Topic: Elon Musk's Hyperloop

Elon Musk (CEO of Tesla and Space-X, chairman of SolarCity), just released his draft design for what he calls the "Hyperloop" transport system. I've been following this with some interest, and I wonder if anyone else has.

http://www.zarban.com/pics/hyperloop.jpg
Source and plan PDF

The basic idea is this:

• Build a pair of 11'-diameter tubes along California's Interstate 5, up on pylons so they don't interfere with traffic or wildlife.

• The tubes are maintained at low pressure (but not vacuum) with fans at stations.

• Transport pods have battery-powered fans that suck in air in front of them and blow it down to create an air cushion and backwards to create propulsion.

• The pods are designed for aerodynamic lift at high speed (700+ mph), floating on the cushion of air.

• The pod fans are augmented by linear electric motors at stations and every 70 miles along the way to provide initial acceleration, periodic boost, and final deceleration.

• Most of the power comes from solar panels on top of the tubes, supported with compressed-air storage.

• Luggage would be stowed at the back of the pod and loaded and unloaded by Hyperloop staff.

Musk gives substantial detail in the PDF on design and cost, and estimates a total cost of less than 6$ billion—much less than the high-speed rail currently planned—for 350-mile LA-to-SF travel in just 30 minutes.

I've reviewed some of the 57-page PDF, and design challenges I see are:

• How does the pod enter and exit the low-pressure tube at a station so passengers can enter and exit under normal pressure? Musk's answer is airlocks, which seems slow and unreliable.

• How do pods (which are envisioned as separate transports), avoid each other along the route if some are entering and exiting at different points? (Trains do this by being few and far between; cars do this with multiple lanes.)

• Airport-style gate-checked luggage handling is inherently slow and inefficient. The 30-minute journey could be more than doubled by the loading and unloading process.

• Overall, Musk envisions airport-style security and safety checks (TSA, seat belts, etc.), which are the worst parts of flying (after delays) and exactly what rail passengers want to avoid.

Last edited by Zarban (2013-08-12 22:31:40)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Re: Elon Musk's Hyperloop

"When we reach our cruising speed of 700 mph, we recommend you keep your seat belt loosely fastened.  That way if there's an accident the lower half of your body will stay in your seat and we'll know whose legs those were."

♫ "Hyperloop breaks guitars" ♫

Sounds like someone has been watching Disney's original EPCOT proposal again.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

"When we reach our cruising speed of 700 mph, we recommend you keep your seat belt loosely fastened.  That way if there's an accident the lower half of your body will stay in your seat and we'll know whose legs those were."

I won't be down in front of that carriage, because I don't want my friends in my head.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

SciShow lays out the basics of the Hyperloop in video form.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-08-18 02:45:53)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Naturally, unless this thing has a good song there's no way the public will pay for it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Credit goes to a SpaceX friend of mine.

Sung to tune of the monorail song from The Simpsons:

Molly wrote:

Elon: Well, sir, there’s nothing on Earth like a genuine,
bona fide,
electrified,
28-person Hyperloop!
What’d I say?
Media: Hyperloop!
Elon: What’s it called?
Internet: Hyperloop!
Elon: That’s right! Hyperloop!
All: Hyperloop… Hyperloop… Hyperloop…
Environmentalists: Seems like an awful lot of power…
Elon: Not for a trip that’s half an hour!
OSHA: What happens if the pressure drops?
Elon: There’s O2 masks and e-brake stops!
Farmers: But won’t it go right through my farm?
Elon: No, dear sirs, it does no harm!
Civil engineers: And what if there’s a huge earthquake?
Elon: Check out the pylons that we’ll make!
Taxpayers: That’s so much money down the drain…
Elon: Still better than that high-speed train!
I swear it’s Cali’s only choice
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
All: Hyperloop!
Elon: What’s it called?
Elon: Once again…
Media: So who will make this dream come true?
Elon: Not me. I’ve other stuff to do.
All: Hyperloop… Hyperloop… HYPERLOOOOOOOP!

HYPERLO- oh.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

News to me: the $6B price tag.

Considering Californians already approved $20B in funding to the high speed rail system that would make the same trip and hasn't even started being built yet, yeah, I think that's a no-brainer. But then I thought the same about the defeat of Prop 8, so California is unpredictable and sometimes retarded.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One should never believe price tags given to tech that hasn't been shown to work yet. The cost almost always doubles, at the very least, and it will take far longer to get it working than first estimates. Musk's later comment that he may actually build a proof of concept could get the ball rolling, but until then any sane government is going to file this alongside perpetual motion proposals (which this almost is, with its claim to generate more power than it consumes). Listening to the Abyss commentary again last weekend, there's the part where Trey tells of the movie industry reps saying Hollywood has never invested in technology, they wait for others to get it to the point where it's useful to the industry. Local and State governments, as opposed to Federal, should probably be the same way.

So, it's an interesting idea, and maybe they should delay breaking ground on the new train for a bit to give it a chance, but nobody should green light it now. Let's see if the thing actually works.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

...file this alongside perpetual motion proposals (which this almost is, with its claim to generate more power than it consumes)

Not really seeing the connection. I could strap a big enough solar panel array to a model train set and it would produce more power than it uses. All it means is that there's a shit ton of solar panels on the roof of that thing (Assuming Musk isn't talking out his ass about that whole thing).

ZangrethorDigital.ca

That's the thing. It's "self powered", the ideal transportation system. Might it work? Sure. But, something that seems too good to be true probably is. Show me the demo, not the powerpoint animation smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

(Assuming Musk isn't talking out his ass about that whole thing).

PayPal
Tesla Motors
SolarCity
SpaceX

Not a man who talks out his ass. Allow me to introduce you to his rocket.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/l … 0337.story

Invid wrote:

That's the thing. It's "self powered", the ideal transportation system.

It's not self-powered, it's solar-powered with solar panels integrated into its design.

I think the term you're looking for is self-contained.

Last edited by Dorkman (2013-08-20 06:42:06)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://sunwindsolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/SOLARCAR.jpg

EXT. Roadside - Day

The solar powered car slowly rolls to a stop, the radio pumps out LIFE IS A HIGHWAY.

Driver 1- DAMMIT JERRY! What did I tell you about the radio! These things only put out enough to juice to keep the wheels rolling, that's IT!
Driver 2- Oh gees, I know, but can't we just like throw another solar panel or two on there, you know how anxious I get without driving music.
Driver 1- No JERRY!! We only produce what we use to power the wheels! THAT'S IT!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Hyperloop. Hypeeerrr loooop.  Sounds like a new street drug.

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It does kinda sound like something you might find in a Tekwars novel or something come to think of it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh wow you actually read Tekwars?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Heh, I read the first couple WAAAAAAAAAAAY back when I was just wandering through the library looking for something to read in early high school. I remember like little flashes of imagery from them, not a ton. I dodn't think they were really too bad at the time, but I'd have to revisit them to have any legit opinion on them.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-08-20 21:48:46)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I remember going to a Trek convention back in the TNG days, and we were given the good news that the next Tekwars book would have the same ghost author as the last one smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I read one book of Tekwars, but I never got in to it. I did watch the movie, but again, same reaction *shrugs*

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tesla Model S: highest safety rating ever

Growing up with a name like Elon Musk, it was inevitable that he'd become a Bond villain one day.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, I fully expect he'll snap one day and reveal that he still has a backdoor to PayPal and has stolen a trillion dollars. And cars are now under his remote control because they licensed Tesla technology. And he can shut down all Hyperloops at will. And he can shut down the electric grid because it's now 30% SunCity solar panels.

And we can't touch him because he flew to his orbiting headquarters by his personal SpaceX rocket.