about the fairytale. It's just a dark drama about a young woman who prostitutes herself while she sleeps. It's based on a novella called House of the Sleeping Beauties.

Browning gets naked a lot in the film, it's really a brave acting turn and quite admirable. It is an oddity but worthy of a watch (not because of the nudity)

EDIT: Just saw that Paul has already mentioned it isn't based on the fairytale. Should have spotted that earlier.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-06-05 15:07:26)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:
bullet3 wrote:

So... the whole Jesus thing.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down