Re: How will you be seeing 'The Hobbit'? In 3D? IMAX? 48fps? Digital? 4K?

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I mean, I liked Azog as a character and as a foe for Thorin and the gang, I guess. I hated the CGI on him, though. His skin was too smooth, so it looked like there wasn't much detail on him. Made him look like a video game character.

I guess Azog is like the Saruman of this franchise. But is he enough of a presence to sustain it? Maybe the Necromancer will take some of that in Part II.

That's fair.
I found his appearance an interesting change and an engaging one.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I fully expected to hate Radagast, given how many called him the Jar Jar Binks of The Hobbit. That's a huge exaggeration. Radagast is fine. He's even fun to watch most of the time. He just doesn't mesh with the plot of this film (at least not yet.) And someone in pre-production clearly overestimated how much people enjoy looking at birdshit.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

two dwarf musical numbers is still two too many, and Radagast better become important in movies 2 and/or 3 or I'm gonna hate him even more than I do now.

The Misty Mountains hymn is cool. It needs to be extended into a fully blown goth metal version.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltwf3srkLj1r04l80o1_500.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

two dwarf musical numbers is still two too many, and Radagast better become important in movies 2 and/or 3 or I'm gonna hate him even more than I do now.

The Misty Mountains hymn is cool. It needs to be extended into a fully blown goth metal version.

I loved that theme running through the film. I know some find it irritating, but it worked well for me in a similar fashion to the Fellowship theme in the LOTR trilogy.

Radagast was a little too over the top for me, but I loved him as a contrast between extremes of Saruman and himself. Radagast became too infatuated with the world, while Saruman clearly had his own machinations at the Council with his downplaying Gandalf's fears, discounting Radagast's opinion.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I fully expected to hate Radagast, given how many called him the Jar Jar Binks of The Hobbit. That's a huge exaggeration. Radagast is fine. He's even fun to watch most of the time. He just doesn't mesh with the plot of this film (at least not yet.) And someone in pre-production clearly overestimated how much people enjoy looking at birdshit.

The Radagast smoking gag wasn't funny, nor was the stick insect in the mouth. Nor was how Radagast was going around in circles stupidly leading the orcs back to the dwarf party. Does anyone know why the giant spiders aborted their attack on his rat-infested hovel? Is it because even they have standards?

Did anyone find Thorin's rejection of Bilbo a little abrupt after the Stone Giants scene? I know it was set up at the beginning but he seemed like he was coming around after the Trolls and then all of a sudden Thorin loses his nut when Bilbo slips on the rock.

Also how was Bilbo expecting to get back from the mountains on his own when the path was just destroyed?

How did Gollum not hear Bilbo when he was invisible? We could clearly hear him moving around in the sound mix, so it's not like Sting masks the sound as well.

Why did Azog announce that 'Thorin is mine' and then order one of his underlings to kill him?

How many wargs were there in the final attack? The party knocked off a few in the initial charge. Even Bilbo killed one. Then the Eagles really cleared them out, two or three at a time. Then we see the final 'I will get you' scene on the promontory and it's still covered in wargs. Do they respawn?

Gandalf is the Necromancer - as he just resurrected Thorin with a spell at the end.

Why did the Eagles drop off everyone short of the destination (and in line of sight of the destination) when time is pressing? Surely Gandalf could have put another few coins in the meter, and the Eagles seem to be under his command.

It's funny how Australians get cast as all the leaders in each realm. Goblin King = Aussie. Leader of Rivendell = Aussie. Leader of Lothlorien = Aussie. Leader of Gondor = Aussie.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I for one, found Radagast's hovel and interesting hodgepodge, with the spiders reflecting the evil that was coming in to the world. The fact that they ran away may have been due to Radagast's use of his power to heal the hedgehog. He clearly is powerful enough to withstand a Nazgul so the spiders may have sensed his power and fled.

Bilbo probably wasn't thinking about the how of getting back-just that he wanted to get back. Thorin's rejection of him was probably abrupt due to the conflict within himself about whether or not Bilbo was worth keeping around. And Bilbo nearly proved him right.

Thorin wasn't dead. I kept expecting him to stab the Orc or Azog. So, Gandalf didn't strike me as any more a Necromancer than Aragorn in Return of the King.

Eagles-oh, why did you do that? They're not Gandalf's pets but I was waiting, and still am, for Trey's comments. I withhold them for now

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Did we really need that Azog flashback? No. That's something that should have gone in an extended edition.

Whether or not it was necessary, it looked really cool  smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heh.  Well,  I'll say that since they've trotted out the eagles once again to save the day, it wouldn't hurt to explain them just a little bit for the benefit of folks who haven't read the books.  (Which I actually haven't, I got the info from the official LOTR commentaries.)

If it was me, I'd put a brief moment at the top of the next Hobbit movie - Bilbo could ask the perfectly reasonable question "why the heck didn't the eagles take us the rest of the way?" and Gandalf could tell him (and the audience) that eagles don't mix in with the affairs of other races much - though they sometimes do Gandalf favors when his bacon really needs saving.

Trey wrote:

Heh.  Well,  I'll say that since they've trotted out the eagles once again to save the day, it wouldn't hurt to explain them just a little bit for the benefit of folks who haven't read the books.  (Which I actually haven't, I got the info from the official LOTR commentaries.)

If it was me, I'd put a brief moment at the top of the next Hobbit movie - Bilbo could ask the perfectly reasonable question "why the heck didn't the eagles take us the rest of the way?" and Gandalf could tell him (and the audience) that eagles don't mix in with the affairs of other races much - though they sometimes do Gandalf favors when his bacon really needs saving.

I'll agree with that, given that the eagles are kind of an enigma within the LOTR films. Given most people's reaction to them, I think Tom Bombadil would have been a huge mistake.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I think I'm gonna start work on "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Edit" as soon as I can, if Mike J Nichols doesn't get there first.

I was gonna wait for the trilogy to finish and try cutting it into one film.

fireproof78 wrote:

I loved that theme running through the film. I know some find it irritating, but it worked well for me in a similar fashion to the Fellowship theme in the LOTR trilogy.

I liked the theme and likewise found it reminiscent of the Fellowship theme. But the Fellowship theme wasn't introduced in a musical number that stopped the movie dead.

Avatar hit on most of the problems I had watching the flick. I've only seen 24fps 2D and the movie isn't worth another three hours of my life, unless it gets a Best Picture nomination in which case, if it's in the AMC Best Picture Showcase in HFR 3D, I may go ahead and watch it.

But I just want to say, for the record, that 48fps is not new and I do not need to see HOBBIT HFR to know what it looks like. Hello? PAL video? Effectively 50fps? HOBBIT HFR will look like a better-lit Father Ted with more CG. The future of cinema? No thank you.

Last edited by Dorkman (2012-12-18 08:25:24)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

So far we've seen Gandalf call the Eagles three times (from Orthanc, outside the Black Gate, and at the end of the Hobbit) and three times they've come. Talk about air-support. I love the smell of pipe-weed in the morning.

You could have a scene where Gandalf calls and the Eagles don't come. Or they take a high altitude dump on the dwarves to shown their disdain. That would send the message they're no-one's bitches.

But at the end of The Hobbit, the Lonely Mountain is right there - it's just ahead. Not here, just a bit further while you're at it. We'll even throw in the fat dwarf as a tasty reward.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I liked the theme and likewise found it reminiscent of the Fellowship theme. But the Fellowship theme wasn't introduced in a musical number that stopped the movie dead.

LOTR movies had a quite a few snippets of songs: Eowin, Pippen, Aragorn, Merry & Pippen all sing, some multiple times. And there's even more singing in the books. I could have done without the 'blunt the knives' song, but thankfully it was only a minute long.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fair point. But those songs were usually more of an accompaniment to the scene -- Eowyn sang at Theodred's funeral, Pippin provided ironic counterpoint to a hopeless battle -- rather than being the only reason the scene exists.

Granted, there were only two songs and they followed on each other fairly rapidly. I think that just gave me the feeling that oh Christ, there's gonna be singing all over this bitch. And then there wasn't but that feeling was still there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Effectively 50fps? HOBBIT HFR will look like a better-lit Father Ted with more CG.

Don't you be dragging Father Ted into this now!  yikes

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Dorkman wrote:
Eddie wrote:

I think I'm gonna start work on "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Edit" as soon as I can, if Mike J Nichols doesn't get there first.

See, I would have no problem with The Hobbit as 3 movies, if they were all 80 minutes, which is what I'm going to aim for.  I liked the opening backstory stuff with Thorin, and I dug everything at Rivendell.  I just think the majority of Bag End's is death, and as you and I discussed, I would cut it after they escape the Goblin King.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:
Dorkman wrote:
Eddie wrote:

See, I would have no problem with The Hobbit as 3 movies, if they were all 80 minutes, which is what I'm going to aim for.  I liked the opening backstory stuff with Thorin, and I dug everything at Rivendell.  I just think the majority of Bag End's is death, and as you and I discussed, I would cut it after they escape the Goblin King.

I wouldn't mind seeing this as an experiment, but I like that the longer version exists. Like I prefer the BBC Pride & Prejudice, but respect what the Kiera Knightley version is doing.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

So, it's been a week since I saw The Hobbit and I figure I should write something somewhere about how I felt about it. The short version: I liked it a lot.

Now, speaking of 'short'. A lot of the criticisms about this movie has to do with the length and inclusion of material outside of the immediate scope of the orginal novel. I can aboslutely see why people have these problems, but Im gonna try to explain why I, after 170 minutes in the theater, still was ready for more.

When I first watched Fellowship of the Ring back in 2001, I didn't immediately love it. It was okay and I was happy to have watched it, but it didn't make much of an impact. It was only when I watched the Extended Edition almost a year later that I finally fell completely in love with that movie. I ended up having the exact same experience on both of the sequels and it became clear that when it comes to Middle Earth,  I'm not looking for the tight, bare minimum version that'll appeal to as many people as possible. I want as much Middle Earth time as Peter Jackson can get away with giving me. And since these three movies are the last chance I'll get to have him adapt anything from Tolkien, I want him to cram as much of it in them as he's able to.

Now, about the movie itself: Liked most of it. Loved The Riddles in the Dark, Radagast, The Whte Council and the performances (especially Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen. My least favorite parts were probably the first song where the dwarves are throwing plates around and the Stone Giants sequence.

Also, I can't wait to buy the EE of this one.

Last edited by Hansen (2012-12-19 04:09:45)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Good post, sir.

I still haven't seen this thing, gonna rectify this weekend.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hansen, you give me hope that I'm gonna love this shit out of this thing. I'm very much all of this:

I'm not looking for the tight, bare minimum version that'll appeal to as many people as possible. I want as much Middle Earth time as Peter Jackson can get away with giving me.

Gonna try and get out to it tomorrow, since it's my one day off between now and the new year.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

HFR is pain in a can...  and the pain is from it being aesthetically so ugly.

What surprised me was not that I hated it. What surprised me that I didn't *always* hate it with the fury of a thousand exploding suns, but that there was whole stretches - sometimes several tens of seconds at a time - where I could live with it. That - and the fact that 50% of my family enjoyed it.... makes me... doubt myself in a very strange way.

More elaboration here: http://masterzap.blogspot.se/2012/12/me … rates.html

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2012-12-19 10:02:13)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:

HFR is pain in a can...  and the pain is from it being aesthetically so ugly.

What surprised me was not that I hated it. What surprised me that I didn't *always* hate it with the fury of a thousand exploding suns, but that there was whole stretches - sometimes several tens of seconds at a time - where I could live with it. That - and the fact that 50% of my family enjoyed it.... makes me... doubt myself in a very strange way.

More elaboration here: http://masterzap.blogspot.se/2012/12/me … rates.html

/Z

Good post, thanks. Interesting read and some thought-provoking theories about learned response, idealized motion, etc.

So the jury is still out on whether this is the future. If it is learned response, then young kids who grow up on 3D OLED screens should perceive The Hobbit as natural/normal and 24P as old fashioned (like we look back at old blurry old black & white movies from the 1930s).

It is weird - every other advance in cinema over the last century gives you more: more colour, more contrast, more audio channels (& with 3D two separate visual 'channels'), more screen size, more resolution,... and yet this one thing, HFR, is perceived as a backwards step. More is suddenly less.

Last edited by avatar (2012-12-19 14:33:56)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SPARE TICKET - Any DiFers living in London?

I have a spare ticket to THE HOBBIT, in IMAX 3D HFR at Swiss Cottage Odeon tomorrow (Thurs) for the 3:30pm session, if anyone's interested. Best seat in the house i.e. rear, middle.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SOMEONE TAKE HIM UP ON THIS.

Then we can have a DIF sleeper cell in London for whenever we have... a... plan... to... colonize Parliament or something.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

London is a fair bit away from me, I'm afraid  hmm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, drag your ass to London. I thought all of England was like five miles square.

EDIT Google. Three hours and forty minutes. Sigh. Travel.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down