Re: Saniss builds a Viking music instrument.

I'll take the dumb, minor comments.

smile

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | 500px Gallery | Instagram

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You had ZERO woodworking experience?!?
Then maybe it's your photography skills bringing it home, because that thing looks amazing.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thanks for the kind comments. smile

Nothing's particularly difficult, really. It's just a bit of sawing, glueing and sanding. You just need to follow some simple rules so things don't go south. I feel particularly lucky to live in a time where information is so widely available. I spend hours reading through woodworking forums (thank God for forums and screw you 2010s) and watching videos. It's mostly amateur experience, which is a good thing because you should always listen to professionals but their knowledge and techniques aren't always compatible with a DIY approach. Then again, I read on several different occasions about people tainting their wood by diluting their product in water and Suzie - who's professionally trained in art restoration - was like "Uh, never do that, wood will drink that water".

To be honest, I have no idea if that thing is gonna hold over time. Maybe the wood will bend because of moisture and temperature and two or six or twelve months from now, parts will split open.

You're still allowed to be an idiot, too, because once I'd glued the nut, I realized it was completely off-centered so I had to cut a bit off directly on the head, hence the dark stain in the last picture.

Last edited by Saniss (Today 09:46:23)

Sébastien Fraud
Facebook | 500px Gallery | Instagram

Thumbs up Thumbs down