Re: Last movie you watched

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Shazam%21_theatrical_poster.jpg

The DC live-action film universe has finally taken a clue from its animated counterparts (Lego Batman and Teen Titans) and delivered an unpretentious movie that's simply fun to watch. Gone is all the self-importance and gloom of previous installments; even the costume is taken straight out of Orgazmo. Shazam! is no masterpiece and holds no candle to Lord & Miller works, but it manages to deliver some good entertainment. It may be the long-awaited turning point for DC.

We all float down here...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Spent last week in the UK for a wedding, and watched movies on the plane:

The House with a Clock in Its Walls
Ralph Breaks the Internet
VICE (Ever time I try to remember the title of this I think it's called DICK)
Cloud Atlas

I read the House with a Clock in its Walls when I was 11 or 12 or something.  Film version wasn't bad? Wasn't great.  Ralph Movie was pretty meh.  VICE was pretty good.  Nice meta thing in the edit.  Cloud Atlas was Good. I'm glad I was on the plane, cause I prolly couldn't have sat still for it any other way.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d1/RaidersAdaptionPoster.jpg/220px-RaidersAdaptionPoster.jpg

Eight years after DiF made me aware of its existence, Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation screened at Trylon in the Twin Cities. No way in hell I was gonna miss this.

The crowd fucking LOST IT during the truck chase. R.I.P. Snickers.

smile

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61ci0l2MaKL.jpg

That this isn't frequently mentioned in the same breath as Vertigo stuns me, and to be honest I think it's the better film. Hitchcock and Connery's involvement almost makes it feel like a self-lacerating confession--Connery's Mark is a monster, a gaslighting, paternal rapist whose role as the movie's "hero" plays as a cruel joke (and is eerily reminiscent of Hitchcock's behind-the-scenes treatment of Tippi Hedrin, whose career he ruined when she refused his advances). Hedrin herself gives the best lead performance of any of the Hitchcock movies I've seen--she's a proto-Laura Palmer, a raw nerve of trauma barely covered by the criminal habits she's taken up in order to survive. Marnie succeeds where Vertigo fails--that movie's greatest weakness is its relative lack of attention to Madeline/Judy outside the lens of Scotty's obsession, while this one puts us through Marnie's torment to a degree that would be histrionic in lesser hands but instead is harrowing.

Rear Window is still my favorite Hitchcock, and that's not likely to change--besides being a masterclass in tension, it's incredibly fun to watch. This movie is decidedly not, but it takes the runner-up spot. Due for a critical reevaluation, to say the least.

Last edited by Abbie (Today 05:36:47)