Re: Iron Man 2

Yeah, Science-Beyond-Current-Reckoning is the magic bean in the Marvel universe. A second magic bean would be non-science-related magic. I think Marvel accepts that also, but it always felt wrong to me.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

HOLY SHIT DUDE.

I am so in.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

If they fuck this up I'm gonna be super pissed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That last shot of him trudging through the snow was all kinds of awesome. I can't wait for this, I hope it's as good as it looks.

Could have done with the house collapse bit being a surprise though but that's trailers for ya.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

HOLY SHIT DUDE.

I am so in.

Hopefully it won't be converted into 3D...

Seeing that is making me realize the inherent problem with this series.
The most compelling part is when he doesn't have the suit (first 30 min of Iron Man 1).

Like more than anything, I think the most interesting thing would be to see him lose the suit, and then have to take on all the bad-guys without his tech, because then he'd feel vulnerable and be against all odds.

Whenever he's got the suit it's like a movie where the main character has cheat codes, cause he's basically unstoppable and has an endless supply of weapons and gadgets to destroy everyone with, so it's hard to keep the tension up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, that's a problem common to many superheroes. However, to a certain extent, the act of coming up with a way that temporarily blocks the power of the hero can make for much more dynamic and interesting story. It doesn't always work, granted, as I think the prevalence of kryptonite became a bit of a joke with Superman, but the premise of the unpowered hero having to survive a battle until his powers return can be really tense and exciting. Especially since the part where the hero then gets his power/mojo is often a thrilling 'oh yeah' moment. Which is probably why one of my favourite parts in Iron Man 2 is the encounter with Whiplash on race track. I guess what I'm saying is that even though it's a problem inherent to the series, that doesn't necessarily cripple it.

Why/how Iron Man loses the suit is just as interesting as him getting the suit in the first place. And why he cannot use the suit even more so. I'd always hoped that the third movie would be about a conflict with his own government, the foundations of which had been laid in the second part, so he couldn't just punch his way to victory since that would have meant going up against his own people.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-feige-sa … -and-more/

Good news, everyone! SHIELD won't make any sort of appearance in Iron Man 3, and Feige implies that that's the direction that all of Phase 2 will take.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Who hates the Scott Pilgrim comic? WTF?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm still kinda mad at them for doing the Scott Pilgrim movie without having a single person who'd read the comics on the panel. Instead they just kinda speculated about what the comics might be like the whole time and the commentary suffers for it.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Then again, as they've said what matters is how it holds up as a movie. That it's an adaptation doesn't matter one whit.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

I'm still kinda mad at them for doing the Scott Pilgrim movie without having a single person who'd read the comics on the panel. Instead they just kinda speculated about what the comics might be like the whole time and the commentary suffers for it.

I haven't caught that one yet, but someone mentioned hating the comic in this commentary. I didn't catch who it was.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Then again, as they've said what matters is how it holds up as a movie. That it's an adaptation doesn't matter one whit.

I don't think they did the movie a disservice by not reading the comic, I think they did the commentary a disservice by not reading the comic. The movie deserves most of what they give it, but the commentary could have benefited from the added context that the comics would have provided to their analysis.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2014-09-29 07:20:42)

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman was at least familiar with it, if I recall. What you're saying is they shouldn't do the commentary for any adaptation if they haven't read the source material. It's a valid point of view, but it would mean we would have never had the commentary for The Cowboys as none of them had read the book.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's a good point, but on The Cowboys it didn't bother me that they hadn't read the book. Here, I think, is the difference: The commentary for The Cowboys mostly approaches the movie from the context of it being a western and thus them being knowledgeable about the book wasn't nearly as important as them being knowledgeable about other westerns. For Scott Pilgrim they spend a lot of time talking about the movie in the context of it being an adaption from a comic, so none of them having actually read the comic felt particularly egregious. They might have been able to avoid it by not talking about the comic at all, but being an adaption from a comic is a significant part of that film's identity, so avoiding talking about it probably would have felt really awkward.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down