Re: True Detective

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/27/true- … -season-1/

Good interview with Nic Pizzolatto, with some minor spoilers (marked) as he teases the final two episodes. He says he hopes the ending will be "surprising but inevitable" for viewers. He uses those exact words. Funny.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There've been a couple of occasions in interviews and those HBO GO featurettes that have me half convinced he listens to WAYDM.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike: what makes you say so?

Nic: stop lurking, get a goddamn account already.

NSA: I see you there.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/filestorage/Avi7OHmatthew-mcconaughey-dallas-buyers-club-rust-cohle-movies-ecards-someecards.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Last night's episode killed a lot of my remaining goodwill, to be honest. When did this turn into such a rote detective drama?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SPOILER Show
1. "Get the hell out of here -- you're classing up the joint" is a line I've used countless times in the past. (Which should give you some idea of what kind of places I've worked at in my life.)

2. I continue to enjoy the relationship between the two main characters. They're constantly grating against each other, yet they constantly need each other, both in practical terms and in, IDK, existential terms I suppose. Sounds like a simple enough thing to execute, writing-wise, but it doesn't happen automatically. When Marty killed Ledoux and conspired with Rust to cover it up, they shared a secret, one that weirdly enough brought them closer. When Rust banged Maggie (for 5 seconds!), they shared another secret, but that one tore them apart. Now with Hart Investigative Solutions about to torture some answers out of our crooked sheriff friend, they definitely are sharing another secret that pulls them both deep into the shit together. So many cop stories are stories where the cops merely have different personalities (LETHAL WEAPON). It's cool that these two guys have serious beefs with each other beyond personality conflicts (one fucks the other's wife!). Leads to all that wonderful, heavy awkwardness (helps to have good actors, too).

3. Somehow I wish the black detectives weren't quite so clueless.

4. Pizzolatto seems like he's heading toward almost a BLUE VELVET-in-the-bayou meets EYES WIDE SHUT kind of thing, where you scratch the surface of polite society and find all this ugliness. Preachers raping kids. Powerful people doing weird cult shit. This tack is super dumb when it's done wrong. I hope he doesn't do it wrong.

5. It seems like an awful lot to unravel in one measly finale episode. Either a lot of loose ends will be left dangling, or it's going to be a stupid ending.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm still fully on board, but this didn't feel like a second act break that powers us into the third act. We just got our protagonists back together, after all, and they don't have much to go on.

But based on what we've seen before, this show has got the goods.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I just realized there's only one episode left. Holy shit. If the show delivers, it's gonna be one hell of an hour.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love the quiet conversation between Rust and Marty about what they've been up to, where you get the suggestion that

SPOILER Show
Rust is planning to kill himself and came back to tie up loose ends before he goes away.

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-03-04 08:12:15)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://24.media.tumblr.com/2d08d9a2f2d34219c5abab41ecdc30fd/tumblr_n17pxfV9WM1tpqd4ao6_r1_1280.png

Lower right is coming back with a vengeance on Sunday. It has to - can't be a coincidence that Marty's daughter recreated what we saw on the VHS tape.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/filestorage/Avi7OHmatthew-mcconaughey-dallas-buyers-club-rust-cohle-movies-ecards-someecards.png

I wouldn't put it past this show if that acceptance speech somehow had clues built into it that tie back to the narrative.

RUST is watching the Oscars. Matthew McConaughey is giving his acceptance speech. MARTY enters.

RUST
That guy's in on it.

MARTY
You're crazy!

RUST
I'm TELLIN' YOU, Marty! Don't listen to the words.
Listen to the back side of the words.

MARTY
That's nuts. You KNOW that sounds nuts.

RUST
You know who else?

TV cuts to Kevin Spacey.

RUST (CONT.)
That dude.

MARTY
What?!

RUST
It's all a house of cards, Marty. And it's all
comin' down.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-03-04 16:16:41)

Someone cut McConaughey's acceptance speech into the tape that infuriated Marty in Sunday's episode.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Last night's episode killed a lot of my remaining goodwill, to be honest. When did this turn into such a rote detective drama?

HA! Very funny. This show was always a rote detective drama. Now that we know the truth about what happened between the guys in 1995 and 2002, we're stuck with trying to solve the actual case, which has never been very interesting. The character stuff between Rust and Marty continues to be very good, but there was some other shit that was just dumb.

Show
Like that whole fucking scene in the storage locker. Why the hell waste all that precious screen time having Rust attempt to explain the tenuous threads of this case to a man for whose detective skills he has expressed little respect, when he could've just showed Marty the fucking VHS tape immediately? Rust already knows Marty can't stand it when bad shit happens to kids. And the audience surely did not need a refresher; we saw all of this last week. All Rust needed to do was walk in, show Marty the tape, tell him where he found it, and that's it. Everything else was entirely pointless.

Also, I find it pretty amazing how every scene with Maggie manages to annoy me more than the last. Her scenes with Marty are cliche as hell, and in her scenes with Rust, she's calculating and manipulative. Every other time she opens her mouth, I wonder why she's being such a bitch to Rust. And the way she used Rust to get back at Marty was just as loathsome as Lisa telling Maggie about the affair to get back at Marty. Rust's line about her asking him to lie to her essentially makes her culpable for Marty's years of cheating. Ugh.

But this episode did end on very good note for me. Because as pointed out on a forum for LSU sports fans,

Show
Lawnmower dude deliberately sent the two black detectives in the wrong direction.

It's a small touch, missed by almost everybody, but very nice.

Last edited by Cotterpin Doozer (2014-03-04 17:31:19)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, as I semi-ironically pointed out to Paulou and Cloe when we watched this episode, he's mowing a

SPOILER Show
flat circle.

SPOILER Show
http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/1287666826226.png

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:

Show
Lawnmower dude deliberately sent the two black detectives in the wrong direction.

Towards 'PR 1435':

"The king's favor is toward a wise servant: but his wrath is against him that causes shame."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We moved over the weekend, so I've been completely exhausted and half awake most of the time.  This morning I got my son out of bed, changed him, and began our morning routine of breakfast and a little bit of Team UmiZoomi that I had on DVR.  After that I showered, got dressed, and started making my breakfast.  It was here that I realized I was one off on the DVR, and Grayson had made it into 20 minutes of True Detective instead Team UmiZoomi. 

Grayson was.....oddly quiet.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Eddie you buried the lead. Who does your kid think the yellow king is?!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

He's narrowed it down to 3 suspects.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/234/2/5/royal_team_umizoomi_by_andrewsurvivor-d5c1wwh.jpg

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-03-04 20:41:58)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

clap

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SPOILER Show
Part of the reason Rust didn't show Marty the videotape right away is because he was walking Marty thru the evidence chronologically, in the order in which he discovered it. In real life, yeah, you show the guy the most compelling evidence first. But in a story, where you have an audience who is trying to keep the timelines straight, you might want to do it chronologically so as not to cause confusion. (The way they did it, it's more clear that Rust committed the break-in after he interviewed the guy at the bar, for example.) Also, again, it's a scene in a story -- so capping off the scene with the most shocking bit of evidence is more of a dramatic coup de grace than if they'd have ended the scene with the most trivial piece of evidence.

Last edited by Rob (2014-03-04 21:43:44)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Storytelling aside, I don't think it was an illogical process. Rust wanted to walk Marty through the whole thing. He'd have had to do it at some point anyway.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Well yeah. It's fair to criticize the scene as an information dump (it was), but the fact is it wasn't needless nor was it a rehash of stuff we knew.

SPOILER Show
The whole conceit of the scene is new information: we knew Rust had a storage locker but didn't know what was in it. We learn what's in it. We didn't know he'd done the break in and got that tape. We learn that. I'll stop there. But it's all new information. We knew the dots, but the point of the scene is Rust telling Marty (and therefore us) how they're connected.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I laughed harder at this than I probably should have.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The episode still could have been more economical and needed to end with more of a bang. The whole first scene in the bar was unnecessary. They could have gone from the side of the road to the storage locker. Then the ending is the suspect(s) discussing the fact that they know our boys have drawn a bead on them and they need to do something about it.

As is, this would have worked better if there was one more episode between it and the finale, I think. We've got our protagonists back together and on the right track. We reveal the suspect. Next up is tension moving to action. Then the finale is a raid or something; all action and a strong resolution of our characters. We need 10 minutes just for Marty to unspool Rust.

Rob wrote:

SPOILER Show
Also, again, it's a scene in a story -- so capping off the scene with the most shocking bit of evidence is more of a dramatic coup de grace than if they'd have ended the scene with the most trivial piece of evidence.

The problem is that it felt artificial - an unnecessary information dump capped off by a dramatic reveal that really doesn't make any sense for our characters.

Show
Rust has explicitly said he has no respect for Marty's skills as a detective and later expresses surprise when Marty manages to pull off a complicated bit of police work. So why would bother to carefully detail all the evidence in chronological order before getting to the tape? He didn't attempt to explain it to Gilbough and Papania, and at that point, Marty hasn't shown any more inclination to believe Rust than those two did. The whole thing should have been: Rust explains how he got the tape, he shows Marty the tape, Marty reacts, end scene. Save all of the rest of it for a later scene once Rust has moved everything out of the storage shed and into Marty's office. Then you can spend all the time you need connecting the dots for the audience in a time and place that makes a hell of a lot more sense.

And oh my God, that storage shed. What the fuck was that? It looked exactly the way Gilbough and Papania would expect it to look if Rust really was an insane serial killer. But it's also completely out of character for Rust, who hasn't actually said or done anything crazy during the whole show. The fact that other characters keep saying that Rust is crazy is not the same thing as him actually being crazy. Like Marty said, his behavior during the interview was him sizing up the two detectives. He's violent and has anti-social tendencies, but the idea that he would take the time to paint that ridiculous spiral on the shed door was painfully stupid.

After all of the endless talk about what a nutter Rust is and groundless speculation about whether or not he's the killer, how much more interesting it would be if the two walk in and we see that it's just a normal storage shed? There are a few boxes of evidence, a small table with a TV and VCR, and the map of all the disappearances hanging on the wall. Marty is also caught by surprise, having expected it to be crazy town inside. But instead we see that despite his own personal downward spiral, Rust is earnestly pursuing this case. If fits his MO much better, which has been thrill-seeking and violent (borderline suicidal at every chance), but also orderly with a close attention to detail.

Thumbs up Thumbs down