Topic: Captain Phillips review (no spoilers)

Captain Richard Phillips won't be mistaken by anyone for an action hero. With his large-framed glasses and pudgy figure, he's the last person you'd expect to do battle with dangerous pirates. And perhaps the greatest miracle of Paul Greengrass's Captain Phillips is that he doesn't. How easy would it have been to turn this mild-mannered man and have him use his wits to turn the tables on his captors? It's a story that's been filmed a thousand times before. But not here. Captain Phillips is a resourceful man, and he manages to trick the pirates who board his ship on more than one occasion. But he's just a man. He's not a superhero, and the movie has no interest in presenting him as such. Tom Hanks, in one of his best recent performances, never plays him as anything more or less than what he is. He's smart, yes, but he's just as much a victim of his emotions as the pirates who take him prisoner. And as tensions get high, there's no telling who will be the first to snap.

As much praise as Hanks is getting for his performance, the real stars of the show are the pirates, all non-actors pulled from the same suburb. Barkhad Abdi as Muse, the pirate's captain, is the perfect picture of desperation. His confident facade never openly shatters, but you can see the cracks start to show as the film goes on. It's a remarkably understated performance. Also of note is Faysal Ahmed as Najee, a violent loose-cannon who is the source of much of the final act's tension.

Between this and Gravity, going to the movies is quite an ordeal this weekend. Anyone got any Xanax?

(also posted on letterboxd.)

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2013-10-13 03:07:54)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Captain Phillips review (no spoilers)

I pretty much agree with everything you said, and love the movie.

However, was it just me or was the opening scene with Hanks just terrible?
The whole bit where he's talking with his wife in the car, and the dialogue, the accent, and the acting are all really bad. It's really bizarre, like it was inserted out of a different movie or something. I distinctly remember being worried for about 2 minutes, and then the movie turns around and is great for the rest of it. 
You don't need it in the movie really either (though I understand the hesitation at cutting Catherine Keener out of your movie).

Outside of that, Hanks is great though, and the end of the movie is an amazing piece of acting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SPOILER Show
The opening bit with the cap doddering about his house does play oddly. Part of what they're going for there, I suppose, is contrasting the normalcy of Phillips' life in the west with the normalcy of Muse's life in Somalia. Phillips has a cozy, middle-class house, calmly gathers his things and leaves for work with his spouse; whereas, Muse's idea of normal is being awoken by warlords driving in with machine guns ordering him to pirate ships. Phillips muses about how he wishes his kid would take school more seriously, and Muse deals with warlords wielding AK-47s. First-world problems versus third-world problems. Cool idea, but there definitely was a lack of urgency up front.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

SPOILER Show
The opening bit with the cap doddering about his house does play oddly. Part of what they're going for there, I suppose, is contrasting the normalcy of Phillips' life in the west with the normalcy of Muse's life in Somalia. Phillips has a cozy, middle-class house, calmly gathers his things and leaves for work with his spouse; whereas, Muse's idea of normal is being awoken by warlords driving in with machine guns ordering him to pirate ships. Phillips muses about how he wishes his kid would take school more seriously, and Muse deals with warlords wielding AK-47s. First-world problems versus third-world problems. Cool idea, but there definitely was a lack of urgency up front.

Yeah, the pacing of the first twenty minutes or so was a bit wonky. Mostly because they were cutting between those two stories a bit awkwardly. Once the pirates show up at Phillips' ship that goes away.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think it's just the dialogue in the car specifically feels really unnatural and on-the-nose. I like the cross-cutting and what they're going for, but if him and his wife drove to the airport in silence, it would play much better.

Thumbs up Thumbs down