Topic: Jupiter Ascending - Trailer

From the Wachowski's:

If you ask me it looks like a hot mess. I'm eager to see it, but it looks overly complicated, hyper-stylized and convoluted. I guess that's kind of their bag now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Jupiter Ascending - Trailer

"So, Andy. Lana. You're just coming off one of the most ambitious, complex movies in recent years. Are you going to take a break and go smaller with your next project?"

"No. Crazier. Bigger and crazier."

"...Not sure you can top Cloud Atlas but-"

"BIGGER AND CRAZIER."

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i.imgur.com/NxPjns9.jpg

Ughhhh. Another "chosen one" plot. If you told me this was based on a Young Adult novel for teens I would believe you. I know you guys love Cloud Atlas, but I really don't think they've pulled off a narrative since The Matrix. They really could use a third collaborator to rewrite some of their dialogue.

Sean Bean is in it though, so that's a plus.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Ughhhh. Another "chosen one" plot. If you told me this was based on a Young Adult novel for teens I would believe you. I know you guys love Cloud Atlas, but I really don't think they've pulled off a narrative since The Matrix. They really could use a third collaborator to rewrite some of their dialogue.

Sean Bean is in it though, so that's a plus.

Yes, but does Sean Bean die? That is the question wink

I am semi-interested in it, but fear that with Tatum (who I didn't recognize until someone said his name) it will be another John Carter. Pretty visuals, a little pulpy with a princess to boot, but lacking substance.

That all being said, I am impressed with the ideas behind the story. Most space opera style stories do not use Earth as a back drop (at least in recent years. Perhaps the Star Wars effect). The idea that Earth isn't the center of the universe or a galaxy spanning empire but rather a small cog in a larger machine is an interesting concept and one that I am at least willing to give it a shot with.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To be fair, Tatum is a MUCH more interesting and versatile actor than Taylor Kitsch. But I get your point. This movie might get lost in its own insane mythology and forget to tell a story about interesting people.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will say this - I thought Kitsch did just fine in Lone Survivor.  True, he's not the lead so he doesn't have to carry the movie. But as a supporting player he was dandy, and I didn't think of John Carter or Battleship once. smile

From the trailer, Mila doesn't look like she belongs in this movie. She's fine as the sassy girlfriend in raunchy rom-coms, but seems miscast in a space opera. Hope I'm wrong.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I watched them film a LOT of this around my place. So I was going to see it regardless (this is why I will see Transformers 4 too), but it actually looks better than the synopsis read. Thumbs up, W siblings.

Also, the helicopter scenes are real. Not CG - the flew a damned attack helicopter past my balcony with people dangling from it. It was insanity. Narrow streets and canyons made of concrete and glass. I don't know how they got approval for it.

Last edited by oTom (2013-12-11 03:36:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rikkitikkitaavi wrote:

I'm eager to see it, but it looks overly complicated, hyper-stylized and convoluted. I guess that's kind of their bag now.

LOL, "now."

They rehabilitated themselves to me with SPEED RACER and CLOUD ATLAS, so I'm down for the ride.

Last edited by Dorkman (2013-12-11 03:58:07)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You guys really should do a commentary for Speed Racer. It's a very odd film. Dorkman and others love it, some people utterly loathe it, and people like me are just confused by it.

Ewing wrote:

You guys really should do a commentary for Speed Racer. It's a very odd film. Dorkman and others love it, some people utterly loathe it, and people like me are just confused by it.

I am firmly in the camp of LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVIIIIINNNNGGG Speed Racer.

And apparently that makes me weird, I've never understood it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The way I feel about Speed Racer is how most people felt about Starship Troopers when it was released. I don't know what the hell I watched, it might be good, it might be bad, the only thing certain is that the filmmakers were fucking with me on some level.

I have the same feeling towards Speed Racer that I do Cloud Atlas: Goddamn that's impressive, amazing amazing story construction and editing, but totally misguided and unsuccessful.

Making your energetic kids racing movie 80% about international corporate politics is a fucking bizarre choice, and cartoon physics in a live action movie do not work (at least the way they execute them). I think the choice to have the cars all look totally weightless and stupidly bouncing around in the action scenes was a real mistake, and on top of that, for a movie called "Speed Racer" the races are few and far between.

But damn is it pretty. It may not work but I'm glad something that off-the-charts weird got made.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-12-11 05:50:37)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I tried watching Speed Racer with my nephew, who was 9 at the time, and we gave up around 20 minutes in, when Speed was being pressured by the sponsor guy. Too loud, too confusing.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Well, we know this: it will be pretty and fairly insane.

Personally, regardless of casting misgivings and story potential concerns, I am excited to see this film. I have a growing love of scifi concept art and movies like this just bring some interesting and fun designs to the science fiction world. As much fun as hard scifi is, there is something about space opera that is more exciting to me. I'll take the weird title too, thank you very much big_smile

https://static.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/51ce6099e4b0d911b4489b79/51ce61e6e4b0d911b44a518b/1366049808727/1000w/header-the-wachowskis-jupiter-ascending-official-synopsis-released.jpg

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/jupiter-ascending-set2.jpg

http://jupiterascendingmovienews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/jupiter-ascending-set-pictures12.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

chowskis gonna chowsk

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I am soooooo glad I didn't see Speed Racer in the theater.  I completely totally love it (even if it does drag a bit toward the end), but I can easily imagine that it's just too bright and too loud and too crazy on the big screen.  On my 42" plasma TV (small in the grand scheme of things), it's exactly the right amount of bright and loud and crazy. 

Yeah, Jupiter Ascending could easily be a trainwreck, but, at least if it is, it should be an interesting trainwreck, unlike, say, the prequel trilogy.  I'm hoping for at least The Fifth Element.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lady Faldor: It's a shame it has Channing thingy in, I'm bored of his face.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog