Re: True Detective

Saniss wrote:

I watched the sequence at the grandpa's house again but no hint really came up. He does say "I've seen kids today, all in black, wearing makeup, shit on their faces. Everything's sex." at some point, but it's probably just foreshadowing (or it's nothing at all).

That was absolutely foreshadowing Marty's daughter. And when he says that, Marty shoots him down and says, "Hey, every old generation says that about the younger ones." But Marty gets old, and he becomes that man, whether he knows it or not.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fuuuuuuccck. Hold up.

I thought of that photo from episode two, with young Dora standing around the guys in pointy hat costumes on horseback.

http://i.imgur.com/M6r7SZk.jpg

Turns out they're Capuchon hats and costumes, a popular Mardi Gras thing. But still staged super creepy. And the camera spent a lot of time one it.

Thought about it for a second. Five guys standing around a woman. Where have we seen that before?

* Five Ken dolls standing around Barbie in Audrey's room.

* Five (black) guys standing around the friend of Dora Lang when she was questioned, who had black star tattoos on her neck.

* Five beer-can-men around another after Cohle dissects his six-pack. Of Lone Star beer.

Any others?

There are five points to a star. Or pentagram. The black stars are five people.

Last edited by paulou (2014-02-19 01:46:04)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Guys, we're losing Paul.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You really think a motif like that in a show this exacting is by accident?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, I think you're onto something.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The patterns... Paul... I see them! I see them too! I see the patterns!

No, seriously, Paul is making some sense.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh wait, he smashed the sixth can into the flat circle, duh. Nevermind. But still. Five star men.

Five pointed star and a circle. Pentagram.

Last edited by paulou (2014-02-19 02:43:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, just wondering aloud if Hurricane Lili will factor at all into the 2002 storyline.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

Thought about it for a second. Five guys standing around a woman. Where have we seen that before?

* Five Ken dolls standing around Barbie in Audrey's room.

* Five (black) guys standing around the friend of Dora Lang when she was questioned, who had black star tattoos on her neck.

* Five beer-can-men around another after Cohle dissects his six-pack. Of Lone Star beer.

Any others?

There are five points to a star. Or pentagram. The black stars are five people.

paulou wrote:

Oh wait, he smashed the sixth can into the flat circle, duh. Nevermind. But still. Five star men.

Five pointed star and a circle. Pentagram.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/97c3e6b1a2d73217eae6371593a947c4/tumblr_n162giSzOT1qa1iiqo2_500.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/11a864002db6c55007ee5ee68e6bb01f/tumblr_n162giSzOT1qa1iiqo4_500.jpg

This fucking show.

You're 100% right, but you forgot the most important one. The stick figures.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/2d08d9a2f2d34219c5abab41ecdc30fd/tumblr_n17pxfV9WM1tpqd4ao6_r1_1280.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You guys. I'm scared.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, how could I have missed those.

Macob hadn’t seen the episode when she and I spoke, but the more she explained it, the more I realized that Nic Pizzolatto, the writer of the first episode “The Long Bright Dark,” did his homework. I don’t know whether the prop or marketing department went to an apothecary and put this together or just fashioned it out of what was lying around on the set but Macob says “it would be common that the body mass might possibly contain a variety of items massed together. Herbs, bones, hair, etc... all used in the creation of the fetish. It looks to be quite possible the 'head' and  'hair' are mandrake root which is used in both old European Magick as well as American Hoodoo and Folk Magick.”

I asked Dove what someone would use this kind of thing for? It’s certainly got a more utilitarian function than catching demons. Macob examined the picture of the figure and theorized “this is a binding spell/fetish of some type. Most likely meant to be female-based on 'hair' and form visible in pics. The 'figure' appears from the pictures to have two twig 'legs' bound to the base of the tripod. Twine is present and appears to be binding the twigs representing the arms-at least one. The figure is bound within the tripod and actually seems a part of it. Because of the tripod and the way it's peak becomes part of 'head' and the figures  'legs' are open within, it most likely represents a 'male' energy placing dominance over female. It's quite possible this is a binding to impose a male's Will (possibly sexual) upon a female but that is purely a guess at this point. It might be be part of a spell working for a person or it might represent a more abstract binding of a female spirit/entity. Possibly a protective binding to entrap or repel a malevolent female energy or spirit.”

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/true-detecti … s-homework

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's quite possible this is a binding to impose a male's Will (possibly sexual) upon a female but that is purely a guess at this point. It might be be part of a spell working for a person or it might represent a more abstract binding of a female spirit/entity. Possibly a protective binding to entrap or repel a malevolent female energy or spirit.

Wow. And that ties it in to the show's stuff about the subversion of masculinity and the patriarchy. Hart's losing control of his daughters and Cohle (it's implied) accidentally killed his.

By the way, that's not just me, right? Because I saw someone posit that as a "theory" but I was pretty sure that the show literally said that. I guess he just said that she died in an accident, but there's every suggestion that it was Cohle's fault.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When Marty looked at Audrey's drawings he gave them a cursory glance and tossed the notebook aside. His wife even comments that he doesn't take much time looking at them. He'll probably return to those images at some point and see something he didn't catch before.

Marty's daughter... how she figures into all this, that's got me stumpted.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My guess is Marty's daughter is key to the breakup of Marty and Rust's friendship. She's also the perfect age to go missing. So something there. I'd bet the grandfather is very involved. He exposed her to the gang rape imagery somehow AND he's clearly well to do, which, as we've been clued, makes him a suspect.

iDetective.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Saw something linking the four sacrificial deaths so far to the four elements.

Implying the Fontenot girl wasn't found because she was burned [fire], the one found bloated in a creek [water], Dora dead tied to a root [earth], and the most recent strung up crucified under a bridge [air]. Blah blah fifth death impending something something pagan nonsense probably Audrey. Supernatural default perceptions aside, found the elemental reading interesting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love that this is turning out to be a sneakily Lovecraftian (Chambers, but still) story. It's VERY much in the vein of those kinds of stories, which often take the form of a first person narrative relaying a brush with the supernatural, though they might not realize it at the time. They're often straightforward suspense stories that suddenly take a turn for the eldritch. The Call of Cthulhu, for example, is actually three stories about the Cthulhu cult, one of which is a pure detective story about a detective who disrupts an occult ritual in the bayou -- it's only when put together with the other stories that the supernatural, cosmic import of that event becomes clear.

My guess is that there will be a supernatural incident, but it will be just oblique enough that the audience can choose to accept it or not based on what they prefer -- just as, it would seem, Cohle and Marty chose to accept it or not, respectively. Cohle accepted the truth and pretty much went nuts, devoting his life to drowning the knowledge in alcohol, unwilling to kill himself because of what he now knows waits on the other side; Marty chose to quail away from the cosmic revelation and live a life of "sanity" -- which in weird fiction is basically synonymous with denial of reality's true shape.

$10 says this is the basis of their oft-referenced falling out -- we've seen that they're already fundamentally different people and can barely stand each other as it is, and yet we know as of ep5 that they remained an effective team for 7 years. It seems to me the only thing that could finally force them to part ways would be an irrevocable, concrete split in what they choose to accept as reality.

EDIT: The one bummer is that they only get to play that hand once. From season 2 onward everyone will know that it's a weird tales show, not just a police procedural.

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-02-19 09:47:34)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Makes sense if they are going the Lovecraftian route to make it an anthology series.

Anybody who ever played Call of Cthulhu (the roleplaying game) knows your characters rarely if ever survived the adventure.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I was pretty sure that the show literally said that.

The madam at the ranch had a line to the effect of, "Freaks men like you out when a woman does what she wants with her body because it means you don't own it like you thought you used to did."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

The madam at the ranch had a line to the effect of, "Freaks men like you out when a woman does what she wants with her body because it means you don't own it like you thought you used to did."

That line annoyed me because it didn't address his point about her being underage. At all. It was a weird reply.

Last edited by oTom (2014-02-19 19:37:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

iJim wrote:
paulou wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

That line annoyed me because it didn't address his point about her being underage. At all. It was a weird reply.

Don't think either of us are properly equipped to grasp libertarian-bayou-feminism as-is, so let's see where the show goes with it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pfft. You don't know me.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I just love the fuck out of this forum.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Here's a video of the actor that played Charlie Lange playing guitar during his own brain surgery.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The funny thing is, he couldn't play it before...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Minor Spoilers for episode 5.

Show
Marty says something to the effect to the detectives "If you didn't get anything out of him, he was just reading you." Rusty is way too smart to be photographed at the crime scene unless he wants to be. He wanted to get into that interrogation room to have a look into their case file.

I'd guess that there is nothing in that storage room that Rusty does not want/needs the detectives to see.

p.s. Are we sure Rusty is still not a cop, now deep, deep undercover?

Last edited by AshDigital (2014-02-21 07:56:45)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.