Re: The Hyacinth Disaster

Writhyn wrote:

1) If I take random person photo and morph them with another random person photo, creating a third person who doesn't exist, is that "transformative art" enough that I could use it? (obviously, you're not lawyers, but you might have some experience?)

Strictly speaking, it would be an infringement of copyright unless you had permission to modify the images. But probably no one would ever notice.

If you want to stay safe then look up stock photo sites.

Extended Edition - 137 The Best And Worst Of 2017
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Yeah, make sure it's a photo you have the rights to modify.

I don't mind if you do. If you do blend-y things it might be fun to try to incorporate *something* from each actor into the portrait, but that's honestly just vanity speaking.

I do think that in this day and age, race bending to make the cast seem more diverse than it is is slightly questionable; I don't mind it in most productions, though I'm a white dude so that opinion's barely worth the metaphorical ink on the page; but I also think with a project of this scale, nobody will give a shit.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Okie dokie, I'm just about done (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Still got some work, but it's really happening, you guys.

Before I start solidifying the site, here's a question:
Do you think the full title: "From Ember to Ashes: The Hyacinth Disaster" still works?

I like it having the |ARTSY TITLE: literal subtitle| format of books about real crises, but it is a mouthful. I've been referring to it more and more simply as "The Hyacinth Disaster" in my brain. Which works I suppose.

Just now it was suggested I just go with "Hyacinth"

Any other opinions? Obviously, Imma go with what feels right in the end, but you know I'm always open to suggestions.

EDIT:
I'm asking now, because I suspect NOBODY is going to say to their friend "Hey, have you heard of From Ember to Ashes: the Hyacinth Disaster?"
Might as well title it something that they don't mind saying aloud.

Last edited by Writhyn (2017-11-21 02:14:46)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I mean, I don't mind From Ember to Ashes. It could also be something along the lines of "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" where it has a proper title but people might refer to it more by the subtitle.

I dunno. I like the original title but agree it's a bit of a mouthful, but then most people don't say Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, they'll say Empire Strikes Back or even just Empire.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Working on the intro for the series. I'm trying to make it as brief as possible, setting up the story without going for 5 minutes tongue

Here's what I've got (it reads aloud in 61 seconds):

Show
On August 11, 2127
The mining vessel MRS Corvus, under orders from Halaesus Mining Co, departed for its third clandestine trip prospecting a rich asteroid in the territory of rival supercorporation Lykaeon Minerals.

On August 13,
The public comms network broadcast an open transmission from a captain in Lykaeon’s defense fleet: the Corvus had been apprehended with its 52 crew and its captain, Ember Roth. Ransom was demanded, on threat of destruction of the ship and personnel.

Corporate heads at Halaesus Mining ignored it.

On August 14,
Friends of captain Roth seized a chance to help her and her crew in the only way they could. Taking their ship--the MRS Hyacinth--to survey a promising asteroid, they prayed it would be worth enough to entice their employers to pay the ransom.

The following audio is directly from the black box of the Hyacinth, recorded as they carried out their desperate mission...

It's either something like this, or just go "2100's, humanity is living and working in space, here's a story." and let the dialogue unfold the situation. Any thoughts?

EDIT:
Alternatively, I could write a little pre-scene with a corporate guy ordering "you" (audience) to listen to the black box recordings and report to him what happened, and more importantly where it happened. That could put listeners in an attentive mindset...and maybe have Grimm ask whoever is listening to make it all public near the end. Hmmm. Might be cool, might be too cutesy.

Last edited by Writhyn (2017-11-21 20:39:04)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the last idea is a bit too cutesy, too video gamey. The entire "package" should be something that could feasibly be pre-recorded in-universe.

"The following is a recording of the events of August 14, 2127 recovered from the black box of the Halaesus Mining Company's Mineral Resource Ship 'Hyacinth', in operation at the Jovian asteroid mining theater. These events unfolded in reaction to the capture of the Halaesus MRS Corvus and its captain, Ember Roth, by the security fleet of rival corporation Lykaeon Minerals. Further investigation into this incident is pending." (I almost said "underway" but "pending" feels more "yeah, faceless Corporate doesn't *actually* care".)

That's more or less off the cuff, but it's drier and more clinical, as such a preface might be, as opposed to a leading narration to set up a certain mood. "...recorded as they carried out their desperate mission..." feels like it'd be part of a Twilight Zone intro or something.

I actually don't mind Writhyn's copy, but I think I do prefer where Boter's goin,' all things being equal.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do see what you're getting at Boter. Not sure I'll make the prologue "in-world," (it'd be a little weird over the music) but lemme try something like it.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I guess it depends on which side of "found footage" line you want to fall on. Is it this a radio drama in the style of a found footage *wink-wink* piece, or are you trying to maintain that illusion as much as possible?

For my personal taste I would lean towards what Boter suggested, a very clinical, governmental recap of what you are about hear on this tape. Probably even going so far as to have that in a super crisp clean sound, and then some technical mumbo jumbo with some beeps and clicks then a beep...beep...BEEEEP. leader into the recording.

But if you're wanting to have intro music, I have a feeling you're going towards the more radio drama route.

Which having an in-universe intro thing could still work, it would just have to be separate from your "episode" intro.

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy