Re: Dubious musical taste.

The Fleet Foxes are hard to define, because I think they're absolutely unique. You could say they're folk music, but really, they're doing their own thing. They're a Seattle band that comes and goes depending on what they feel like doing. They hadn't released anything since 2011, and got back together for a new release that got out only a few weeks ago.

My girlfriend introduced me to them a few months ago and they've quickly become a major influence for me and what defines me in music. There's a purity and intensity in the emotions they communicate through their vocal harmonies and instrumental work that I've never seen anywhere else. Robin Pecknold's (founding member, lead singer and sole writer) voice is absolutely incredible. He's a very inspiring guy. Socially anxious, he has a world of his own and fully expresses himself through his music. Starting live performances was very hard for him, but he does it 150%. We're seeing them next november and it hurts to wait until then.

Mykonos is probably my favourite, because when the second part kicks in, followed by the powerful "You go wherever you go today", it pretty much makes my heart escape my body and start a life of its own.

Same thing with the instrumental Heard Them Stirring which gives me visions of... mystical mountains. I don't know. It speaks to me.

And a last one, because White Winter Hymnal is probably their most famous.

If nothing else, if you're a sucker for incredible vocal harmonies like I am, you absolutely need to listen to everything they do. They're on Spotify.

PS: Shut up Martin.

Last edited by Saniss (2017-06-23 10:17:16)

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Yeah, White Winter Hymnal is where I'd heard of them (...through the Pentatonix cover). Very cool, thanks for sharing more of their stuff!

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Saniss, you might like The Shins, if you're not familiar.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I am, thanks to Zach Braff.

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | Twitter | 500px
"We're gonna build a great green screen, and make the traditional matte painters pay for it"
Saniss for President 2016 - "Make VFX great again"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Of course you are. I am ashamed.

http://media.giphy.com/media/3oKIPq4r6ZF410gpvW/giphy.gif

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hot damn Rhiannon Giddens is great. (The Gaelic song's video is unfortunately truncated from the full performance, but still.)

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2017-10-06 17:25:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

She reminds me of Grace Slick at a couple points, actually.

She decidedly does not remind me of Grace Slick the rest of the time.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yeah, same. That'd be a hell of a duet.

Also, never posted this here: folk-hardcore is the shit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, it's Garrison Keillor!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Stuff I've had on my work mix in the last few weeks: (It's not all noise / metal, I swear).

Master Boot Record:

Chiptune and retro-electronic stuff, but heavy as hell and geared toward fans of doom / death metal (which I am). Guy released like 5 albums out of nowhere and he's been uploading new tracks to youtube almost daily. Seems to be working on an album of videogame covers lately. I find this album to be the most satisfying one, but he's got standout tracks on all of them, IMO.

Amberian Dawn:

Cheesy power metal with an operatic style.

Arwen:

More cheesy power metal. Their stuff is worth listening to for a little while, as they tend to switch it up quite a bit throughout every track.

Nutz:

70s band that is mostly unheard-of by most people. Shame, cause just about everything I've heard from them is pretty fucking solid. I've had a couple of their albums for a LONG time, but I only ever listed to a couple tracks. I put them on my player for work and, wow, these guys were pretty damned good. Not GREAT, but really solid and worth listening to and both of the albums I have have at least a couple of genuinely great songs. Kinda shocked they don't get play at all, and that I had never heard of them prior to stumbling onto these albums about a decade ago on some random chunk of the interwebnets.

Secret Garden:

For when I need to have some lighter music. This group has made a handful of albums, and all of them are pretty fucking spectacular as relaxing music. It's like half instrumental stuff and half stuff with a singer (male or female, it varies).

The Dear Hunter:

The Dear Hunter made a new album a little while back that's ACTUALLY GOOD, as opposed to the last couple of decidedly disappointing albums they'd released prior to this. They were trying to change their sound a lot, and the lead singer decided to write a symphony as a side project (which I heard parts of and was really not liking it at all). This new album is not their best work, but it's a damn sight better than their last couple. I mean that in all sincerity. There were a few tracks on their other stuff that were pretty good, but they were doing some really fucking weird bullshit with their last couple of albums that was just not working at all. It was unlistenable, generic pop/rock, except it wasn't catchy. Not much of their music is particularly catchy, but they were trying to be and it just didn't work at all. So glad they stopped trying and went back to being ludicrously OTT and doing the crazy well-orchestrated stuff again.

So yeah. I skipped all the death metal stuff. Not many people wanna listen to Opeth and Rapture and Insomnium.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Arwen is good stuff.

Current song that is getting overplayed on my CD player:

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down